super league re start

On 22/06/2020 at 11:28, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

How about getting some SL on terrestrial as per the Premier league

Sky has the pick of their 2/3 games then put two more a week on BBC

Not sure why Sky would bother getting involved with the BBC, when they have their own terrestrial outlet in Pick TV. They've shown some PL Football there recently. Standard definition only on Freeview, though.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Not sure why Sky would bother getting involved with the BBC, when they have their own terrestrial outlet in Pick TV. They've shown some PL Football there recently. Standard definition only on Freeview, though.

If they had any sense they would make it a bigger terrestrial channel.... 

The kick and clap have a few Gallagher Prem games on Channel 5 live each year.... Gets more people interested 

7 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

If they had any sense they would make it a bigger terrestrial channel.... 

The kick and clap have a few Gallagher Prem games on Channel 5 live each year.... Gets more people interested 

Yes, they do that to cover up the decrease in their last rights deal.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Looks like there will be a decision made on Friday around the number of rounds and key fixture dates for this season:

https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/super-league-return-dates-leeds-rhinos-castleford-tigers-and-wakefield-trinity-be-confirmed-week-2892593

Additionally, the French are allowing crowds of up to 5000 from July:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/steve-mcnamara-positive-over-crowds-22240641

49 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

Looks like there will be a decision made on Friday around the number of rounds and key fixture dates for this season:

https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/super-league-return-dates-leeds-rhinos-castleford-tigers-and-wakefield-trinity-be-confirmed-week-2892593

Additionally, the French are allowing crowds of up to 5000 from July:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/steve-mcnamara-positive-over-crowds-22240641

Thanks for the article....There was no way they could run all those games as first thought...the players bodies will breakdown with two games a week (ad naseum).

If they cut out a large chunk of practice time that would be max.

13 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Scrap the Challenge Cup for this year, move four of the five midweek games to the weekends allocated for the Cup and it’s a lot better already. 

The Challenge Cup and the  Internationals ( already gone ) are the major income streams for the RFL itself . Could well go bankrupt without them - would and probably already has put them in a very tight corner to say the least

2 minutes ago, del capo said:

The Challenge Cup and the  Internationals ( already gone ) are the major income streams for the RFL itself . Could well go bankrupt without them - would and probably already has put them in a very tight corner to say the least

Cannot see them generating any money out of it this year anyway. Crowd restrictions still look likely so you could have a very small crowd for the Final. 

27 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Cannot see them generating any money out of it this year anyway. Crowd restrictions still look likely so you could have a very small crowd for the Final. 

Plus the problem of the Championship clubs still in the Cup if their league doesn't restart. Can't see them wanting to go back into full training for what might just be one game and they'd probably have the cost of CV testing as well.

22 minutes ago, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

Plus the problem of the Championship clubs still in the Cup if their league doesn't restart. Can't see them wanting to go back into full training for what might just be one game and they'd probably have the cost of CV testing as well.

Exactly. Think it could be far too costly. 

Leeds estimate (and I take figures from them with a pinch of salt) losses of £4m over this season and next (they usually make a profit).

https://www.therhinos.co.uk/2020/06/24/leeds-rhinos-coronavirus-lockdown-update/

“We are predicted to make a £4 million loss over the next 18 months because of the impact of the lockdown and obviously there are additional costs to deal with the challenges of Covid 19. Our players have been exemplary over this period and, along with all our staff, they have played their part by agreeing wage reductions to lessen the impact whilst we have been without income.

45 minutes ago, M j M said:

Leeds estimate (and I take figures from them with a pinch of salt) losses of £4m over this season and next (they usually make a profit).

https://www.therhinos.co.uk/2020/06/24/leeds-rhinos-coronavirus-lockdown-update/

It was always going to affect the clubs more whose business models are based over and above SKY/Match day revenue Leeds have wonderful facilities and with receptions/functions etc thats a huge amount of revenue down the drain.

GH has done a brilliant job at Leeds over the last few years in reality its the only club corporately up there with the likes of other sports in terms of prestige I hope that everything gets back to normal for them soon (And everyone else)

Looking at all the teams again in SL (And this is only my opinion) Catalan and Toronto will come out of this the strongest followed by Huddersfield and Warrington at the bottom end Hull FC and Wakefield will need some serious new investment.

On 23/06/2020 at 09:47, Hela Wigmen said:

I’m throwing the cat amongst the pigeons here...Toronto and their twenty-two man squad finish bottom having never played a home game in Canada in 2020, should they be relegated?

What would you say if all games for ease of production and broadcast costs were played at a very few chosen grounds like Headingley or HJ or Totally Wicked, if no attendances are to be allowed, then most teams will not play any further games at their own ground.

Up to the lockdown being imposed TWP did not play any home games simply because they physically could not do so, neither were they scheduled to have played any, that is no fault of anyone's, TWP entered the British game knowing full well that the weather conditions in Canada would mean they are different from any other team in whatever league they played in, I consider that they have been treated as fairly as they possibly could have and I honestly do not see why we should have to alter anything just to accomodate them, if we (hopefully) carry on the season with P&R and they finish bottom then yes they are the team who should be relegated.

9 hours ago, Whippet13 said:

Right concept but should be at a neutral venue, why should Leeds get a home advantage and everybody else not ?

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

3 hours ago, Saint Toppy said:

Right concept but should be at a neutral venue, why should Leeds get a home advantage and everybody else not ?

I agree, if the games were all to be played at Leeds or Warrington as has frequently been suggested then Leeds should play at Warrington and Warrington play at Leeds so that none of the clubs play at home even in empty stadiums. I doubt that will happen though. It is perhaps why neutral venues rather than SL club grounds should have been considered. It would be possible to do the tv broadcasts from Odsal or LSV for example and have no teams playing at their own grounds until such time as we can play in front of crowds again.

3 hours ago, Saint Toppy said:

Same as Parra, Wests, Brisbane, Melbourne and North Queensland have had with "neutral venues" in the NRL restart. Can only make do with what you've got.

7 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Same as Parra, Wests, Brisbane, Melbourne and North Queensland have had with "neutral venues" in the NRL restart. Can only make do with what you've got.

We do have ways around the problem of one or more competing teams playing at home when others can't though. I gave two solutions in my previous post. I do doubt that anything will be done to avoid Leeds/Warrington/St Helens (depending on which grounds are used) getting multiple games on their own pitch while the rest all play away games only but there are easy ways to avoid that if the SL chooses to.

4 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

I'm not sure it matters for this round as these are the catch up games for the ones that should have been played earlier in the season  

Also the home advantage is a bit of a mess anyway as clubs already havent played the same amount of home games 

I take your point about the catch up fixtures but the issue comes when the full restart begins. If for arguments sake 6 rounds get played at "neutral" venues e.g Headingley and HJ before clubs can return to playing at home then for all clubs bar Leeds and Warrington all 6 would be on an away pitch whereas Leeds and Wire could both have played up to 6 games on their home pitch with which they are very familiar (knowing the way our sport plans and thinks ahead quite possibly all 6). However big or small it is considered to be that does constitute an advantage given to those host clubs. By using non SL club grounds or having Leeds play at HJ and Warrington at Headingley then all 12 clubs play away games only for the duration. We are never going to get to a situation this season of it being exactly equal in terms of games played H&A for all 12 (or the 11 clubs other than Toronto) but we don't need to create an unevenness/advantage where it need not be created.

3 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

It's an increase in costs though. And Toronto havent played at all at home yet  

I get the unfairness but the integrity of this season is already a bit shattered. Theres going to need to be a bit more pragmatism on finishing this year

Why shouldn't the clubs hosting the "neutral" venues share in that pragmatism? Why should every club bar the chosen hosts have to fork out more on travel to games? Costs for venue hire would be the same either way.

Toronto unfortunately will always be an outlier this season whatever we do. Hence part of the debate over the fairness of relegation in terms of disruption to fixture lists. The closest to fixture parity they can get would be if no other games were played at a home venue for anyone but even so all other clubs have had some home games already. 

1 hour ago, wiganermike said:

We do have ways around the problem of one or more competing teams playing at home when others can't though. I gave two solutions in my previous post. I do doubt that anything will be done to avoid Leeds/Warrington/St Helens (depending on which grounds are used) getting multiple games on their own pitch while the rest all play away games only but there are easy ways to avoid that if the SL chooses to.

Tough luck I suppose.

We only have 3 RL controlled venues of suitable standard in Super League, they'll be the priority for a sport that will struggle financially to be covid-secure. That they have the capacity to host multiple fixtures also helps.

8 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Tough luck I suppose.

We only have 3 RL controlled venues of suitable standard in Super League, they'll be the priority for a sport that will struggle financially to be covid-secure. That they have the capacity to host multiple fixtures also helps.

I am not disputing that we have limited choice in venues just saying that just because some games will happen at Headingley doesn't mean that Leeds have to play in those games. After all we don't need to be attracting the Leeds public to attend them. If Leeds played their games at the other host venue and the other host club played at Headingley for the duration we still play at RL controlled grounds and Leeds (or whatever entity officially owns the ground) still get the same income from it being rented. Just because a club can host multiple games in this situation it doesn't follow that you need to give them an advantage of home games when almost all other clubs have to play away. I would take the same view if it was the DW and not Headingley being used.

47 minutes ago, wiganermike said:

I am not disputing that we have limited choice in venues just saying that just because some games will happen at Headingley doesn't mean that Leeds have to play in those games. After all we don't need to be attracting the Leeds public to attend them. If Leeds played their games at the other host venue and the other host club played at Headingley for the duration we still play at RL controlled grounds and Leeds (or whatever entity officially owns the ground) still get the same income from it being rented. Just because a club can host multiple games in this situation it doesn't follow that you need to give them an advantage of home games when almost all other clubs have to play away. I would take the same view if it was the DW and not Headingley being used.

Just seems like you're over thinking it mate. No way are clubs going to traverse the M62 for "home games" when their home venue is available. 

See it more as how these are the only 3 venues that can be used, good that Leeds, Saints and Wire are willing to share them to enable games to go ahead. 

As it stands Cas, KR and Wakey are being deemed sub par regarding investment to ensure covid-secureness, and Salford, Wigan, Huddersfield and Hull FC all share their venues.

Archived