Club Songs

5 minutes ago, meast said:

I have friends who are massive LUFC fans and also follow the Giants, believe me, it's an affront to them when the rhinos sing it, so no, not "all Leeds" far from it in my experience ?

I have plenty of mates who are supporters of LUFC and Cas or Wakey. I know they all take part in singing "we all hate Leeds ####" to Rhinos on Friday night, and MOT on a Saturday afternoon. I can cope with that because I'm not bitter. 

Watch a team bearing the Leeds name, or an athlete from Leeds such as Josh Warrington, and you'll get the city of Leeds' "unofficial" official anthem. It's clear LUFC support it hence the Rhinos parading the 2017 Super League trophy and the close links between the two clubs.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

I have plenty of mates who are supporters of LUFC and Cas or Wakey. I know they all take part in singing "we all hate Leeds ####" to Rhinos on Friday night, and MOT on a Saturday afternoon. I can cope with that because I'm not bitter. 

Watch a team bearing the Leeds name, or an athlete from Leeds such as Josh Warrington, and you'll get the city of Leeds' "unofficial" official anthem. It's clear LUFC support it hence the Rhinos parading the 2017 Super League trophy and the close links between the two clubs.

I might be wrong with this, but didn't Gary Hetherington buy the rites to the song a few years ago when LUFC were short of cash, to play it at Headingley before the Leeds RL games?

15 minutes ago, Gooleboy said:

I might be wrong with this, but didn't Gary Hetherington buy the rites to the song a few years ago when LUFC were short of cash, to play it at Headingley before the Leeds RL games?

I believe it was sold as part of the bonfire of the vanities after it all went wrong at Leeds United, along with the ground and all the players. May not have been but I've heard it plenty of times before - would be a good way of keeping it within a friendly environment during that period. So less Rhinos gain more mitigate LUFC loss.

I'm not sure if this "Leeds bought the rights" to Marching on Together is true.

What is true is that it's been sung at Headingley since at least the 1980s and it's not going to stop any time soon. If it offends the fans of people who attach themselves to Leeds United but support a local RL team then so much the better.

5 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

That doesn't mean to say everyone likes it, my mates can't stand Leeds Rhinos for instance, so they aren't going to get all doe eyed when the Rhinos fans sing "their" anthem.

On 21/06/2020 at 10:01, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

It'd be even more convenient for you if you were still in Ealing now!

Lyrics change depending on the amount consumed! 

Certainly would, it's only a 10-15 min walk from my old local the Drayton Court these days, so guess the lyrics would definitely change in that case haha

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

On 20/06/2020 at 19:16, bobbruce said:

Saints go marching in is traditionally Saints song.  Also you fill up my senses with altered lyrics is used by the fans. 

Did they steal the song you fill up my senses from Sheff United?

6 hours ago, M j M said:

I'm not sure if this "Leeds bought the rights" to Marching on Together is true.

What is true is that it's been sung at Headingley since at least the 1980s and it's not going to stop any time soon. If it offends the fans of people who attach themselves to Leeds United but support a local RL team then so much the better.

I can't recall ever hearing it at Headingley on numerous visits in the 80s and 90s. First time was around 2005.

23 minutes ago, Gooleboy said:

I can't recall ever hearing it at Headingley on numerous visits in the 80s and 90s. First time was around 2005.

I was there singing it in the late 80s so am pretty confident. The club probably only started playing it over the PA in the early 2000s.

8 hours ago, Gooleboy said:

I think that's just an urban myth .did Leeds united own the rights to the song or the person who wrote it ? Was it Barry Mason and Les Reed ?

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

48 minutes ago, fieldofclothofgold said:

I think that's just an urban myth .did Leeds united own the rights to the song or the person who wrote it ? Was it Barry Mason and Les Reed ?

They wrote the lyrics, but I think the tune is played by the Northern Ireland Marching Bands, and maybe that is it's origins. The Minnesota Twins Baseball fans have also hijacked it as well.

1 hour ago, M j M said:

I was there singing it in the late 80s so am pretty confident. The club probably only started playing it over the PA in the early 2000s.

I went to the Cup Final against Wigan in the 90s as I worked for Tetley's at the time, we were there as guests of Leeds being the shirt sponsor. We travelled on the Club's chartered train. And to be honest I never heard it sung that day either.

17 minutes ago, Gooleboy said:

I went to the Cup Final against Wigan in the 90s as I worked for Tetley's at the time, we were there as guests of Leeds being the shirt sponsor. We travelled on the Club's chartered train. And to be honest I never heard it sung that day either.

25 minutes ago, Gooleboy said:

And one from 1994 if that's your frame of reference.

Catalans Dragons have officially chosen the Catalonian 'national' anthem, Els Segadors, as the club's anthem.  Here is a performance of it:

The words are here:

http://www.catalansdragons.com/en/articles-133/135-4194-catalans-dragons-anthem/

On 21/06/2020 at 08:20, AB Knight said:

Castleford claim Sweet Caroline as their own song but there were clubs using it long before. I guess this is their official winning song though.

York only really have ‘When The Knights Go Marching In’ but I’ve long thought with a bit of creativity ‘All Day All Of The (K)Night’ by The Kinks could be adapted and sound good/original. Wouldn’t say the club have a victory song though (apart from in the changing rooms), ‘Crazy Nights’ by Kiss is sometimes played and there’s a horrible dance song the players come out to, neither really gets you going.

I remember for a season or two St Helens fans put their own words to ‘Anarchy In The UK’ which was clever.

I despise Marching On Together being sung by Leeds Rhinos or any other team than Leeds Utd.

When Fev lost at Leigh early last season they played Sweet Caroline - didn't go down too well with the Fev fans!

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

8 minutes ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

Catalans Dragons have officially chosen the Catalonian 'national' anthem, Els Segadors, as the club's anthem.  Here is a performance of it:

The words are here:

http://www.catalansdragons.com/en/articles-133/135-4194-catalans-dragons-anthem/

I heard this at Catalans in 2017.  Shortly afterwards independent Catalunya was declared in Barcelona and I wondered if the two were connected. Perhaps not.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

Just now, Trojan said:

I heard this at Catalans in 2017.  Shortly afterwards independent Catalunya was declared in Barcelona and I wondered if the two were connected. Perhaps not.

The ballot papers for that vote were made in French catalunya and brought across the border after the Spanish police seized many on the Spanish side.

10 minutes ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

The words are here:

Got my flag like that up in my room now!

On 20/06/2020 at 23:54, marklaspalmas said:

Featherstone followers have a melodious reinterpretation of "Que será, será"  incorporating parental advice about social etiquette viz a viz Castleford followers.

Followed by the chant "we hate Cas" no matter who they're playing (8 years since they played Cas in a serious game)

Clement Attlee.

Archived