Hostilities

1 minute ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I was on holiday in Portugal as a younger fellah and returned to the hotel around 3am alone (unfortunately ?).... I was wearing a Broncos top.... then around a dozen Leeds shirted blokes pulled up in a taxi too.... One of them points at me "he's a fookin Lunden fan"... Braced myself for a few swings before running as fast as I could.... They turned out to be very friendly and we all had a drunken chat about RL expansion! 

Relieved to say the least.... Friendly folk these northerners on the whole

They were probably in shock ?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unfortunately every club has an element of idiots following them, although, the vast majority of people I've ever come across at rugby have been decent law abiding folk I have encountered trouble first hand.

The first time was an away game at Doncaster, the old Tattersfield ground about 1991, we also had problems at Featherstone in the mid 90s and at both Hull clubs, some cars and coaches were bricked leaving the boulevard in 1997.

In the past I've also encountered trouble with Leeds, Warrington and seen Wigan fans misbehaving, but the one ground that seems to be highest for Muppets is Wakefield, they really do have a nasty element, who have a savage dislike of Huddersfield and want to make their feelings clear when walking past the Giants fans on the west terracing, on quite a few occasions it's led to scuffles as emotions ran high on both sides.

I've never seen anything remotely bad or organised, but, despite usually enjoying my visits there, there's a really horrible nasty group at Warrington who try and start with away fans, luckily, most wire and Giants fans get on pretty well so nothing has ever come of it, but it could only be a matter of time, and it does spoil it for a lot of people who like going on the train to Warrington.

I wonder why this thread was started becuse for those who have long memories when "terrace culture" books started to appear around the turn of the century both the Rugby League press and to their credit the messageboards of the time ignored this and deprived of the oxygen orf publicity it went away.

All Rugby League clubs have a ned element they are frowned on by authorities and the vast majority of fans , as is evidenced by the outrage shown on this board when an incident does occur, which also shows how comparatively rare this is.

There is no place for hooliganism or the glorification of it in this sport

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

1 hour ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

The vast majority of RL fans are brilliant however as I said there is a problem with behaviour at some matches which needs addressing.

2/3 clubs are responsible for 90% of bad behaviour I have seen over the years ,other problem is the kick off time for the SLGF every year 6PM gives fans 6 hours of drinking before the  match which attracts many 1 game a season fans (Mainly footy ones sadly)

You are correct in that they are one game a season types - they’re also ‘leave their own backwater bubble’ once a year a types and nothing to do with football fans. I find that being a regular home and away supporter for both football and RL leaves me much better conditioned for boozing and far less likely to be involved in any bother.

1 minute ago, Leyther_Matt said:

You are correct in that they are one game a season types - they’re also ‘leave their own backwater bubble’ once a year a types and nothing to do with football fans. I find that being a regular home and away supporter for both football and RL leaves me much better conditioned for boozing and far less likely to be involved in any bother.

Piiiiiiiizzzzzzzz head , as Kryten would say ?

When leaving Wembley one year accompanied by two Saints fans, one in a Saints shirt, a Warrington fan stopped celebrating the first trophy in his lifetime that he could remember to lean over the exits by the stairs to shower us in abuse. Imagine doing that when you’ve won something, thought it was mad, myself. 

6 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

When leaving Wembley one year accompanied by two Saints fans, one in a Saints shirt, a Warrington fan stopped celebrating the first trophy in his lifetime that he could remember to lean over the exits by the stairs to shower us in abuse. Imagine doing that when you’ve won something, thought it was mad, myself. 

Everybody has nutters , Wire , Wigan , even Leigh , also black , white Yellow and green , Christian ,Sihk, Muslim and druid 

You just bumped into one that day 

22 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Problem with that Widnes v Cas game as well was the ground was just so packed, people were spilling out of the stands and onto the pitch all the way through the match not just at the end so I guess when at the end a small group of idiots wanted to get onto the pitch everyone else was just dragged with them. 

????

From what I remember, the Leigh ground wasn’t filled to capacity that day. Standing in the Cas terrace (which had room to move - I’ve been at busier non league football matches!) I could see quite a few spare seats in the Widnes end behind the sticks which is where most of their fans came on from. At best, come full time that stand was half full because the game was over after about 50 minutes. So I’m not sure how you can be ‘dragged on the pitch’ from a half full seated stand. 

Anyway back on topic I’ve seen glass bottles been thrown by both sets of fans at one match (Wakefield vs Cas at Belle Vue). That’s also the only ground where I’ve heard/witnessed racism, when a bunch of knuckleheads were making monkey chants at Cas winger Wayne Pryce.

I’ve been shoulder barged by a Warrington fan for no reason other than standing in the Castleford home end watching the match. Wouldn’t call it major trouble but Wire don’t half have their fair share of idiots. 

Special mention to the 20 or so Workington fans at Derwent Park who for some reason spent most of the match vs York in 2018 with their backs to the pitch making gestures at York fans. Never understood why you’d pay to go to a match then do that, especially as it’s not like York fans are Galatasart fans, we are quite a relaxed bunch!

10 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Yes , I remember that , the man ( idiot more like ) had decided it was a good idea to come right in front of a stand packed with Leigh fans and goad and shout obscenities at us , one of our female fans ( the blokes were just laughing at him ) decide she'd had enough and belted him , the stewards then took him away before she really knocked the ###### out of him 

I'll ask the wife who it was who belted him she'll remember ?

Just asked her , she said it wasn't the cup game against Leeds but the play off game at Fev , and a couple of Fev lads ( very drunk ) got giddy and thought they'd take on a thousand Leythers , so one of our female fans bettered him ?

Think we were at that game, though we didn't see any trouble, but we were in the area and decided to go. We had Whitehaven shirts on and headed into the Leigh end, several people thought they were Featherstone shirts and tried to direct us to the away end - this was done in a friendly and helpful way. When we explained they were Whitehaven shirts we were made more than welcome. This kind of thing has happened at several other grounds too

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

1 hour ago, AB Knight said:

????

From what I remember, the Leigh ground wasn’t filled to capacity that day. Standing in the Cas terrace (which had room to move - I’ve been at busier non league football matches!) I could see quite a few spare seats in the Widnes end behind the sticks which is where most of their fans came on from. At best, come full time that stand was half full because the game was over after about 50 minutes. So I’m not sure how you can be ‘dragged on the pitch’ from a half full seated stand. 

That game holds the attendance record for Leigh, 12,005, looked absolutely rammed on TV. But I wasn't there so you'll be the better judge of what happened, my interpretation is just how I remember it from watching on TV. 

IMO and not trying to drag any teams name though the mud but from what I’ve seen and heard Cas are probably the worst.

Tbf I've heard of many incidents in the pub/Cas Forum/etc but never seen owt. I was at the match when fans abused Gareth Thomas and missed it.

The most memorable incident was back in the late 80's-early 90's ish when two men in their late 60's were jostling each other. They didn't want to escalate to full fisticuffs (perhaps it was too cold to take their hans from their pockets) so instead they basically rubbed up against each other whilst hopping- pogoing up and down in what the other might hopefully perceive as threatening.

it was both funny and revolting the same time. People stood and looked not sure what to do.

No bottles and bricks at Cas,  we cant afford stuff like that.

TESTICULI AD  BREXITAM.

I must be lucky because I never have seen any bother at RL games. I know it has happened and RL is not whiter than white in this matter of game related violence but overall I think it’s a fairly small issue. 

16 hours ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

I, in my Dracs' replica top, and my mate, who had borrowed my Dracs' fans polo shirt, drank perfectly amicably with Wire fans in a pub near Wembley before the 2018 cup final.  I saw no trouble after the game either, as we made our way back towards the underground station.

I think and hope the silliness in Perpignan more recently was and remains a one-off.

One or two players actions helped it along as well.

Generally I've found the Wire yobbish element go be distasteful.  But there is a short fuse group in all sets of supporters.

Tell a lie, there was some sort of scuffle once at headingley during a Leeds-Bradford game. But that was 2 Bradford fans having an argument over a woman or something.

There was fairly serious trouble at a Widnes/Warrington premiership semi-final in the late eighties, with a few hundred speccies from both teams on the pitch, which made the national newspapers. 

4 hours ago, AB Knight said:

????

Anyway back on topic I’ve seen glass bottles been thrown by both sets of fans at one match (Wakefield vs Cas at Belle Vue). That’s also the only ground where I’ve heard/witnessed racism, when a bunch of knuckleheads were making monkey chants at Cas winger Wayne Pryce.

I’ve been shoulder barged by a Warrington fan for no reason other than standing in the Castleford home end watching the match. Wouldn’t call it major trouble but Wire don’t half have their fair share of idiots. 

Special mention to the 20 or so Workington fans at Derwent Park who for some reason spent most of the match vs York in 2018 with their backs to the pitch making gestures at York fans. Never understood why you’d pay to go to a match then do that, especially as it’s not like York fans are Galatasart fans, we are quite a relaxed bunch!

I remember York "fans" causing trouble at Huddersfield in the cup quarter final in 2004, this was in the days when fans all mingled together in one stand, York brought a fair few numpties who had a few slurps and it got really nasty in the stand that day.

I'm not saying York fans are a bad bunch, or even that they were regular supporters, but that day they had some real nasty buggers following them.

The only time I ever felt genuinely scared at Rugby League game was going to the old Boulevard ground to see Hull vs Bradford Northern in the mid-to-late 70s.

Those Hull people packed into the Threepenny stand were a scary lot ?

Apart from the 2000 Challenge Cup semi incident, Hull-Leeds games have been the scene of probably most of the unsavoury scenes I've witnessed, be it actual fighting (behind the posts at the Boulevard) to bricking of coaches and then the ongoing, moderately amusing thanks to the wall of stewards/distance, encounters with chav corner at the KC.

In the early '90s Hull and Featherstone were the two places we wouldn't show team colours at. The Fev-Leeds game at Post Office Road in November '94 was as close to boiling over as I can remember -  the verbals were flying on the terraces although I'm not sure if it kicked off or not (it certainly did on the field).

Away from that though, Grand Finals always have an atmosphere of menace although I've not really ever seen anything up close.

There was something quite bad kicking off involving the police and Saints fans at a Bradford vs Saints game at Valley Parade in around 2001ish, when that rivalry was at its peak.

The Wakefield-Huddersfield rivalry is amusing in a way; I used to work with a Huddersfield fans so used to go to a few of their games and the mutual loathing was obvious. I think it dated back to when they were both aiming to get into Super League?

4 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

That game holds the attendance record for Leigh, 12,005, looked absolutely rammed on TV. But I wasn't there so you'll be the better judge of what happened, my interpretation is just how I remember it from watching on TV. 

Ah right. I remember leading up to it there were all kinds of complaints about the ground not being big enough, not having enough tickets etc so me and my friends were surprised when there were so many empty seats (in both the Widnes and Cas areas). 

Archived