9 hours ago, Whippet13 said:

Right concept but should be at a neutral venue, why should Leeds get a home advantage and everybody else not ?

Lets Get Brexit Done !!!!!

3 hours ago, Saint Toppy said:

Right concept but should be at a neutral venue, why should Leeds get a home advantage and everybody else not ?

I agree, if the games were all to be played at Leeds or Warrington as has frequently been suggested then Leeds should play at Warrington and Warrington play at Leeds so that none of the clubs play at home even in empty stadiums. I doubt that will happen though. It is perhaps why neutral venues rather than SL club grounds should have been considered. It would be possible to do the tv broadcasts from Odsal or LSV for example and have no teams playing at their own grounds until such time as we can play in front of crowds again.

Edited by wiganermike
corrected verb tense used incorrectly
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Saint Toppy said:

Same as Parra, Wests, Brisbane, Melbourne and North Queensland have had with "neutral venues" in the NRL restart. Can only make do with what you've got.

7 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Same as Parra, Wests, Brisbane, Melbourne and North Queensland have had with "neutral venues" in the NRL restart. Can only make do with what you've got.

We do have ways around the problem of one or more competing teams playing at home when others can't though. I gave two solutions in my previous post. I do doubt that anything will be done to avoid Leeds/Warrington/St Helens (depending on which grounds are used) getting multiple games on their own pitch while the rest all play away games only but there are easy ways to avoid that if the SL chooses to.

4 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

I'm not sure it matters for this round as these are the catch up games for the ones that should have been played earlier in the season  

Also the home advantage is a bit of a mess anyway as clubs already havent played the same amount of home games 

I take your point about the catch up fixtures but the issue comes when the full restart begins. If for arguments sake 6 rounds get played at "neutral" venues e.g Headingley and HJ before clubs can return to playing at home then for all clubs bar Leeds and Warrington all 6 would be on an away pitch whereas Leeds and Wire could both have played up to 6 games on their home pitch with which they are very familiar (knowing the way our sport plans and thinks ahead quite possibly all 6). However big or small it is considered to be that does constitute an advantage given to those host clubs. By using non SL club grounds or having Leeds play at HJ and Warrington at Headingley then all 12 clubs play away games only for the duration. We are never going to get to a situation this season of it being exactly equal in terms of games played H&A for all 12 (or the 11 clubs other than Toronto) but we don't need to create an unevenness/advantage where it need not be created.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

It's an increase in costs though. And Toronto havent played at all at home yet  

I get the unfairness but the integrity of this season is already a bit shattered. Theres going to need to be a bit more pragmatism on finishing this year

Why shouldn't the clubs hosting the "neutral" venues share in that pragmatism? Why should every club bar the chosen hosts have to fork out more on travel to games? Costs for venue hire would be the same either way.

Toronto unfortunately will always be an outlier this season whatever we do. Hence part of the debate over the fairness of relegation in terms of disruption to fixture lists. The closest to fixture parity they can get would be if no other games were played at a home venue for anyone but even so all other clubs have had some home games already. 

1 hour ago, wiganermike said:

We do have ways around the problem of one or more competing teams playing at home when others can't though. I gave two solutions in my previous post. I do doubt that anything will be done to avoid Leeds/Warrington/St Helens (depending on which grounds are used) getting multiple games on their own pitch while the rest all play away games only but there are easy ways to avoid that if the SL chooses to.

Tough luck I suppose.

We only have 3 RL controlled venues of suitable standard in Super League, they'll be the priority for a sport that will struggle financially to be covid-secure. That they have the capacity to host multiple fixtures also helps.

8 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Tough luck I suppose.

We only have 3 RL controlled venues of suitable standard in Super League, they'll be the priority for a sport that will struggle financially to be covid-secure. That they have the capacity to host multiple fixtures also helps.

I am not disputing that we have limited choice in venues just saying that just because some games will happen at Headingley doesn't mean that Leeds have to play in those games. After all we don't need to be attracting the Leeds public to attend them. If Leeds played their games at the other host venue and the other host club played at Headingley for the duration we still play at RL controlled grounds and Leeds (or whatever entity officially owns the ground) still get the same income from it being rented. Just because a club can host multiple games in this situation it doesn't follow that you need to give them an advantage of home games when almost all other clubs have to play away. I would take the same view if it was the DW and not Headingley being used.

47 minutes ago, wiganermike said:

I am not disputing that we have limited choice in venues just saying that just because some games will happen at Headingley doesn't mean that Leeds have to play in those games. After all we don't need to be attracting the Leeds public to attend them. If Leeds played their games at the other host venue and the other host club played at Headingley for the duration we still play at RL controlled grounds and Leeds (or whatever entity officially owns the ground) still get the same income from it being rented. Just because a club can host multiple games in this situation it doesn't follow that you need to give them an advantage of home games when almost all other clubs have to play away. I would take the same view if it was the DW and not Headingley being used.

Just seems like you're over thinking it mate. No way are clubs going to traverse the M62 for "home games" when their home venue is available. 

See it more as how these are the only 3 venues that can be used, good that Leeds, Saints and Wire are willing to share them to enable games to go ahead. 

As it stands Cas, KR and Wakey are being deemed sub par regarding investment to ensure covid-secureness, and Salford, Wigan, Huddersfield and Hull FC all share their venues.

3 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Just seems like you're over thinking it mate. No way are clubs going to traverse the M62 for "home games" when their home venue is available. 

See it more as how these are the only 3 venues that can be used, good that Leeds, Saints and Wire are willing to share them to enable games to go ahead. 

As it stands Cas, KR and Wakey are being deemed sub par regarding investment to ensure covid-secureness, and Salford, Wigan, Huddersfield and Hull FC all share their venues.

There is plenty of time available to over think things so you could be right, until the season does resume thinking about it is all we have. In a further bout of over thinking (while typing) it occurs it is possible that this has been mitigated with for example Leeds home fixtures being allocated during the early stage of the season when limited venues are being used so that they still get the total of 11 home ties over the season. None of us have seen a revised fixture list and a new one will have needed to be drawn up. I have settled my concerns a bit on the issue now (at least until the fixtures get published or it becomes clear we will have no home games for the rest). Over thinking it got there in the end.

• Like 1

On 25/06/2020 at 09:25, Man of Kent said:

The Aussies are allowing crowds of up to 25% capacity (up to 10k) from next weekend. Interesting to see the rules for how it works in practice https://giostadiumcanberra.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/CofE_FAQs_34-July-GIO-Stad-Final.pdf

Remind me again, how many deaths have there been in Australia so far related to Covid-19?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

9 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

Remind me again, how many deaths have there been in Australia so far related to Covid-19?

Commendably few. We could be about three months behind....

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Do we have any idea of ALL the venues

LEEDS

WARRINGTON

ST HELENS

WIGAN 

HULL FC

?

Paul

It won't be Wigan or Hull FC stadia due to the football clubs both share with. The expectation is it will be Headingley plus one or both of Warrington and St Helens that host the early rounds at least.

18 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

If neutral venues are to be used , no club should play a game at their home stadium , simple as 

It's not neutral venues though, in a fair competition sense. It's single, COVID-secure venues in a practical, health sense. Sporting neutrality doesn't come into it. 

27 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

It's not neutral venues though, in a fair competition sense. It's single, COVID-secure venues in a practical, health sense. Sporting neutrality doesn't come into it. 

Then they should find neutral venues 

48 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Then they should find neutral venues 

Fortunately people running the show are a bit more practical than you seem to be. For starters find us another RL venue with three sets of SL minimum standards changing rooms.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GUBRATS said:

If neutral venues are to be used , no club should play a game at their home stadium , simple as 

It’s as far from ‘simple as’ as can be.

I suspect the clubs, players and people running the comp will be a bit more pragmatic about it all

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, M j M said:

Fortunately people running the show are a bit more practical than you seem to be. For starters find us another RL venue with three sets of SL minimum standards changing rooms.

Leigh , Doncaster 

When I had a personal guided tour of the HJ , it didn't have 3 sets of changing rooms 

2 hours ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Do we have any idea of ALL the venues

LEEDS

WARRINGTON

ST HELENS

WIGAN 

HULL FC

?

Paul

Odsal is neutral, isn't it?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

1 hour ago, GUBRATS said:

When I had a personal guided tour of the HJ , it didn't have 3 sets of changing rooms 

Maybe they won't be playing triple headers there then ...

Edited by M j M

Just now, M j M said:

Maybe they won't be playing triple headers there then ...

Couldn't care less where they play them , but if it's neutral venues , it should be neutral for everyone