Really nice Towns

Just a counterbalance to the dreadful towns thread.

I don't get to go there very often, but I rather like Northallerton. Most of the shops are still on the main street, rather than killed off by an out-of-town retail estate (although there is one). Small enough that there are plenty of independent shops, but large enough for a Waterstones and some other chains. Plus they have the marvellous food chop/cafe Lewis & Cooper.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Biggar is lovely. I've also thoroughly enjoyed Llangollen, Ludlow, penrith, louth, beverley, and plenty more. 

Britain does have many counter-balances to Rovrum and luton.......

Edit. Malaig was one of the most spectacular visits ever.... for a whole host of reason. Great drive there in brilliant sunshine on an ice cold day in February. Fabulous fish restaurant. Very welcoming locals. Great music in the pub. Nice working town tucked away on the coast amongst a stunning backdrop.... free range wild haggis there too!!

40 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

I don't get to go there very often, but I rather like Northallerton. Most of the shops are still on the main street, rather than killed off by an out-of-town retail estate (although there is one). Small enough that there are plenty of independent shops, but large enough for a Waterstones and some other chains. Plus they have the marvellous food chop/cafe Lewis & Cooper.

Hastings.

This thread is now closed.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Hastings.

This thread is now closed.

Are you sure ? I watched these documentaries about Hastings during the war and there were endless murders and crime . Foyle’s War it was called 

Just now, DavidM said:

Are you sure ? I watched these documentaries about Hastings during the war and there were endless murders and crime . Foyle’s War it was called 

I mean, yes, the endemic murdering is a problem but I tend to just view that as a seaside quirk.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Just now, gingerjon said:

I mean, yes, the endemic murdering is a problem but I tend to just view that as a seaside quirk.

Look on the bright side , they get solved quick . Usually about an hour and a half so the police are on the ball

3 minutes ago, DavidM said:

It's up there with Midsomer and the island of St-Marie for it's death rate

2 minutes ago, Shadow said:

It's up there with Midsomer and the island of St-Marie for it's death rate

I kid you not , someone did once say to me ‘ Remind me not to go to Midsomer for my holidays ‘

7 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I kid you not , someone did once say to me ‘ Remind me not to go to Midsomer for my holidays ‘

They film that in Chesham where, coincidentally, I used to live.

I guess the thing about workington is the views out . I can go down to the shore and look out over the Irish Sea and sea a full profile of the Isle of Man and then work round to the Scottish coast .... then look the opposite way and see the hills of the western lakes . The town in between ? Well it’s all subjective 

3 hours ago, Futtocks said:

I was based near Thirsk and we used to go up to Northallerton occasionally, lovely place. Less stuck up than Richmond. 

Local to me now is Bury St Edmunds that is a lovely place. Nice and relaxing, and quite well laid out. 

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Pickering is also nice from that area

Five yards scrum.... i was playing no8 at union.... we were being shoved back so I picked up the ball... head down charged forrad..... straight into the post. Out like a light. The night out in pickering after was a hoot.....

52 minutes ago, ckn said:

I was based near Thirsk and we used to go up to Northallerton occasionally, lovely place. Less stuck up than Richmond. 

Local to me now is Bury St Edmunds that is a lovely place. Nice and relaxing, and quite well laid out. 

Richmond was always full of bikers.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

Can't beat Skipton, but I'm biased, as I worked there for fourteen years and Mrs WWD is Skipton born and raised.

I moved to Skipton from...Northallerton!  I agree, a great place too, and Lewis & Cooper's still takes some beating.

I have a very soft spot for Whitby, not least of all because my son was born there.

How small can a town be?  I ask because I love Settle too.

Down here, Romsey is very attractive (it doubled as Kingsmarkham in the Inspector Wexford TV series), Devizes is well worth a visit (especially Wadworth's brewery - good tours, shop and pub) and Bradford-on-Avon is an absolute gem, just spoiled a bit by the through traffic.  Also attractive is Shaftesbury (queue Dvorak and the Hovis ad!), but is it big enough to be a town?  Or maybe it is the function of a place, not its size, that makes it qualify, in which case Shaftesbury certainly does.

North of the border, I have a soft spot for Oban.  There's always something going on, especially in the harbour area.

Skipton has a terrific Christmas Market.... a great chippy and a really good French resto..

On another rugby theme... i scored 3 tries at Skipton for wath.... i thought I was an international..... I ran in to the post at pickering two weeks later......

Oh aye.... great butcher in skipton too. Lovely place

1 hour ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

Can't beat Skipton, but I'm biased, as I worked there for fourteen years and Mrs WWD is Skipton born and raised.

I moved to Skipton from...Northallerton!  I agree, a great place too, and Lewis & Cooper's still takes some beating.

I have a very soft spot for Whitby, not least of all because my son was born there.

How small can a town be?  I ask because I love Settle too.

Down here, Romsey is very attractive (it doubled as Kingsmarkham in the Inspector Wexford TV series), Devizes is well worth a visit (especially Wadworth's brewery - good tours, shop and pub) and Bradford-on-Avon is an absolute gem, just spoiled a bit by the through traffic.  Also attractive is Shaftesbury (queue Dvorak and the Hovis ad!), but is it big enough to be a town?  Or maybe it is the function of a place, not its size, that makes it qualify, in which case Shaftesbury certainly does.

North of the border, I have a soft spot for Oban.  There's always something going on, especially in the harbour area.

I agree about Romsey, I also have a lot of time for Downton. Alresford just north of Winchester is very nice.

3 hours ago, DavidM said:

I guess the thing about workington is the views out . I can go down to the shore and look out over the Irish Sea and sea a full profile of the Isle of Man and then work round to the Scottish coast .... then look the opposite way and see the hills of the western lakes . The town in between ? Well it’s all subjective 

Wton Poster.jpg

Jam Eater  1.(noun. jam eeter) A Resident of Whitehaven or Workington. Offensive.  It is now a term of abuse that both towns of West Cumbria use for each other especially at Workington/Whitehaven rugby league derby matches.

St Albans Centurions Website 

47 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Skipton has a terrific Christmas Market.... a great chippy and a really good French resto..

On another rugby theme... i scored 3 tries at Skipton for wath.... i thought I was an international..... I ran in to the post at pickering two weeks later......

Oh aye.... great butcher in skipton too. Lovely place

Food , food and food ??

Archived