1.Leeds 187.3 K

2.Broncos 139.7K

3.Storm 128.3K

4.Wigan 117 K

5. Rabbitohs 106K

6.St. Helens 104.1 K

7.NZ Warriors 100.6 K

3 Superleague and 4 NRL.

The big English Heartland clubs have more followers than any of the Sydneysider NSW Big clubs with only  South Sydney breaking that rule..

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, noobiefana said:

I'm not in love with social media but it's an interesting insight

Clubs with 100,000 followers on their official twitter handle

1.Leeds 187.3 K

2.Broncos 139.7K

3.Storm 128.3K

4.Wigan 117 K

5. Rabbitohs 106K

6.St. Helens 104.1 K

7.NZ Warriors 100.6 K

3 Superleague and 4 NRL.

The big English Heartland clubs have more followers than any of the Sydneysider NSW Big clubs with only  South Sydney breaking that rule..

Now do Instagram. Would appear they have much higher followings in the NRL on that platform when compared with SL clubs. 

Edit: Had a quick glance and NO Super League club has over 100k on Instagram - Leeds are top with 68k 

NRL on the other hand has 11 over 100k!

Broncos - 260k 

Warriors - 211k

Souths - 206k

Cowboys - 181k

Roosters - 177k 

Eels - 145k

Bulldogs - 129k

Dragons - 108k

Raiders - 107k

Wests - 105k

Panthers - 101k

Added to that the NRL itself has near on a million compared with RFL and SL combined not even hitting 100k. I think the NRL still trumps the SL when it comes to exposure via social media overall. 

2 hours ago, noobiefana said:

Very dramatic difference between twitter and instagram.truly dramatic. 

Age profile of fanbases perhaps?

I have no explanation.

Or the popularity of the type of social media varies from country to country.

1 hour ago, noobiefana said:

The SL Clubs on Twitter ( For Information )

Leeds 187.3K

Wigan 117K

Saints 104.1K

Warrington 90.1K

Hull 72.1K

HKR 55.4K

Castleford 52.3K

Wakefield 41.2K

Salford 40.9K

Huddersfield 40.2K

Toronto 36.2K

Catalans 31.9K

As you’d expect, big 3 out on top. Then you’ve got Warrington and the Hull clubs (FC and KR have a combined total of 127.5) then the ‘smaller clubs’ down at the bottom who average 40-41K bar Cas I suppose who do well with 50K. 

Catalans and Toronto are interesting. Most clubs joined Twitter between 2008-2010 where as Cats have been a bit late joining in 2012. I wonder if that has made a difference 

Plus Toronto have only been around for a few years and are still building their brand. 

I'm not sure of the Instagram usage in the UK and Australia but I think the UK is the 3rd largest twitter market after the US and Japan. With Instagram I suspect its a younger demographic. Pretty much everyone in my age group 40+ uses either FB or twitter or both. I don't know many people in my age group who use Instagram though most younger people I know it is their preferred social media platform. 

1 hour ago, Mr Plow said:

As you’d expect, big 3 out on top. Then you’ve got Warrington and the Hull clubs (FC and KR have a combined total of 127.5) then the ‘smaller clubs’ down at the bottom who average 40-41K bar Cas I suppose who do well with 50K. 

Catalans and Toronto are interesting. Most clubs joined Twitter between 2008-2010 where as Cats have been a bit late joining in 2012. I wonder if that has made a difference 

Plus Toronto have only been around for a few years and are still building their brand. 

I don’t think Twitter is very popular in France

Instagram numbers

Leeds 67.6K

Wigan 50.2K

Warrington 37.2K

Saints 35.2K

Hull FC 32.9K

Catalans32.3K

Castleford 22.7K

HKR 21.2K

Wakefield 12.2K

Huddersfield 11.8K

Salford10.7K

No figure for Toronto

Some truly poor numbers there it has to be said. Catalans doing better than on Twitter. Warrington pipping Saints for third.

Clubs should be pushing everywhere they can, twitter, insta, tik tok, youtube, maybe even LinkedIn! 

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

4 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Clubs should be pushing everywhere they can, twitter, insta, tik tok, youtube, maybe even LinkedIn! 

Totally correct. I hate negativity but some of those Insta numbers are shocking....barely over 10K for several SL clubs. 

Perhaps the clubs could combine to employ a media manager to get those numbers up across the board.

Just now, noobiefana said:

Totally correct. I hate negativity but some of those Insta numbers are shocking....barely over 10K for several SL clubs. 

Perhaps the clubs could combine to employ a media manager to get those numbers up across the board.

And you can use a lot of the same content on all of them, just chop it up differently, or focus on other areas.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

23 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

And you can use a lot of the same content on all of them, just chop it up differently, or focus on other areas.  

Yes. All that would be needed is a bit of creative thinking and mutual support. A decent young media manager could easily be got for 50 grand a year. 4 grand per club !!!

2 hours ago, noobiefana said:

Instagram numbers

Leeds 67.6K

Wigan 50.2K

Warrington 37.2K

Saints 35.2K

Hull FC 32.9K

Catalans32.3K

Castleford 22.7K

HKR 21.2K

Wakefield 12.2K

Huddersfield 11.8K

Salford10.7K

No figure for Toronto

Some truly poor numbers there it has to be said. Catalans doing better than on Twitter. Warrington pipping Saints for third.

Toronto Instagram......45,198.....slots them into 3rd. place.

Take one Super League club for example Salford,and I note they have over 10000 followers on Twitter.

OK where are let’s just say 40% of those followers on their match day?Why aren’t they paying their £20 or whatever the admission fee is?Where are they when the club really needs them?

31 minutes ago, Robthegasman said:

Take one Super League club for example Salford,and I note they have over 10000 followers on Twitter.

OK where are let’s just say 40% of those followers on their match day?Why aren’t they paying their £20 or whatever the admission fee is?Where are they when the club really needs them?

Salford's account follows me lol

Twitter just shows your reach and who's interested in keeping up to date with you, naturally there will be overlap with fans of other clubs, journalists, players, other clubs etc as well as ex pat and international fans for example. To take you're 40% mark to Leeds would mean we'd be expecting roughly 75k every week! 

Twitter followers/Facebook likes do not equal fans, but it gives a good indication towards the trends in that sphere.

44 minutes ago, Robthegasman said:

You can follow a twitter account from anywhere - it's no real indication of home attendances.

Besides they seemed to be there last season ?

15 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Salford's account follows me lol

Twitter just shows your reach and who's interested in keeping up to date with you, naturally there will be overlap with fans of other clubs, journalists, players, other clubs etc as well as ex pat and international fans for example. To take you're 40% mark to Leeds would mean we'd be expecting roughly 75k every week! 

Twitter followers/Facebook likes do not equal fans, but it gives a good indication towards the trends in that sphere.

I am not a Salford fan myself,I was just taking them as an example.

But to me I am sure that they would love to see those,even say 40%,maybe even 30%,20% even  who are interested in them turn up at the ticket office and buy a matchday ticket and watch them live or in the flesh.
I am sure it would give their finances a huge boost 

2 minutes ago, Robthegasman said:

But to me I am sure that they would love to see those,even say 40%,maybe even 30%,20% even  who are interested in them turn up at the ticket office and buy a matchday ticket and watch them live or in the flesh.

Of course they would but in reality its more like 5 to at best 10% as is the nature of social media.

Following a sports club doesn't automatically equate to being a supporter of that team. I'm interested in them because they're in the same league as my team for example.

Its very much a big net little return sort of business model when looking at how it translates to fans on the terraces and that is true for all sports clubs. 

There are more knowledgeable people than me on this forum on this issue but we as a game are fairly poor at monetising that casual interest follower group. They may not want to or be able to buy a season or match ticket, but they may want good merchandise etc.

34 minutes ago, Robthegasman said:

Tommy has already responded, but I would just add that a fair amount of those followers probably don't live anywhere near Salford.............social media is great for fans to keep in touch with their club when they're removed from it and live in different parts of the country or different countries altogether

23 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Of course they would but in reality its more like 5 to at best 10% as is the nature of social media.

Following a sports club doesn't automatically equate to being a supporter of that team. I'm interested in them because they're in the same league as my team for example.

Its very much a big net little return sort of business model when looking at how it translates to fans on the terraces and that is true for all sports clubs. 

There are more knowledgeable people than me on this forum on this issue but we as a game are fairly poor at monetising that casual interest follower group. They may not want to or be able to buy a season or match ticket, but they may want good merchandise etc.

Fair valid point about the merchandise.

Archived