Dreadful towns

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, welshmagpie said:

Explain, you’ve got me curious before I google it...

Its a forlorn little place up on the coast...the ferry terminal shut down about 50 years ago...not alot going on in Blind River.  Don't drink any   homemade alcohol from  there.

2 hours ago, Robin Evans said:

Peterborough No1? Not having that... we live about 12 miles west of the City and it’s pleasantly delightful in comparison to some places I’ve lived in/near...

Waiting for my wife to get in from late shift, found this thread and I’m surprised that Grimsby is not high on a lot of lists. I used to have to sell at the local hospital as part of my territory (I also had Scunthorpe so not exactly the bright spots), and it truly was a dump.

Living in Beautiful BC we don’t have so many spectacularly bad places here, but I would say Abbotsford , Merritt and Prince George would give some UK bad towns a run for their money. If you come to Western Canada DO NOT visit any of these places!

Just now, Oldbear said:

Waiting for my wife to get in from late shift, found this thread and I’m surprised that Grimsby is not high on a lot of lists. I used to have to sell at the local hospital as part of my territory (I also had Scunthorpe so not exactly the bright spots), and it truly was a dump.

Living in Beautiful BC we don’t have so many spectacularly bad places here, but I would say Abbotsford , Merritt and Prince George would give some UK bad towns a run for their money. If you come to Western Canada DO NOT visit any of these places!

Abbotsford is where the border crossing is isn't it? It didn't seem that bad......

Linden just over the border is a pretty town.... a bit white picket fenced stars n stripes ban abortion support our boys in Iraq last time i went.....

3 hours ago, Oldbear said:

Grimsby is in my experience a town of two halves. The contrast between the somewhat run down north and east of the town and the more prosperous south and west is quite striking. The name doesn't help, though.  Maybe rename it as Niceville.  😀

3 hours ago, Oldbear said:

Still looking for the guy who put the expletive in the word Scunthorpe.

18 hours ago, Robin Evans said:

Abbotsford is where the border crossing is isn't it? It didn't seem that bad......

Linden just over the border is a pretty town.... a bit white picket fenced stars n stripes ban abortion support our boys in Iraq last time i went.....

Believe me, Abbotsford is bad and depressing. It’s the venue for the BC High School Rugby Provincial Championships, as Abby RFC have 4 fields plus the 6,000 capacity Rotary Stadium (council owned), next door. As a result I have become very familiar with the area as between them my sons have made 5 appearances in the championship, which brings teams from all over the province (24 teams make the event) and the guys are billeted in hotels close to the stadium. I was told by the guys that on the first day a couple of members of the local homeless encampment approach the teams offering to do liquor runs for a fee (remember 19 is the legal drinking age in BC), and the guys entertain themselves at night watching the fights break out in the same encampment, whilst listening to the sounds of distant gunfire. Between them Abby, Surrey and Prince George account for over 60% of BC’s murders, mostly gang related.

As for Lynden, a throwback town with lots of white picket fences and rocking chairs on the deck. It’s also the one place in Washington State that is hard line Trump supporting, and where many businesses close on Sundays as everyone attends church. However it does have the Dutch Mother, one of the best breakfast joints in Washington State.

Finally from someone who spent many years in the North East before emigrating I would second the choice of Consett as a horrible town, and also propose Ferryhill, Peterlee and Tow Law!

On 15/07/2020 at 07:29, Robin Evans said:

I skim read that and thought you were talking about Abbotsford in Sydney. I used to live there - a hole it was not, it’s about the only thing I truly miss about living in Australia, it was beautiful.

Anyway, as you were 🙂

5 hours ago, Oldbear said:

As for Lynden, a throwback town with lots of white picket fences and rocking chairs on the deck. It’s also the one place in Washington State that is hard line Trump supporting, and where many businesses close on Sundays as everyone attends church. However it does have the Dutch Mother, one of the best breakfast joints in Washington State.

Thats exactly how I remember lynden. When we were walking in the town it felt like we were agents Ward and Anderson from mississippi burning..... "never never never I say"....... the memsahib assertively instructed that I stfu immediately.

Beautiful well manicured town it was, I couldn't wait to get the hell out of there and down to the experience museum in seattle. We had coffee and left.

A place i found unnerving. 

10 hours ago, Robin Evans said:

Thats exactly how I remember lynden. When we were walking in the town it felt like we were agents Ward and Anderson from mississippi burning..... "never never never I say"....... the memsahib assertively instructed that I stfu immediately.

Beautiful well manicured town it was, I couldn't wait to get the hell out of there and down to the experience museum in seattle. We had coffee and left.

A place i found unnerving. 

There’s are lot of small towns in rural USA (and a few in Canada too) that are like Lynden, quaint but very unnerving, the sort of place where the local sheriff has his own rules and strangers are looked at very oddly,  best advice is get out of town as fast as possible.

On 26/06/2020 at 22:09, ATLANTISMAN said:

GILLINGHAM KENT TOTAL DUMP:(

Friend of my wife's lives in Rainham - supports Gillingham FC. Been to Priestfield a couple of times, and agree Gillingham is awful. Seen some absolute toilets in Kent (Sittingbourne worth repeating): Dartford, Gravesend, Maidstone, Welling.

Encountered a few shockers in the Midlands (Kettering worth repeating): Burton, Cannock, Corby, Long Eaton, Newcastle-under-Lyme, Nuneaton, Redditch, Rushden, Tamworth, Telford, Wellingborough.

1 hour ago, Hopping Mad said:

Friend of my wife's lives in Rainham - supports Gillingham FC. Been to Priestfield a couple of times, and agree Gillingham is awful. Seen some absolute toilets in Kent (Sittingbourne worth repeating): Dartford, Gravesend, Maidstone, Welling.

Encountered a few shockers in the Midlands (Kettering worth repeating): Burton, Cannock, Corby, Long Eaton, Newcastle-under-Lyme, Nuneaton, Redditch, Rushden, Tamworth, Telford, Wellingborough.

I lived in Gilligham for a couple of years. Locals said that if Kent was the garden of England Medway was the compost Heap.

2 hours ago, Wildcat said:

Of all places I have visited I would have to say Grimsby.

It certainly was Grim in Grimsby. 

I worked at the oil refinery on the outskirts of Grimsby.Was glad when my contract ended.It is indeed grim.

Thank you for your valuable contribution.

4 hours ago, Wildcat said:

Of all places I have visited I would have to say Grimsby.

It certainly was Grim in Grimsby. 

Immingham, I suppose.

One of my mates at university was from Grimsby. He was the only one of us who never went home for the vacations.

On 24/07/2020 at 12:36, Mumby Magic said:

Dundee Greenock

Bit harsh on Dundee (which is a city, really).

In that neck of the woods, I was in Montrose last September. Shocked to see how badly the place had gone downhill since my previous visit, 20 years before. The high street was seedy.

Brechin, another of the Angus towns, is also in serious decline. Plenty of boarded-up shops now (and a major drugs problem).

I'll add the west Cumbria town of Cleator Moor, for reasons obvious to anyone who has visited.

Archived