Greece announces a domestic Quota

At least 8 amateur players from the Greek domestic competition is crazy. I understand their aim but 8 is far too many. 

If Greece were playing minnow Nations, like Jamaica and Wales, this would be fine. But they will be playing top Super League and NRL players that make up the England and Samoa teams. Greece would be battered anyway without reducing the quality of their squad further. Amateur players shouldn’t be at World Cups.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

At least 8 amateur players from the Greek domestic competition is crazy. I understand their aim but 8 is far too many. 

Did you read the article? It says 3 of their domestic players now play semi-pro abroad. So we are talking 5 amateurs in a 24-man squad. Not crazy at all. 

3 minutes ago, langpark said:

Did you read the article? It says 3 of their domestic players now play semi-pro abroad. So we are talking 5 amateurs in a 24-man squad. Not crazy at all. 

1 Greek domestic has recently played in League One and 2 have recently played in French Elite 2. These players are still basically amateur. It certainly is crazy to send amateur players out against England and Samoa.

7 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

1 Greek domestic has recently played in League One and 2 have recently played in French Elite 2. These players are still basically amateur. It certainly is crazy to send amateur players out against England and Samoa.

Which professional players would you have in their place?

36 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

RU never bothered with that and still had decent crowds.  The Olympic Games still have Countries that are represented by 1 or 2 people.  Whoever they are,there should be space to play but there has to be some organisation behind it.  

On the OP.  From what I see, this is just a tournament for selected/made up teams and a few developing teams.  Nothing more.

True. May be it's just a personal preference. There still has to be some consideration to the standard in order to up hold the integrity of the game and world cup.

I imagine, if at the next rugby league world cup they invited say 48 teams to participate with 12 pools of 4 teams, with 2/3's of the nations made up of amature players, you may have second thoughts when Australia are beating Denmark 200-nil.

Crickets a larger sport world wide than league and they only had 10 teams at the previous world cup. Cricketing rich nations like Zimbabwe didn't qaulify.

Point is I (and probably the general public) prefer quality or quantity. 

31 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

If Greece were playing minnow Nations, like Jamaica and Wales, this would be fine. But they will be playing top Super League and NRL players that make up the England and Samoa teams. Greece would be battered anyway without reducing the quality of their squad further. Amateur players shouldn’t be at World Cups.

I don't think its crazy. Looking at the detail there are really only 5 totally greek RL players. 3 other Greek born are playing in England and France. And in any case it still means only 1 out of a matchday 17 actually has to play. 

Greece know they're the whipping boys in that group. England should win every game, Greece should lose every game and the second spot will be hotly contested by France and Samoa in one of the most important ties of the group stages. I think in that scenario lets give as many bona fide greeks as possible the opportunity to play in a World Cup so that they can take their memories and memorabilia back to Greece and spread the good word. They have nothing to lose by doing so and plenty to gain rather than having some Ozzies

One thing we could perhaps in future adopt from RU is to give the "amateur nations" enough funding that for the 3 months prior to the World Cup so they can train as professionals in that time.

5 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

I don't think its crazy. Looking at the detail there are really only 5 totally greek RL players. 3 other Greek born are playing in England and France. And in any case it still means only 1 out of a matchday 17 actually has to play. 

Greece know they're the whipping boys in that group. England should win every game, Greece should lose every game and the second spot will be hotly contested by France and Samoa in one of the most important ties of the group stages. I think in that scenario lets give as many bona fide greeks as possible the opportunity to play in a World Cup so that they can take their memories and memorabilia back to Greece and spread the good word. They have nothing to lose by doing so and plenty to gain rather than having some Ozzies

One thing we could perhaps in future adopt from RU is to give the "amateur nations" enough funding that for the 3 months prior to the World Cup so they can train as professionals in that time.

You are been very generous to England, who lost to Tonga, PNG and New Zealand twice recently.

Samoa have a full squad of NRL players including some real superstars, Samoa will certainly be looking to win the group. France 3rd and Greece 4th is fairly certain.

3 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

You are been very generous to England, who lost to Tonga, PNG and New Zealand twice recently.

Samoa have a full squad of NRL players including some real superstars, Samoa will certainly be looking to win the group. France 3rd and Greece 4th is fairly certain.

Samoa drew with Scotland last WC in essentially what was their home ground.

Greece lost to Scotland 42-24 in the qualifiers. I don't think it is going to be the massacre that you seem to think it will be. 

2 minutes ago, langpark said:

Greece lost to Scotland 42-24 in the qualifiers. I don't think it is going to be the massacre that you seem to think it will be. 

Samoa also beat PNG last year, then PNG beat England. 

What decent players will Greece have? I couldn’t name a single one

34 minutes ago, langpark said:

I wouldn't underestimate Samoa. They will have a very good chance at beating England (imo).

In addition, like last world cup I wouldn't be surprised to see players from Aus and NZ swap allegiances. Josh Papali springs to mind.

7 hours ago, AB90 said:

My only concern is that if the results are going to be 90 nil, then they shouldn't be in the world cup. 

I know people like having these minow nations in the world cup that are doing great work domestically for the game, however, in my opinion having a team made up of amature players isn't what a world cup should be about.

They should be in the World Cup if they qualified. 

It’d feel horrible for the domestic players that put in the hard work and sacrifice to qualify if they were dumped for an entirely new team of people from the other side of the world.

1 hour ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Samoa also beat PNG last year, then PNG beat England. 

What decent players will Greece have? I couldn’t name a single one

Billy Magoulias

Can’t see France competing with Samoa, they’re going to have some talent available to them

1 hour ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

They did have superstars in 2014. Their results since then have been decidedly below par as have their player's individual performances for clubs. England winning that group with 3 wins (admittedly the hardest against Samoa) is not a surprise.

8 hours ago, DoubleD said:

Billy Magoulias

Can’t see France competing with Samoa, they’re going to have some talent available to them

Billy Magoulias

There’s a few exciting youngsters coming through but yeah they’re nowhere near the level of England, Samoa, France.

See... Chaise Robinson, Peter Manouzelous, Nick Mougios, 

6 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

1st England, 2nd Samoa, 3rd France, 4th Greece is the most likely outcome. My point was there is more chance of Samoa beating England, than of France beating Samoa.

If there is an upset in the group, it’s probably going to be that Samoa win it, rather than that France qualify.

Great, I'm not sure what that has to do with Greece's selection policy?

Whipping boys is probably accurate. But i really cannot see them being any less competitive than Jamaica, Italy or Lebanon.

Lebanon had Farah, Mannah and Moses at last WC, probably won't have them in '21. Same goes for Italy with: Tedesco, Paul Vaughan and Mark Minichello.

22 minutes ago, langpark said:

Whipping boys is probably accurate. But i really cannot see them being any less competitive than Jamaica, Italy or Lebanon.

Lebanon had Farah, Mannah and Moses at last WC, probably won't have them in '21. Same goes for Italy with: Tedesco, Paul Vaughan and Mark Minichello.

Italy and Lebanon will still have some decent nrl talent. Having 8 or so nrl (or SL) players in your matchday 17 regardless of how good they will enable you to be hopefully 'competitive'. All be it, peoples definition of competitive differs from person to person.

34 minutes ago, AB90 said:

Italy and Lebanon will still have some decent nrl talent. Having 8 or so nrl (or SL) players in your matchday 17 regardless of how good they will enable you to be hopefully 'competitive'. All be it, peoples definition of competitive differs from person to person.

I think you are right, but who? I am seriously struggling to name some.

Josh Mansour last played for Aus at last WC, I suppose he will switch to Lebanon if Aus don't pick him.

2 hours ago, langpark said:

Josh Mansour last played for Aus at last WC, I suppose he will switch to Lebanon if Aus don't pick him.

Josh Mansor played for Lebanon last WC so hopefully he goes again.

Others - Alex Twal (starting prop for tigers), Adam Doueihi (starting full back/center for tigers), Michael Lichia (hooker), James Roumanos (Bulldogs- squad player), Abbas Miski (Manly - squad player), Kayne Kalache - (Bulldogs squad player), Jalal Bazzaz (Dragons squad player).

There will be other 'squad' players scattered throughout the league that I have missed.

3 hours ago, AB90 said:

Josh Mansor played for Lebanon last WC so hopefully he goes again.

Others - Alex Twal (starting prop for tigers), Adam Doueihi (starting full back/center for tigers), Michael Lichia (hooker), James Roumanos (Bulldogs- squad player), Abbas Miski (Manly - squad player), Kayne Kalache - (Bulldogs squad player), Jalal Bazzaz (Dragons squad player).

There will be other 'squad' players scattered throughout the league that I have missed.

Thanks for the info. Ok so they have a few.

Mansour definitely played for Aus though at WC 2017, see for yourself: 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josh_Mansour

8 hours ago, langpark said:

https://hecanplayfor.weebly.com/lebanon-2020.html

Lebanon will struggle for depth. At full strength they’ll go well. But if they get 5/6 withdrawals through Australia call ups or injury - they begin to scrape the barrel

Archived