Dreadful towns

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

I could go sheeitehole top trumps with Rovrum.....

Look, Cwmbran still exists so it's not as clear cut as you think.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Luton, just done a quick google and, over last few years it's been voted

Worst place to live

Worst Town in UK

Worst place to visit in UK

Worst place for anything (2016)

Winner of UK crappiest town

Jam Eater  1.(noun. jam eeter) A Resident of Whitehaven or Workington. Offensive.  It is now a term of abuse that both towns of West Cumbria use for each other especially at Workington/Whitehaven rugby league derby matches.

St Albans Centurions Website 

6 hours ago, Shadow said:

Is this whole thread just a trap to see how long before I go "Portsmouth"?

If it is I've fallen for it.

Portsmouth.

I've been to Portsmouth a couple of times with the footy, stayed in the Old Town and really liked it. The bit around Fratton looked rough as owt, though.

Can i just mention dewsbury please, for towns that seem to have gone to wall.also a special mention to eccles as have not been a shop before were the owners sat in a cage',you get what you want after hes paid.?and if your thinking of st julians bay malta,dont waste a grand, you might enjoy it better up batley park.

The visitor to Oldham will find it essentially a mean-looking straggling town, built upon both sides and crowning the ridge of one of the outlying spurs which branch from Manchester, the neighbouring 'backbone of England'. The whole place has a shabby underdone look. The general appearance of the operatives' houses is filthy and smouldering.[55]

— Angus Reach, Morning Chronicle, 1849.

Oh dear. It's not all bad, maybe Grotton, Lees...

8 hours ago, Shadow said:

Is this whole thread just a trap to see how long before I go "Portsmouth"?

If it is I've fallen for it.

Portsmouth.

I have enjoyed refined company and a nice drink in Portsmouth.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

My case for Rovrum 

It has desperately poor housing and determined ghettos for different immigrant populations .... Nice for adding to already established racial tension.

RIdiculously high levels of unemployment.

Its landscape is scarred as post industrial blight leaves a sullen hardened look where old men look haggered and broken and young uns underneath baseball bats reek havoc with little by the way of guidance, social mobility or prospects of a meaningful contribution existence.

The road system is third world.

The parks provide marketing opportunities for chemicals and livestock.... mainly young girls.

There are established no go areas.

A place where unbelievable high levels of child sexual exploitation went on for ten years without any intervention and that 75% of the local authority's councillors recieving "extra allowances" for cabinet posts were in post throughout that time.

don't try getting hold of social care or street pride for your bins.... nigh on impossible.

The school that didn't go PFI 20 years ago are crumbling. Attainment under national average....

Crime stats are outrageously high despite the efforts of a police force so under funded its like pizzin in t'wind.

The river Don is a strange colour.

The regeneration of wath main colliery is lovely. A nice lake, marina, cafe etc. Perfect for walks.... except there's been two sexual assaults there in the last month alone..... never mind the mess and damage caused by some irresponsible members of a travelling community that choose not to engage with any community spirit.

I've only just started. Its a sheeitehole.

10 hours ago, Shadow said:

Yes, but with someone from Salisbury 

Thanks, Shadow.  Class will always shine through, even in Portsmouth.  By the way, that's 'class' with a long 'a'...obviously!

40 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

My case for Rovrum 

It has desperately poor housing and determined ghettos for different immigrant populations .... Nice for adding to already established racial tension.

Its landscape is scarred as post industrial blight leaves a sullen hardened look where old men look haggered and broken and young uns underneath baseball bats reek havoc with little by the way of guidance, social mobility or prospects of a meaningful contribution existence.

The parks provide marketing opportunities for chemicals and livestock.... mainly young girls.

A place where unbelievable high levels of child sexual exploitation went on for ten years without any intervention and that 75% of the local authority's councillors recieving "extra allowances" for cabinet posts were in post throughout that time.

don't try getting hold of social care or street pride for your bins.... nigh on impossible.

The school that didn't go PFI 20 years ago are crumbling. Attainment under national average....

Crime stats are outrageously high despite the efforts of a police force so under funded its like pizzin in t'wind.

The regeneration of wath main colliery is lovely. A nice lake, marina, cafe etc. Perfect for walks.... except there's been two sexual assaults there in the last month alone..... never mind the mess and damage caused by some irresponsible members of a travelling community that choose not to engage with any community spirit.

So, just to be clear, RE, what is it about Rotherham that you don't like?

34 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

My case for Rovrum 

To be honest, most of those issues are very similar to in Hull. If I just go down the list. 

Hull's housing in some areas is horrendous leading to the council actually demolishing entire estates that are completely empty anyway because they had just been taken over by gangs of kids burning abandoned houses down and using them for their petty criminal enterprises.

There are certain areas, especially beverley road which are just immigrant communities now, all the shops are Eastern European or Islamic shops and most of the housing around those areas are HMOs full of polish or Romanian people. For the most part they are decent people, I know a few personally and a mate of mine is married to a gorgeous Romanian lass though her sister isn't interested in my advances...... The good thing about having Romanian friends is they know the dodgy Eastern European corner shops where you can buy smuggled fags and booze under the counter. 

High levels of unemployment as well

While the landscape isn't necessarily scarred cos we are still a working port and thd older docks around the old town have been converted to parks or the marina, everyone does look pretty haggered, we have the same malnourished, frail, drug addicted old men wandering around and gangs of kids of baseball caps who love a good spit as you walk past. 

The roads are ridiculously congested but that is being fixed a bit. Permission has been given to upgrade the main road through the city. Castle Street goes from the docks to the motorway straight through the middle of the city and completely cuts off the marina and that area from the city centre but there is plans to sink the road and put a couple of bridges across it which will fix the problem. That still leaves ferensway outside the railway station as a Indian-style congested road though. The amount of pedestrians and cyclists that are killed on the main roads into Hull, mainly beverley road and Anlaby road, is ridiculous. 

The parks here are basically controlled by drug dealers and those same gangs of roaming kids and the whenever the women are out and about its basically a cattle parade. 

There are also established no go areas here. Not long ago the bus companies and taxi firms got together and announced there are two estates, Orchard Park and Bransholme which they were refusing to go into at night cos kids just pelted their vehicles with stones and bricks and some drivers had been hurt. 

Must say I don't know if there's a massive amount of child exploitation going on, you dont hear much about organised gangs like you do in some places but there's often stuff in the local paper about individual paedophiles so I guess it goes on quite a bit. 

Don't know about the bin thing.

Schools here have some of the lowest attainment in the country, I think at one point they were actually the lowest. A lot of parents even send their kids to schools in beverley and other outlying commuter towns. 

Crime really high here as well, especially with drugs and antisocial behaviour and recently a hell of a lot of fly tipping. This city is so dirty with piles of rubbish just littering every street it seems. 

The River Hull is just sludge and acts as a Berlin Wall to those Red and whites bastards over there! I'm pointing towards them as I write this! 

New investment has come into the city with this building of the Siemens wind turbine factory and other renewable energy firms looking at investing. The future does look promising as this city seems to be trying to establish itself as Britain's renewable energy centre and redevelopment of the marina and fruit Market areas next to it have been fantastic bringing a massive hipster culture to the city. I hate hipsters but it makes the place look a bit better so whatever.

Unfortunately we too have a massive problem with travellers who just pitch up on school fields or parks or even the athletics stadium on occasion and vandalise, rob, steal, abuse the city to within an inch of its life despite the council providing camps for them which they don't want to go to cos they have to pay rent and the ones that do use them just wreck the toilet blocks and rewire and vandalise the electrics so they don't have to pay the bills for that as well. 

So you see, Rovrum and 'ull are essentially twins! Despite all these problems though I love my home city! ?

Dreadful Dewsbury.

Batley is delightful

'Shaw cross juniors, Birkenshaw, Mirfield, Heckmondwike Panthers, Stainland Stags and then the Heavy woolen donkeys... WARDY, STOZZA, GT, KARL OR KEAR MUST OF DROPPED A DIGIT FROM MY MOBILE NUMBER! :clapping:

Archived