Jump to content

Dreadful towns


Recommended Posts


  • Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Not really barnsley that though is it????

I was in Goly yesterday!!

Im a Wombwell lad.....?

What is it if not part of Barnsley?

 

Her and her husband own the Thai gym (Armoury) on the main road 

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Keighley has a truly great pub band ... Howling Johnny and the Devils Rejects. Rockabilly takes on classic rock songs. A really fun time to be had by band and crowd.

They had a drummer (apparently now on a sabbatical) who carried his drums in a large suitcase. Then the suitcase became the bass drum.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Me mam's family were all from Darfield. 

Darfield is OK.... lots of memories there. Ian McMillan was off tempest ave.... like myself, he is an ex wath grammar school lad

Can you remember the garage on the left going towards barnsley from darfield, that' was the son in laws granddads, 3 big bungalows there now.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 22/06/2020 at 15:43, Robin Evans said:

Rovrum..... think of 16 Beasley Street, Chicken Town....

Time and time again it has been proven... 

No one should try and take this one away from me

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/12110898/Luton-named-worst-place-in-the-UK-do-you-agree.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Marauder said:

Can you remember the garage on the left going towards barnsley from darfield, that' was the son in laws granddads, 3 big bungalows there now.

The longbow was the first boozer I went in with who is now my wife in 1977!! It was just before that garage on the top of upperwood estate. A shop now

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Clogiron said:

 Oh, and the fact you can be out in the open countryside from any point in it in 5 minutes.

I think that's the main thing that distinguishes the Northern "worst towns" from those in the south east. Pretty much all of the Northern ones have beautiful countryside on their doorsteps. Although I suppose even Luton has Dunstable downs

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

GILLINGHAM KENT TOTAL DUMP:(

My grandmother was born in a house there and when I was in the UK I visited and took some photos of the residence.

We went for breakfast at a cafe and the tomatoes were whole peeled tinned tomatoes that had been heated in a microwave. The place was a dump.

Teens were walking around pushing strollers, smoking cigarettes and wearing ugg boots.

We joked that it was very obvious why she left for Australia.

Her uncle has a statue or two and a blue plaque in England but they are up north.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Robin Evans said:

The longbow was the first boozer I went in with who is now my wife in 1977!! It was just before that garage on the top of upperwood estate. A shop now

The garage I'm on about has gone now, it belonged to the Horrobins.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Got to agreed with Beds Bronco, Luton really is a dump, and I have been to several of the other towns named on here  - no comparison.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Jasper said:

Got to agreed with Beds Bronco, Luton really is a dump, and I have been to several of the other towns named on here  - no comparison.

I think the fact we have full employment distinguishes it from other dumps

We have no excuse here.... We choose that our town is sh*te despite the fact we could make it better

I love Luton

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I think the fact we have full employment distinguishes it from other dumps

We have no excuse here.... We choose that our town is sh*te despite the fact we could make it better

I love Luton

I worked in Bradford city centre about 40 years ago.We used to go for a couple of pints at lunchtime and there were some cracking pubs.I was a bit surprised that a couple had strippers on mid week lunchtimes.Some were that bad that people preferred to watch the cricket on TV.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Copa said:

My grandmother was born in a house there and when I was in the UK I visited and took some photos of the residence.

We went for breakfast at a cafe and the tomatoes were whole peeled tinned tomatoes that had been heated in a microwave. The place was a dump.

Teens were walking around pushing strollers, smoking cigarettes and wearing ugg boots.

We joked that it was very obvious why she left for Australia.

Her uncle has a statue or two and a blue plaque in England but they are up north.

Better or worse than Blacktown NSW?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ebbw Vale. Was on a coach once going to Brecon and it was getting dark as we were approaching Ebbw Vale and the driver stopped and turned round in his seat and asked, "is anyone getting off in Ebbw Vale?" no one said they were so the driver said, "I'll avoid it then and take the bypass". Great advert for a town, the buses want to avoid it at night!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ackroman said:

Runcorn. Its only redeeming feature is the bridge but then your out of the frying pan and into the fire.

Two bridges now - and the new one is pretty spectacular looking IMO. Most of Runcorn is pretty grim but Halton Castle has some pretty good views as far as North Wales and the Pennines, Norton Priory is well worth a visit and there's some quite attractive older areas of the town. Both Widnes & Runcorn are massively nicer than they were. Some beautiful walks from both places. 

Have we had Stevenage or Harlow yet? Hemel isn't exactly a place I'd choose to move to either.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, JonM said:

Two bridges now - and the new one is pretty spectacular looking IMO. Most of Runcorn is pretty grim but Halton Castle has some pretty good views as far as North Wales and the Pennines, Norton Priory is well worth a visit and there's some quite attractive older areas of the town. Both Widnes & Runcorn are massively nicer than they were. Some beautiful walks from both places. 

Have we had Stevenage or Harlow yet? Hemel isn't exactly a place I'd choose to move to either.

I had the pleasure of a year living in Palace Fields while working for ICI in Widnes. However it was 30 years ago!

Driving through Runcorn today is still dull and soul-less as the town's roads were designed to help you avoid the place. The new bridge helps avoid Widnes as well. It's like the planners are trying to tell us something.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Ebbw Vale. Was on a coach once going to Brecon and it was getting dark as we were approaching Ebbw Vale and the driver stopped and turned round in his seat and asked, "is anyone getting off in Ebbw Vale?" no one said they were so the driver said, "I'll avoid it then and take the bypass". Great advert for a town, the buses want to avoid it at night!

Ebbw Vale is a lovely former steelworks town, shafted by Thacher. Then the rugby team was shafted by the Newport Dragons. It's got possibly the best hospital in Wales and there are active plans to build a motor racing track there.

When I was 15, I played soccer for a year for my village's youth team.  Ebbw Vale Steelworks had a team in the Welsh Youth league but entered a reserve team (they had over 50 apprentices every year) in our league. We played them before Christmas and lost 14-1 ... we were the first team to score against them. Much later in the season, I'd been long-dropped and was having a kickabout with my mates  in  our street when my team came calling for me ... I was told that there had been a few cry-offs and, by the way, we're playing Ebbw Vale.

The pitch was bone hard and rutted so passing and bounce were unpredictable. I was told to keep running up the wing and chase after any balls cleared from our defence as this would make sure the opposition would always keep someone in defence. They might not realise that I actually had little speed and no talent. We defended desperately all game; Ebbw Vale hit the post, hit the bar and had a penalty saved. We had one chance and scored. It ended a 1-1 draw and we mobbed each other.

I'm fairly sure that I didn't actually touch the ball once in the game. I know I had blisters on my feet after it.

 

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...