Dreadful towns

8 hours ago, Niels said:

I like the Wetherspoons Robin, they are affordable, safe and allow families and children. It is also very good value with refill tea and coffee.

What I disagree with is people who have money complaining about them. They can afford to go elsewhere. 

Not all Wetherspoons are the same; they reflect the surrounding area. Some are really dodgy places and some are quite pleasant.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Not all Wetherspoons are the same; they reflect the surrounding area. Some are really dodgy places and some are quite pleasant.

The one in salisbury is quite nice and only a stones throw from the site of the Novichok poisoning.

I have used it quite often but only for coffee and always make sure I have two mugs and leave a third untouched just to get as much out of Tim Martin as possible. 

1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

I can't say as I've been in many. The ones locally are awful. There are other viable options I would always choose before spoons.... just my preferences. Just cos I choose not to use them doesn't mean others can't. Plenty of pubs out there all needing our business.

Bringing this back to the thread as opposed to a tim Martin kicking (by mainly me), the spoons local to me do reflect the desperate holes they are situated and the clientel they serve. 

10 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

I can't say as I've been in many. The ones locally are awful. There are other viable options I would always choose before spoons.... just my preferences. Just cos I choose not to use them doesn't mean others can't. Plenty of pubs out there all needing our business.

Bringing this back to the thread as opposed to a tim Martin kicking (by mainly me), the spoons local to me do reflect the desperate holes they are situated and the clientel they serve. 

I occasionally meet up with a former colleague when he visits London. Quite often, we have met at the Spoons on Charing Cross Road, in a building that was one of the former sites of the Marquee Club. As long as you don't order the food, it is a decent place.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

19 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

McDonald's closed down in Bridlington quite a few years back. I said at the time that McDonald's leaving somewhere really is a sign that somewhere is dying. 

Well that begs the question , where do the backwards wearing baseball capped Chavs go to show off there cars with noisy exhausts playing loud "musack"?  And also it leaves them with nothing to throw out the car window into the street/countryside , they would lost up here with no McDonalds .

On 23/06/2020 at 19:59, Exiled Townie said:

Luton, just done a quick google and, over last few years it's been voted

Worst place to live

Worst Town in UK

Worst place to visit in UK

Worst place for anything (2016)

Winner of UK crappiest town

In 1987 I bought my first house: it was in Luton and I lived in the town for the next five years.

It was and still is a truly dreadful place, made all the worse for the fact that the ex still lives there!

I had the misfortune to live near the football ground. The local synagogue was built like Fort Knox. I was attacked and robbed by one of the 'local' gangs and by attacked I mean stabbed in the leg and hit with a brick and an iron bar.

I couldn't get out of the place quick enough.

I didn't learn though! I moved to Croydon. 

On 25/06/2020 at 09:17, Bleep1673 said:

Can I add Folkestone to the list? Apart from the buildings to the west over the cliffs, it is a dreary, dull town, and as such wasn't bombed by the Germans during WW2 as they thought it was damaged enough.

You certainly can. I had an ex who'd lived in Folkestone. She still shuddered about the place 20 years later.

10 hours ago, Number 16 said:

In 1987 I bought my first house: it was in Luton and I lived in the town for the next five years.

It was and still is a truly dreadful place, made all the worse for the fact that the ex still lives there!

I had the misfortune to live near the football ground. The local synagogue was built like Fort Knox. I was attacked and robbed by one of the 'local' gangs and by attacked I mean stabbed in the leg and hit with a brick and an iron bar.

I couldn't get out of the place quick enough.

I didn't learn though! I moved to Croydon. 

Croydon to be fair has improved a lot, always great for department stores when I was little 3 of them Kenards/Grants and one other the name of which escapes me:)

Remembered Alders LOL:)

Paul

On 24/06/2020 at 21:38, Leeds Wire said:

To be fair though, Bill Bryson is an utter tool. 

I'd rather spend a week alone in Bradford than a week in the Seychelles with Bryson.

He said of Liverpool that when he got off the train walked out of Lime Street Station he thought they were having a litter convention.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

42 minutes ago, Padge said:

He said of Liverpool that when he got off the train walked out of Lime Street Station he thought they were having a litter convention.

Never a good word to say about anyone or anything.

He complained about the lack of public transport in Blaenau Ffestiniog, in February, on a Sunday. 

An absolute ##### and a charlatan.

5 minutes ago, Leeds Wire said:

Never a good word to say about anyone or anything.

He complained about the lack of public transport in Blaenau Ffestiniog, in February, on a Sunday. 

An absolute ##### and a charlatan.

He said nice things about Wigan

Your reply will start "Like I said"

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

9 minutes ago, Padge said:

He said nice things about Wigan

Your reply will start "Like I said"

Sarah Cox on R 2 yesterday referred to Leigh as a " lovely part of the world " , top bird our Sarah ?

On 28/06/2020 at 15:12, Wolford6 said:

Two of the biggest shocks of my driving life have been:  

- turning a corner on Trafford Park and seeing a train coming towards me

- turning a corner in Grimsby and seeing a ship next to me.

I passed a tank once on the A66.  Fortunately, it was trundling the other way at about 60 miles a week.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

On 28/06/2020 at 15:12, Wolford6 said:

- turning a corner in Grimsby and seeing a ship next to me.

Grimsby?

I found a lump of that in a steak pie once.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

I'm guessing a lot of towns will become fairly dreadful from 6am tomorrow morning...

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Aberystwyth.  Back in 1990 me and the wife got married.  Due to an incident in Paris the previous year we decided to travel around the UK for our honeymoon.

We had 4 days in Stratford-upon-Haven then spent a few days in Torquay.  We then decided to visit Wales and plumped for Aberystwyth.  We went over the bridge at Bristol and drove through the Brecon Beacons turning left for Aberystwyth.

Now I do admit the weather was a trifle inclement when we arrived there and waves were battering the seafront.  But it looked a sad, tired and run down place.  So we drove straight back out and went to Llandudno for a few days.  We enjoyed Llandudno.

P.S. I enjoy watching the series Hinterland that is set in Aberystwyth.

20 minutes ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

Aberystwyth.  Back in 1990 me and the wife got married.  Due to an incident in Paris the previous year we decided to travel around the UK for our honeymoon.

We had 4 days in Stratford-upon-Haven then spent a few days in Torquay.  We then decided to visit Wales and plumped for Aberystwyth.  We went over the bridge at Bristol and drove through the Brecon Beacons turning left for Aberystwyth.

Now I do admit the weather was a trifle inclement when we arrived there and waves were battering the seafront.  But it looked a sad, tired and run down place.  So we drove straight back out and went to Llandudno for a few days.  We enjoyed Llandudno.

P.S. I enjoy watching the series Hinterland that is set in Aberystwyth.

That place is a metropolis compared to Blind River, Ontario on a hot summers day....shes a weird little place.

Archived