Greece announces a domestic Quota

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Eddie said:

That is good news, hopefully more qualifying countries will follow their lead to help their domestic games. 

I agree. It's interesting in their statement how they say in qualification they have to have a certain number of domestic players but once you reach the World Cup its a free for all. I'd hope more teams are able to do something similar, just to give their players that elite level exposure. Having the nations league style competition would have been a good way to do this outside of World cups regularly too.

15 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I agree. It's interesting in their statement how they say in qualification they have to have a certain number of domestic players but once you reach the World Cup its a free for all. I'd hope more teams are able to do something similar, just to give their players that elite level exposure. Having the nations league style competition would have been a good way to do this outside of World cups regularly too.

Euro nations, when playing in WC qualifiers, are still bound by RLEF rules. Greece, pulled off something unusual as they started from Group C and went all the way on to qualify.

At Group C level, you can only use 4 heritage players in your 17. Group B it increase to 7. Then in the final stages it rises to 15/17. So in their last matches vs Scotland and Serbia, they were only obliged to use a minimum of 2 domestics.

Sadly though, these are RLEF rules. I would like to see IRL adopt them. I am fairly sure that in the southern hemisphere, Samoa and Cook Islands are not using any domestics. Tonga have a couple. Fiji seems to be about 50-50.

2 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

England v Greece and Samoa v Greece. Even France could well post a large score. 

Ok. But you do realise it is 8 of the 24, right? Not 8 out of 17? The article also mention a few of their players playing abroad too. They continue to considered domestic players though, no matter where they play from now on. 

1 minute ago, langpark said:

Ok. But you do realise it is 8 of the 24, right? Not 8 out of 17? The article also mention a few of their players playing abroad too. They continue to considered domestic players though, no matter where they play from now on. 

Yes, I realise that, I just don’t really want a cricket score on Greece, which is likely (see USA in 2017) in Sheffield by England. 

36 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Shame. It’s not going to be a good look for the competition and the sport when we have huge scorelines out on some nations. 

Better than having 10 Australian and 4 English sides (plus NZ and France) in the comp. 

3 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

It’s not. Certainly not for the neutral anyway. 

I’d rather see a team of mainly Greeks lose to France than a load of Ron Massey Cup players with Greek nans lose to France. 

54 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I’d rather see a team of mainly Greeks lose to France than a load of Ron Massey Cup players with Greek nans lose to France. 

I’d rather see those with Greek Nans lose by a more respectable scoreline to France than a load of Greek born players who are nowhere near the standard required at a World Cup just for some strange box ticking exercise. 

It’s not good for the competition, the fans or the sport as a whole to see such scorelines in the pinnacle competition of the sport. 

1 minute ago, Hela Wigmen said:

I’d rather see those with Greek Nans lose by a more respectable scoreline to France than a load of Greek born players who are nowhere near the standard required at a World Cup just for some strange box ticking exercise. 

It’s not good for the competition, the fans or the sport as a whole to see such scorelines in the pinnacle competition of the sport. 

In that case to suit both sides of the debate we’d be better off with a 5 team World Cup. Australia, NZ, England, France and PNG. Most of the players would be home grown and nobody would get dicked too badly. 

9 minutes ago, Eddie said:

In that case to suit both sides of the debate we’d be better off with a 5 team World Cup. Australia, NZ, England, France and PNG. Most of the players would be home grown and nobody would get dicked too badly. 

Would be fine with me. 

32 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

I’d rather see those with Greek Nans lose by a more respectable scoreline to France than a load of Greek born players who are nowhere near the standard required at a World Cup just for some strange box ticking exercise

I don't see it that way. I see it more as a case of: which of the two are more likely to be involved in the future? The local players, you would hope 10 and 20 years down the track are still involved and coaching/running teams etc. So having played in a WC will give him a certain 'status' as he then (hopefully) nurtures and inspires future generations.

Joe Smith, from Wollongong, on the other hand, could well just play his WC matches and they probably never be seen or heard from again. 

4 minutes ago, langpark said:

I don't see it that way. I see it more as a case of: which of the two are more likely to be involved in the future? The local players, you would hope 10 and 20 years down the track are still involved and coaching/running teams etc. So having played in a WC will give him a certain 'status' as he then (hopefully) nurtures and inspires future generations.

Joe Smith, from Wollongong, on the other hand, could well just play his WC matches and they probably never be seen or heard from again. 

Almost certainly the bloke from the ‘gong. 

6 hours ago, langpark said:

As they should be, because they were domestically produced and played their first senior RL in that country.

6 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Shame. It’s not going to be a good look for the competition and the sport when we have huge scorelines out on some nations. 

That will happen regardless. Having 1 or 2 domestic players in the side isn’t going to impact that

I applaud the decision of the Greeks to include eight home developed players and I believe that it will encourage interest in the WC in Greece itself, and maybe longer term in the sport. If the Greeks can built on this maybe they can develop a structure similar in size to Serbia. 

And at the WC itself, who knows, we might get a decent number of Greeks travelling to watch... Even if they are just family, friends and team mates. 

Archived