Greece announces a domestic Quota

11 hours ago, welshmagpie said:

https://hecanplayfor.weebly.com/lebanon-2020.html

Lebanon will struggle for depth. At full strength they’ll go well. But if they get 5/6 withdrawals through Australia call ups or injury - they begin to scrape the barrel

I don’t know but I’d guess they will have players to choose from at NSW Cup level to replace these. I think Lebanon will qualify in 2nd place but got to say I think NZ have the easiest group to win. 

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, langpark said:

I hate to be picky, but I always thought the word "quota" meant "limit".  So this thread should really be called "heritage player quota", right?

Good point. To spare the game the embarrassment of having made up national teams full of heritage players, the number of heritage players allowed should be capped a less than half of a team's roster for any tournament or other competition.

57 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

Good point. To spare the game the embarrassment of having made up national teams full of heritage players, the number of heritage players allowed should be capped a less than half of a team's roster for any tournament or other competition.

Ooh. I don't think that will go down well. As you see, several here are criticising Greece for going for a 1/3 split.

5 minutes ago, langpark said:

Ooh. I don't think that will go down well. As you see, several here are criticising Greece for going for a 1/3 split.

That's only because many of the game's followers don't see how having made up national teams with no players who ever lived in the country which they're representing undermine its credibility and the legitimacy of its Internationals.

On 23/06/2020 at 21:22, Hela Wigmen said:

2017 - Taylor Alley, CJ Cortolano, Gabriel Farley, Kristian Freed, Martwain Johnson, Andrew Kneisly, Fotukava Malu, Nick Newlin, Josh Rice, David Ulch, Matt Walsh. 

2013 - Kristian Freed, Taylor Welch, Gabriel Farley, Lelauloto Tagaloa, Craig Priestley, Mark Offerdahl, Les Soloai. 

So, we’re now clear that 2017 saw an increase of domestic Americans by 57% and now that just two of the players that played in the 2013 RLWC (that made the Quarter Finals) competed again four years later. 

The use of more domestic Americans than 2013 ended in a terrible World Cup campaign and has led to them failing to qualify for the 2021 competition. 

A laughing stock is a tournament in which we’re putting complete amateurs against NRL winners and State of Origin competitors. This isn’t an Emerging Nations competition, nor is it to be used as a Development comp for blokes who are amateur and who wouldn’t get a game at NCL level. It’s dangerous, it’s irresponsible, it’s pointless and it’s not helping the sport. 

As per your comments in the last paragraph do you then consider the challenge cup to be a laughing stock as it fits this description ???

1 hour ago, yipyee said:

As per your comments in the last paragraph do you then consider the challenge cup to be a laughing stock as it fits this description ???

Amateur teams rarely play full time professional sides under its current format and are not of the same ranking, amateur teams start in R1, Super League teams come in far later. It’s not a comparison at all. 

13 hours ago, Big Picture said:

That's only because many of the game's followers don't see how having made up national teams with no players who ever lived in the country which they're representing undermine its credibility and the legitimacy of its Internationals.

Yes and no. Places like Tonga and Samoa have significant expat communities that many in the motherland still consider very Tongan or Samoan. Tonga especially gives significant support to their rugby league team and it drives growth of the sport in Tonga.

Other countries may view identity and nationalism differently and they should use more domestic players because it’s what connects the team to the community in the motherland.

Whatever they choose, it should respect the players that helped a team qualify and it should also have a connection to the community in the motherland. Greece will use domestic players because that’s what works for them and Tonga uses many expats because that also works for them.

Australian based coaches with fever dreams of glory should really try to keep connection to the motherland as a guide when it comes to team selection and not just go for glory with a team entirely made up of NSW and QLD lower division athletes.

4 minutes ago, Copa said:

Greece will use domestic players because that’s what works for them and Tonga uses many expats because that also works for them.

Also, Greece, Italy etc. have a ticking clock and a need to prepare for the future. Most of their migration to Aus was post-WWII. Meaning heritage stocks will dry up in the next 10-20 years. Pacific island migration towards Aus and NZ will likely never stop, so may never be an issue for those countries.

On 27/06/2020 at 07:35, Hela Wigmen said:

Amateur teams rarely play full time professional sides under its current format and are not of the same ranking, amateur teams start in R1, Super League teams come in far later. It’s not a comparison at all. 

But it is... Greece needed to came through several knockout qualifying games of increasing difficulty.

Newly formed Crusaders with several amatuer players played Wigan second string in a blow out 98-0 (charnley missed the last conversion) is just one example but no one says that the challenge cup should be a super league only comp. 

12 minutes ago, yipyee said:

But it is... Greece needed to came through several knockout qualifying games of increasing difficulty.

Newly formed Crusaders with several amatuer players played Wigan second string in a blow out 98-0 (charnley missed the last conversion) is just one example but no one says that the challenge cup should be a super league only comp. 

Greece played three lots of amateurs in Malta, Ukraine and Serbia and had one game against Scotland. 

You’re comparing this to an event that not only happened eight years ago when the format of the competition was completely different and you’re now using a part-time team against a Super League team to back up your argument, when you originally mentioned amateur clubs in the Challenge Cup. 

On 28/06/2020 at 08:12, Hela Wigmen said:

Greece played three lots of amateurs in Malta, Ukraine and Serbia and had one game against Scotland. 

You’re comparing this to an event that not only happened eight years ago when the format of the competition was completely different and you’re now using a part-time team against a Super League team to back up your argument, when you originally mentioned amateur clubs in the Challenge Cup. 

There isn't much between part time and amateur,

There s a huge gulf between pro and everyone else.

Some part time teams have pro or ex pro players who work in the back office as their main job.

Crusaders were made up of amateur players who got paid a match fee.

Also I was referring to the competition format not just Greece

13 minutes ago, yipyee said:

There isn't much between part time and amateur,

There s a huge gulf between pro and everyone else.

Some part time teams have pro or ex pro players who work in the back office as their main job.

Crusaders were made up of amateur players who got paid a match fee.

Also I was referring to the competition format not just Greece

There’s a gulf between amateur and part-time, that’s why part-time teams beat amateur teams quite regularly in the Challenge Cup.

Yes, that’s my point, there’s a huge gulf between pros and everyone else, more so between pros (let’s say England) and amateurs (the domestic amateurs Greece are bringing to the World Cup). Greece taking complete amateurs is not good for the competition as a whole.  

So, Crusaders were part-time then? Great, thanks for establishing that. 

I’ve never watched an international game and thought, I wish more players came from their domestic competition.

I have watched international games and thought this game is so one sided, it’s a shame the game isn’t more competitive. And I really like to watch lesser nations at World Cups.

Greece fielding a weaker than necessary match day 17 achieves nothing for me, it just means I’m less likely to go to games Greece are in as they will be less competitive.

5 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

I’ve never watched an international game and thought, I wish more players came from their domestic competition.

I have watched international games and thought this game is so one sided, it’s a shame the game isn’t more competitive. And I really like to watch lesser nations at World Cups.

Greece fielding a weaker than necessary match day 17 achieves nothing for me, it just means I’m less likely to go to games Greece are in as they will be less competitive.

Indeed, but clearly they are not trying to achieve something for you, but for the long-term development of RL in Greece.

Archived