Hostilities

Honest question: does any real vicious hostilities exist in RL between sets of supporters? I mean real scary stuff, like in football ie. Galatasary vs Besiktas or River Plate and Boca Juniors. 

Has anyone here been at a RL game and thought , Jeez this is getting scary, or doesn't it happen in the game at all. Thinking possibly in Sydney. 

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

Honest question: does any real vicious hostilities exist in RL between sets of supporters? I mean real scary stuff, like in football ie. Galatasary vs Besiktas or River Plate and Boca Juniors. 

Has anyone here been at a RL game and thought , Jeez this is getting scary, or doesn't it happen in the game at all.

There's no designated 'ultras' or hooligans like you get in football.

That said, it very much can happen on a given day and because RL and rugby in general isn't policed in the same way football is, when it does kick off there's not much to stop it - especially outside the ground. 

Certainly back in the days I played in the Pennine Leagues I can safely say some grounds you went to were more intimidating than anything i've witnessed in football at the same level. 

I took some friends who had little knowledge of RL to the CC final a few years back. We was in the Green Man pub's huge beer garden and they couldn't believe both sets of fans were allowed to mingle together and the good nature of it all....then somebody threw a plastic beer cup into a group of opposing fans. What followed was some of the worst mass brawling i've ever seen with only a handful of stewards trying to get order back - must have been 5 minutes before any police enter the area and even then not enough to get it under control straight away. 

So yeah overall RL fans are better behaved is my view, but any moral high ground we used to think we had over football is long gone IMO. 

Warrington away as a Saints fan is pretty grim. All the idiots from both sides seem to come out for that. 

Cars get scratched (though how linked to the RL that is, I’m not sure), there’s a lot of gesticulating and vitriol, it’s boiled over a couple of times and people in the Saints end have been showered in pee from idiots peeing in pint pots and launching them from the back of the away end. 

Back in the late 70s and early 80 s there used to be plenty of ' hostilities ' , I attended the Wigan/Wire Challenge Cup quarter final a Central Park in 75 , the far stand was split down the middle with police and stewards trying to keep the fans apart , we were counting them in as they brought them round to our end for treatment , Wire won the battle of central park that day , but got battered on their way back to the train station I was told at school on Monday 

Similarily when Wigan visited Leigh , there used to be running battles going on all the way up westleigh lane afterwards , when Either Hull came all hell used to break out in the bar at half time , Widnes as well 

There was a book published in 2005 which is probably the only printed source which goes into any detail. The problem is it's a pretty poor read which tries to copy the football hooligan books which were popular at the time. It does have some stories about the Wigan / Wire rivalry, and trouble at the Hull derby, but a lot of it just takes the form of "we took their end, then they took our end, then we clashed outside the ground after the match".

You can usually pick it up on Ebay for around a tenner.

51XW2FDTV8L._SX336_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

18 hours ago, HawkMan said:

Has anyone here been at a RL game and thought , Jeez this is getting scary, or doesn't it happen in the game at all. Thinking possibly in Sydney. 

In Sydney most fans mingle in the stadium. There’s some heckling but nothing too serious. People generally just want to have fun.

The most high profile incidents I can remember is Hull FC fans invading the pitch at Huddersfield (IIRC) in a cup-semi and tearing down the posts around 2000-2002 and when Widnes fans invaded at Leigh (IIRC) when they lost to Cas in the semi of the cup but that seemed to be more of an arm waving competition than much violence, the Cas mascot aside. 

15 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

The most high profile incidents I can remember is Hull FC fans invading the pitch at Huddersfield (IIRC) in a cup-semi and tearing down the posts around 2000-2002 and when Widnes fans invaded at Leigh (IIRC) when they lost to Cas in the semi of the cup but that seemed to be more of an arm waving competition than much violence, the Cas mascot aside. 

Problem with that Widnes v Cas game as well was the ground was just so packed, people were spilling out of the stands and onto the pitch all the way through the match not just at the end so I guess when at the end a small group of idiots wanted to get onto the pitch everyone else was just dragged with them. 

I was there and it was not pretty. Used to be plenty of scuffles on Holderness Road on the way and from the old Craven Park on derby also.

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

5 hours ago, Click said:

How about between Catalans and Warrington fans? ?

I, in my Dracs' replica top, and my mate, who had borrowed my Dracs' fans polo shirt, drank perfectly amicably with Wire fans in a pub near Wembley before the 2018 cup final.  I saw no trouble after the game either, as we made our way back towards the underground station.

I think and hope the silliness in Perpignan more recently was and remains a one-off.

If there is any trouble it’s usually a few isolated incidents. Probably worst I’ve seen it was at the 2015 Grand Final. Scrap in the pub near to OT before the game, someone scrapping in the stands in the 2nd half and a streaker.

IMO and not trying to drag any teams name though the mud but from what I’ve seen and heard Cas are probably the worst 

But you could write a book about all these isolated incidents. The majority of RL fans aren’t hooligans

Whilst the majority of RL fans are well behaved to say there is not a problem is sweeping it under the carpet, 2 seasons ago (Maybe 3 I cannot remember which) I attended a VIP event at the SLGF at Manchester United the tickets I had were behind the Warrington end, during the course of the match myself and my friend (Ex England cricket player attending his FIRST ever RL match) witnessed

* Non stop swearing (Mainly from drunken women)

* 7/8 punch ups (Mainly between Warrington fans including women)

* Drunken fan being sick 

His comments to me were the players and the sport was BRILLIANT however the behaviour of some of the fans shocked him.

I have been going to London matches for years and have taken many friends there and on several occasions the drunken behaviour and swearing from away fans has been embarrassing.

21 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

* Non stop swearing (Mainly from drunken women)

* 7/8 punch ups (Mainly between Warrington fans including women)

* Drunken fan being sick 

I was stood next to a woman who punched a man in the face at Fev when Leeds played Leigh (I think) in the cup a couple of years ago

29 minutes ago, Mr Plow said:

I was stood next to a woman who punched a man in the face at Fev when Leeds played Leigh (I think) in the cup a couple of years ago

Yes , I remember that , the man ( idiot more like ) had decided it was a good idea to come right in front of a stand packed with Leigh fans and goad and shout obscenities at us , one of our female fans ( the blokes were just laughing at him ) decide she'd had enough and belted him , the stewards then took him away before she really knocked the ###### out of him 

I'll ask the wife who it was who belted him she'll remember ?

Just asked her , she said it wasn't the cup game against Leeds but the play off game at Fev , and a couple of Fev lads ( very drunk ) got giddy and thought they'd take on a thousand Leythers , so one of our female fans bettered him ?

3 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

The vast majority of RL fans are brilliant however as I said there is a problem with behaviour at some matches which needs addressing.

2/3 clubs are responsible for 90% of bad behaviour I have seen over the years ,other problem is the kick off time for the SLGF every year 6PM gives fans 6 hours of drinking before the  match which attracts many 1 game a season fans (Mainly footy ones sadly)

No , , they aren't , unless it's Leeds 

2 minutes ago, 17 stone giant said:

So, Leeds, Warrington and who else?

Some Wakey fans did not cover the club in glory when playing in Ealing last season. They broke seats and abused stewards. They then behaved like morons around Ealing Broadway, a few local businesses tweeted about how bad they behaved

A minority I am sure as I've met many great Wakey fans over the years

Just now, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Some Wakey fans did not cover the club in glory when playing in Ealing last season. They broke seats and abused stewards. They then behaved like morons around Ealing Broadway, a few local businesses tweeted about how bad they behaved

A minority I am sure as I've met many great Wakey fans over the years

We ALL have them unfortunately ?

I was on holiday in Portugal as a younger fellah and returned to the hotel around 3am alone (unfortunately ?).... I was wearing a Broncos top.... then around a dozen Leeds shirted blokes pulled up in a taxi too.... One of them points at me "he's a fookin Lunden fan"... Braced myself for a few swings before running as fast as I could.... They turned out to be very friendly and we all had a drunken chat about RL expansion! 

Relieved to say the least.... Friendly folk these northerners on the whole

Archived