Dreadful towns

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whitehaven........... what can you say. A once thriving seaport with lots of local industry ,now a drab decaying Georgian town with hardly any shops (but plenty of takeaways) with a marina added on to try and make it seem better . i am sure that Morrissey wrote the song "Everyday is like Sunday " after visiting Whitehaven for the day .

37 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Ooof..... a desperate place.... ive been once.... 

I was there one about 15 years ago, two of us were overnighting not far from there on a Saturday prior to running the Great North Run on the Sunday but our hotel had a Geordie wedding booked so the restaurant was shut to us. We looked in the road atlas and headed to the nearest town for a meal, not knowing that fine dining and consett are not words that go together. All we could find was a pizza takeaway that consisted of a window heavily armoured with mire mesh and a pizza box sized slot we were invited to put our money in and take our pizza out of. Feeling horribly southern we beat a hasty retreat and found a Bella pasta in Gateshead. Consett was so unpleasant it wasn't funny. I have never before or since been to a place in the UK that I felt such genuine pity for anyone that circumstances meant there was no where else to live. Clearly if you had to live there all other options were closed. 

Edit

The Geordie wedding however was fantastic, lager flowed like er well Lager and at 1am I was woken up by a fight in the car park between two of the bridesmaids. Apparently one of the bridesmaids had been intimate with the other bridesmaid's betrothed in a manner that was, shall we say one sided and gustatory. The first bridesmaid either witnessed or was informed of this event and proceeded to question her colleague as to her reasoning.

If I recall it went a little like this:

"WHY THE #### DID YE GIVE MY WAYNE A BLER JOB YER ####### SLOOT?"

"I DIVVENT KNAAH E WUZ YER WAYNE DID AH? E ASKED FER A BLER AND SO I GIVE IM AND E SAID IT WERE GREET.   BEST ES EVVAH HAD"

"YER ####### COW LIKE" <SLAP SLAP SLAPPITY SLAP, SCUFFLE SLAP"#####"  "WHOOER">

(sudden louder voice) YOU TWO. ####### STOP THAT RIGHT NOW. YER ROOININ CHARDONNAY'S WEDDIN"

And with that it was pretty much all over. 

(Useful point filed away, just ask and it shall be given)

10 minutes ago, Shadow said:

Clearly if you had to live there all other options were closed. 

The one place discussed on this thread (incl luton) that I genuinely feel may have the edge over Rovrum....

I found it a desperately sad, forgotten hole full of people with hooelessness in their eyes.....

11 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

The one place discussed on this thread (incl luton) that I genuinely feel may have the edge over Rovrum....

I found it a desperately sad, forgotten hole full of people with hooelessness in their eyes.....

I genuinely hope there is nowhere worse because it's enough of an affront to us all that a place like that exists, if there were somewhere worse it would be unforgiveable.

The co-disposal of Hazardous Waste and Non-Hazardous Wastes was banned on landfill sites in the 1990's. England was left with only 11 commercial landfill sites for Hazardous Wastes. Three were in a single suburb of Middlesbrough.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

32 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Just remembered Fleetwood. Went there once about 20 years ago. Still traumatised. 

We visited in January, walked from Blackpool. In our minds we expected to be visiting a quaint old fishing town.....not sure we could have been further from the reality. Bought some chips and got the tram straight back to the metropolis.

Cleveleys was an uninteresting place too - the 'tat' charity shop capital of the world.

5 hours ago, Shadow said:

Has anyone mentioned Consett yet? 

4 hours ago, Robin Evans said:

Ooof..... a desperate place.... ive been once.... 

And yet, strangely, I believe it once had the highest per capita income of any local authority area in the country, in its heavy industry, post-war heyday.  But I agree, it's not what it used to be.  "How the mighty are fallen".

On 25/06/2020 at 09:06, Bleep1673 said:

Luton, forgettable, thats why I didn't put it on my OP

I would also nominate Slough, and Ashford, Kent or Middlesex, both awful

I refuse to comment on Bradford, as I have never been to it, Bradford-on-Avon is nice though

You are the late John Betjeman and I claim my £5!

1 hour ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

We visited in January, walked from Blackpool. In our minds we expected to be visiting a quaint old fishing town.....not sure we could have been further from the reality. Bought some chips and got the tram straight back to the metropolis.

Cleveleys was an uninteresting place too - the 'tat' charity shop capital of the world.

I seem to remember we did basically the same thing, don't really remember Cleveleys, between Fleetwood and Blackpool isn't it and you pass through on the tram. Probably was still crying when we passed through there on the way back. 

22 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I seem to remember we did basically the same thing, don't really remember Cleveleys, between Fleetwood and Blackpool isn't it and you pass through on the tram. Probably was still crying when we passed through there on the way back. 

I dislike blackpool intensely..... but lots love it. One of the reasons I've not mentioned it here. C'est la vie.... each to their own.

On 25/06/2020 at 13:58, M j M said:

No you can't. The harbour arm alone is a magnificently rejuvinated public space, the public artworks littered around are amongst the best, as a collection, in any small English town, as you say the cliff area is quite charming and the Hotel Burstin is an aggresive, brutal centrepoint which I imagine makes reactionary types heads explode (but which actually has a hidden core of graceful Victorian saloons and bedrooms.)

Sadly they allowed the both the Rotunda and the brilliantly designed pilot station to be demolished but it remains a seaside town with a great depth of interesting buildings and areas of interest and is a place I always recommend a visit to for anyone who happens to be in that part of Kent.

Lived in digs on Tontine Street (?) opposite Pipers Night club for a few year when working on the channel tunnel terminal at Cheriton. 

Some good memories of Folkestone ?

3 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Yes Cleveleys about half way between the 2. We walked straight through on our walk to Fleetwood, shame we got off the tram there a few days later...

3 hours ago, Robin Evans said:

I dislike blackpool intensely..... but lots love it. One of the reasons I've not mentioned it here. C'est la vie.... each to their own.

I'd put myself in the same bracket regarding as you regarding Blackpool - Mrs Sidestep even more so as you comes from Preston so went there quite a lot in her childhood - but we actually enjoyed our visit; stayed at one of the sister hotels to our usual Lake District haunt. The nightly starling murmuration at the North Pier was worth the trip alone although the fact that most things were shut so there was hardly anyone, particularly no partying yoof, about certainly helped!

Though I was born there and it saddens me to say it Keighley, best now described as the puss filled boil on Bradford's ######, it's one redeeming feature is Timothy Taylor's Brewery. Oh, and the fact you can be out in the open countryside from any point in it in 5 minutes.

47 minutes ago, Clogiron said:

Though I was born there and it saddens me to say it Keighley, best now described as the puss filled boil on Bradford's ######, it's one redeeming feature is Timothy Taylor's Brewery. Oh, and the fact you can be out in the open countryside from any point in it in 5 minutes.

Keighley is horrible in the centre but the Worth Valley Railway and the outer villages are gems.

One reason that Skipton looks so attractive is that most people have to  travel through Keighley or Burnley to get there.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

Archived