Statement / update from Sheffield Eagles

https://www.sheffieldeagles.com/Eagles-News/article/a-statement-from-chairman-chris-noble-mbe

As positive as possible in the circumstances. It's not normal for RL to pull in one direction, but if they don't do it now, the sport is in real trouble.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

13 minutes ago, tim2 said:

https://www.sheffieldeagles.com/Eagles-News/article/a-statement-from-chairman-chris-noble-mbe

As positive as possible in the circumstances. It's not normal for RL to pull in one direction, but if they don't do it now, the sportr is in real trouble.

Cant argue with anything he has said total honesty:)

Just depressing those development officers that Richard Lewis worked so hard to put in place with the sports council funding have gone:(

Paul

Good to see news coming on the player development front and pathways in Sheffield which is key. 

Disappointing though that work has ground to a halt on the stadium. I had hoped that might be progressing in the background. A lot of construction has been up and running for a while, so what’s the hold up?

I wasn't aware that Martin was in hospital - so very best wishes to him.He makes friends wherever he goes.

Great that a club chair finds the time for supporters.

Disappointing,yet not surprising,about the stadium construction.

Good news being that they still exist for 2021 and beyond.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

1 hour ago, DoubleD said:

Good to see news coming on the player development front and pathways in Sheffield which is key. 

Disappointing though that work has ground to a halt on the stadium. I had hoped that might be progressing in the background. A lot of construction has been up and running for a while, so what’s the hold up?

Isn't the project council funded ?

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

2 hours ago, Marauder said:

Isn't the project council funded ?

No.  Kevin McCabe's company are supposed to be building the stands.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

On 21/06/2020 at 13:26, Angelic Cynic said:

I wasn't aware that Martin was in hospital - so very best wishes to him.He makes friends wherever he goes.

Great that a club chair finds the time for supporters.

Disappointing,yet not surprising,about the stadium construction.

Good news being that they still exist for 2021 and beyond.

I have been speaking to Martin by phone almost weekly

Next time I speak I will check he has seen the club message although it is almost certain he has and ask if he wants to update or if I can send a message on his behalf

He does have an account on here but has not posted for sometime

• 1 month later...

On the day the death of a former director is reported, I checked for the latest news on the proposed stadium development for Sheffield Eagles.

I was surprised to find the club had lost money for the failure of others - and that a minimum number of seats will be constructed as the proposed stadium development takes shape.

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/people/delayed-sheffield-olympic-legacy-park-developments-resume-september-best-case-scenario-2912766

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

1 hour ago, Angelic Cynic said:

On the day the death of a former director is reported, I checked for the latest news on the proposed stadium development for Sheffield Eagles.

I was surprised to find the club had lost money for the failure of others - and that a minimum number of seats will be constructed as the proposed stadium development takes shape.

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/people/delayed-sheffield-olympic-legacy-park-developments-resume-september-best-case-scenario-2912766

Is the women's football team still active and will they still be playing there? 

47 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Why not read the link! You might find out.... 

I must have selective reading, don't know how I missed it the first time. 

So for the time being the Eagles will be the only tenants it seems. 

8 hours ago, The Daddy said:

Sheffield need to look at what Newcastle Thunder have done and implement the same blueprint across South Yorkshire and Derbyshire. If they can do that then they have a great chance of success 

Although it's great what Thunder have done and definitely a blueprint the sporting scene is different in Sheffield. 2 large soccer clubs don't help in the city with many other football league clubs in close proximity and with 2 rugby union clubs having their own ground too. That's amongst the other non league soccer, ice hockey and Basketball and speedway. There is alot to compete for. The ideal solution would be a potential tie up with one of the unis? 

2 hours ago, HarrogateKnights said:

Although it's great what Thunder have done and definitely a blueprint the sporting scene is different in Sheffield. 2 large soccer clubs don't help in the city with many other football league clubs in close proximity and with 2 rugby union clubs having their own ground too. That's amongst the other non league soccer, ice hockey and Basketball and speedway. There is alot to compete for. The ideal solution would be a potential tie up with one of the unis? 

They played first team at one of the unis' grounds in 2016.  Development grades played there for several years when they were allowed to have development grades. They train at both.  They've been sponsored by one of them.  What exactly do you mean by "tie up" ?

Just wondering, like.

Very sad to hear of the death of Ian Anniss. A great servant to both the Eagles and the community game in South Yorkshire.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

13 minutes ago, tim2 said:

Very sad to hear of the death of Ian Anniss. A great servant to both the Eagles and the community game in South Yorkshire.

I would echo that view, and send my condolences to his son Matt, who used to write frequently for League Express.

Ian did a wonderful job for Rugby League in Sheffield, both professionally and with the Hillsborough Hawks, and he will be sorely missed.

9 minutes ago, Martyn Sadler said:

I would echo that view, and send my condolences to his son Matt, who used to write frequently for League Express.

Ian did a wonderful job for Rugby League in Sheffield, both professionally and with the Hillsborough Hawks, and he will be sorely missed.

His other son Simon played 9 for Leicester Storm in the Midlands Prem for quite a few years.

On 21/06/2020 at 12:30, ATLANTISMAN said:

Cant argue with anything he has said total honesty:)

Just depressing those development officers that Richard Lewis worked so hard to put in place with the sports council funding have gone:(

Paul

From what I recall significant amount of funding was given for capital investments, the remainder was given due to the ambitious targets relating to increased participation proposed by Lewis. When those targets were not met it affected funding, other sports were similarly affected. Of course the RFL could have decided to fund the develop officers by other means, but chose not to. Despite all the good work he did Lewis is as much to blame as anybody.

10 hours ago, Griff said:

They played first team at one of the unis' grounds in 2016.  Development grades played there for several years when they were allowed to have development grades. They train at both.  They've been sponsored by one of them.  What exactly do you mean by "tie up" ?

Just wondering, like.

I suppose it's down to the ambition of Sheffield and what league they want to be in. At the moment the crowds aren't the biggest so they could easily link up with say Sheffield Hallam to help cover costs of ground facilities with them playing games there etc and have the uni sports courses there too. 

13 hours ago, HarrogateKnights said:

I suppose it's down to the ambition of Sheffield and what league they want to be in. At the moment the crowds aren't the biggest so they could easily link up with say Sheffield Hallam to help cover costs of ground facilities with them playing games there etc and have the uni sports courses there too. 

Easily ?

Maybe overlooking that the ground itself doesn't belong to the Eagles.

20 hours ago, tim2 said:

His other son Simon played 9 for Leicester Storm in the Midlands Prem for quite a few years.

I played with Simon at Uni in Birmingham and he first took me up to Hawks in the Easter of my 3rd year. Great family, true RL family and a real top man. Will be missed in the city for his hard work and dedication to the furthering of the sport. Would be really nice if we could have a nice ground and something named after him (a suite etc) to honour somone who did so much for keeping the Eagles going.

11 hours ago, HarrogateKnights said:

What do you mean "Have the uni sports courses there too"?

Hallam are building quite a few new buildings at the moment (although I am sure some building plans are now on hold as who knows what they will need as things change) but the advanced well being centre is already at the Olympic legacy park which is nutrition etc and the English Institute of sport is literally down the road. Hallam do not need to partner with Eagles to use a 4G pitch that Eagles cant leverage anyway. 

Eagles should be working with Hallam and in a number of ways they already are, there are links. They could do more for sure but I am not sure what Hallam would gain from such a partnership at the moment. 

Archived