Greece announces a domestic Quota

39 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

USA domestic players in 2013 - 7. 
USA domestic players in 2017 - 11. 

As per my last post, most the same US players played in both tournaments. They were just past their best in 2017. The domestic player argument is inconsequential 

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

As per my last post, most the same US players played in both tournaments. They were just past their best in 2017. The domestic player argument is inconsequential 

2017 - Taylor Alley, CJ Cortolano, Gabriel Farley, Kristian Freed, Martwain Johnson, Andrew Kneisly, Fotukava Malu, Nick Newlin, Josh Rice, David Ulch, Matt Walsh. 

2013 - Kristian Freed, Taylor Welch, Gabriel Farley, Lelauloto Tagaloa, Craig Priestley, Mark Offerdahl, Les Soloai. 

So, we’re now clear that 2017 saw an increase of domestic Americans by 57% and now that just two of the players that played in the 2013 RLWC (that made the Quarter Finals) competed again four years later. 

The use of more domestic Americans than 2013 ended in a terrible World Cup campaign and has led to them failing to qualify for the 2021 competition. 

7 minutes ago, 17 stone giant said:

A five team "World Cup" would make RL into a laughing stock. If you can't see that, you need to give your head a wobble.

A laughing stock is a tournament in which we’re putting complete amateurs against NRL winners and State of Origin competitors. This isn’t an Emerging Nations competition, nor is it to be used as a Development comp for blokes who are amateur and who wouldn’t get a game at NCL level. It’s dangerous, it’s irresponsible, it’s pointless and it’s not helping the sport. 

5 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

2017 - Taylor Alley, CJ Cortolano, Gabriel Farley, Kristian Freed, Martwain Johnson, Andrew Kneisly, Fotukava Malu, Nick Newlin, Josh Rice, David Ulch, Matt Walsh. 

2013 - Kristian Freed, Taylor Welch, Gabriel Farley, Lelauloto Tagaloa, Craig Priestley, Mark Offerdahl, Les Soloai. 

So, we’re now clear that 2017 saw an increase of domestic Americans by 57% and now that just two of the players that played in the 2013 RLWC (that made the Quarter Finals) competed again four years later. 

The use of more domestic Americans than 2013 ended in a terrible World Cup campaign and has led to them failing to qualify for the 2021 competition. 

A laughing stock is a tournament in which we’re putting complete amateurs against NRL winners and State of Origin competitors. This isn’t an Emerging Nations competition, nor is it to be used as a Development comp for blokes who are amateur and who wouldn’t get a game at NCL level. It’s dangerous, it’s irresponsible, it’s pointless and it’s not helping the sport. 

And outline the game time those domestic players got in the 2017 WC please

7 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Now compare that with 2013 game time and we can stop this pretence 

Three played 4x, two played 3x, one played 2x and one didn’t play. 

Now you fully understand that the more domestic players you have, the worse the results are, we can move on. 

10 minutes ago, langpark said:

Also, just fir a bit of context in the "blowout scorelines debate. Let's not forget Roosters beat Broncos 59-0 just last week! I am sure nobody was concerned that NRL will lose fans over it. 

One result in hundreds and hundreds in a sport as popular as RL in Australia. What an argument that is. 

3 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Three played 4x, two played 3x, one played 2x and one didn’t play. 

Now you fully understand that the more domestic players you have, the worse the results are, we can move on. 

So in 2013 domestic players played 20 times vs only 16 in 2017. Case closed. 

I note you also conveniently left Offerdahl out of the 2017 list

8 hours ago, Eddie said:

I’d rather see a team of mainly Greeks lose to France than a load of Ron Massey Cup players with Greek nans lose to France. 

I agree. If there aren’t domestic players it leaves an opening for groups like the now Islamabad based World Rugby League (WRL) to step in.

WRL may soon have enough countries to run their own World Cup soon. They’ve pushed it in the past and the Italian ambassador to Pakistan even mentioned it a few years ago.

2 minutes ago, Copa said:

I agree. If there aren’t domestic players it leaves an opening for groups like the now Islamabad based World Rugby League (WRL) to step in.

WRL may soon have enough countries to run their own World Cup soon. They’ve pushed it in the past and the Italian ambassador to Pakistan even mentioned it a few years ago.

No chance mate.  Those guys do not have a pot to p### in, let alone fund a world cup!

6 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

One result in hundreds and hundreds in a sport as popular as RL in Australia. What an argument that is. 

Fair point.

Ok, I will say this then.  If I was running the sport in one of those countries, I'd be far more concerned about the long-term growth of the game in that country, rather than "ruining" some random Englishman's afternoon, because he had the horrid experience of watching an uneven contest, in a match he didn't really even care about to begin with.

6 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

So in 2013 domestic players played 20 times vs only 16 in 2017. Case closed. 

I note you also conveniently left Offerdahl out of the 2017 list

USA got further in 2013 with fewer domestic players than in 2017. Case closed. 

Offerdahl played for London Broncos in 2017, so, y’know, he wouldn’t be classed as a domestic player as London is in England. 

2 minutes ago, langpark said:

No chance mate.  Those guys do not have a pot to p### in, let alone fund a world cup!

That’s what you said about Euro XIIIs ? 

But agreed, it seems implausible that would ever happen, and it would be an absolutely terrible World Cup if it did anyway. 

6 minutes ago, langpark said:

Well they’ve already played an international in Pakistan with 1000s in attendance, including media and government officials. They’ve also grown their membership. You never know what the future might bring.

Just now, scotchy1 said:

There doesnt need to be a middle ground, there needs to be both.

Greece need a pathway to the top level. That means heritage players.

Greece need a pathway to the top level. That means they need opportunities for domestic players.

We need opportunites for greece to play the best and we need opportunitiesn for them to offer opportunities for their domestic players

It seems to me they do have a decent pathway in place, if two of their players have earned French Elite 2 contracts and one other played in League One with Doncaster!  I believe that is a higher output than any other nation on the mainland Europe, excluding France of course.

I don't see how one-off matches can be considered a "pathway" though?  Perhaps my definition of the word differs from yours.

I would have though, getting players into Leagues of England and France is the best way to go about developing players.  Not only they are getting better quality matches, but instead of playing about 10 per season, they are suddenly playing 20+ in most cases.  For me, that is the perfect way to improve them and in turn, strengthen their own national team.

30 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

USA got further in 2013 with fewer domestic players than in 2017. Case closed. 

Offerdahl played for London Broncos in 2017, so, y’know, he wouldn’t be classed as a domestic player as London is in England. 

Keep spinning, even though your argument has more holes than a sieve. 

Thats not how domestic player quota works

17 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Keep spinning, even though your argument has more holes than a sieve. 

Thats not how domestic player quota works

USA got further in 2013 than in 2017. Fact. An increase by 57% in domestic players in that time. They were awful and these faux quotas are more damaging than good. 

10 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

USA got further in 2013 than in 2017. Fact. An increase by 57% in domestic players in that time. They were awful and these faux quotas are more damaging than good. 

Which played less game time............keep spinning ?

Nations should be able to choose what works best for them on the ground in their countries. If Greece feel it’s better for the game in Greece to pick a lot of home grown players, then they should do it. If it results in 90-0 results then so be it.

If Tonga feels the best thing for them is to use mostly, or even entirely, Australian or NZ based players then let them do it. A public holiday was called in Tonga to celebrate their success so they must be doing something right in relation to Tongan culture.

3 hours ago, Copa said:

Nations should be able to choose what works best for them on the ground in their countries. If Greece feel it’s better for the game in Greece to pick a lot of home grown players, then they should do it. If it results in 90-0 results then so be it.

If Tonga feels the best thing for them is to use mostly, or even entirely, Australian or NZ based players then let them do it. A public holiday was called in Tonga to celebrate their success so they must be doing something right in relation to Tongan culture.

My only concern is that if the results are going to be 90 nil, then they shouldn't be in the world cup. 

I know people like having these minow nations in the world cup that are doing great work domestically for the game, however, in my opinion having a team made up of amature players isn't what a world cup should be about.

34 minutes ago, AB90 said:

My only concern is that if the results are going to be 90 nil, then they shouldn't be in the world cup. 

I know people like having these minow nations in the world cup that are doing great work domestically for the game, however, in my opinion having a team made up of amature players isn't what a world cup should be about.

RU never bothered with that and still had decent crowds.  The Olympic Games still have Countries that are represented by 1 or 2 people.  Whoever they are,there should be space to play but there has to be some organisation behind it.  

On the OP.  From what I see, this is just a tournament for selected/made up teams and a few developing teams.  Nothing more.

16 hours ago, langpark said:

Also, just fir a bit of context in the "blowout scorelines debate. Let's not forget Roosters beat Broncos 59-0 just last week! I am sure nobody was concerned that NRL will lose fans over it. 

Hey! Are you still talking to me? 

Archived