Really nice Towns

4 hours ago, DavidM said:

I guess the thing about workington is the views out . I can go down to the shore and look out over the Irish Sea and sea a full profile of the Isle of Man and then work round to the Scottish coast .... then look the opposite way and see the hills of the western lakes . The town in between ? Well it’s all subjective 

There are plenty of days when you won't see the Isle of Man or Scotland, or the hills of the Western lakes on a really bad day. The good days make up for that though

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, DavidM said:

I guess the thing about workington is the views out . I can go down to the shore and look out over the Irish Sea and sea a full profile of the Isle of Man and then work round to the Scottish coast .... then look the opposite way and see the hills of the western lakes . The town in between ? Well it’s all subjective 

1 hour ago, Exiled Townie said:

Wton Poster.jpg

Just for you Town lads

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

Knaresborough. My York-Leeds rail season ticket is valid via Harrogate and Knaresborough so I can go home that way of an evening and take in a couple of pubs and a stroll along the river. One of the many things that Covid-19 has done for, at least for a while.

9 hours ago, Robin Evans said:

Dartmouth and Totnes were nice towns when I visited a few years ago.....

They are - but very different. Dartmouth being full of sailors (mostly the yacht type rather than Royal Navy) and Totnes being the kind of place where people who find Glastonbury a bit mainstream move to and where the post office window has about ten different people advertising didgeridoo lessons.

1 hour ago, JonM said:

They are - but very different. Dartmouth being full of sailors (mostly the yacht type rather than Royal Navy) and Totnes being the kind of place where people who find Glastonbury a bit mainstream move to and where the post office window has about ten different people advertising didgeridoo lessons.

A very accurate assessment... exactly how we found those two towns.

We enjoyed a mooch on the South Coast. Stayed on Brixham which I also enjoyed.

Totnes was a quirky surprise. It was like a hippy commune. I loved it.

Back to the food obsession.... surprisingly good fish n chips in Brixham and the pasties...... fabulous.

Back in the 1970's Salford used to have a great shopping area, called Regent Road, Cross Lane, even Trafford Road, and they even had a market where you could buy ANYTHING, but then the council killed the City by regeneration (Demolition), I am a fan of mordernist architeture, except Salford Precient, and the old Manchester Arndale (Great job by the IRA in 1996, no one was killed, plenty of advance warning, cleared the area).

19 hours ago, Robin Evans said:

Skipton has a terrific Christmas Market.... a great chippy and a really good French resto..

On another rugby theme... i scored 3 tries at Skipton for wath.... i thought I was an international..... I ran in to the post at pickering two weeks later......

Oh aye.... great butcher in skipton too. Lovely place

To be honest, RE, it is Grassington, ten miles up the road, that has more of a reputation for a Christmas Market.  I think of Skipton more as having a good, open air market week in week out.

19 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Food , food and food ??

Nothing wrong with that, especially in Skipton, Gubrats.  Mind you, I should declare an interest, I first met Mrs WWD by being a customer at the café her mother ran, normally single handed.  Then one day, she had a charming waitress giving her a hand.  This was the future Mrs WWD back from teacher training college for the holidays and coming in to give her mum a helping hand.  The rest, as they say, is history.  Truly the way to a man's heart is through his stomach!

2 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Hebden Bridge

I once said to a boss of mine with a Devonian background that I had never seen so many copies of The Guardian newspaper for sale as I had in a Hebden Bridge newsagent one morning.  He rolled his eyes heavenward and said, "Try Totnes!"

19 hours ago, Shadow said:

I agree about Romsey, I also have a lot of time for Downton. Alresford just north of Winchester is very nice.

I agree Alresford is very attractive.

I live just up the hill from Downton and, to be honest, tend to look on it as a village rather than town.  But you are right again, it is both attractive and interesting.  The long wide area, with extensive 'village' green, is known as The Borough.  If you look at the houses on there, some have a number on a small plaque on the front wall.  This is not, apparently, a house number, but rather a burgage number.  Downton was a rotten borough at one time, returning at least one MP to Westminster.  If you lived in a property with a burgage number (or possibly, if you owned it and were male) you got a vote.  So, to put it another way, most people in Downton didn't.  At one time, Bobby Shafto - he of going to sea, folk song fame - although from the north-east, was a Downton MP!

4 hours ago, Canis Lupus said:

Can't mean Brampton Ontario ?

No, Brampton, north of England, CL!  It's about ten miles east of Carlisle, close to what was once called The Debatable Land, an interesting area, historically seeming to sometimes be neither in Scotland nor England.

7 hours ago, GeordieSaint said:

Alston, Corbridge, Brampton, Keswick, Harrogate, Matlock, Middleton-in-Teesdale, Barnard Castle(!)

I've been to Barnard Castle twice, but it was a while back, and I remember very little apart from the Bowes Museum and the stunning swan automaton.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

No, Brampton, north of England, CL!  It's about ten miles east of Carlisle, close to what was once called The Debatable Land, an interesting area, historically seeming to sometimes be neither in Scotland nor England.

I figured it was that one. Just a joke with a few on here who know where I am located in Canada .  

On 25/06/2020 at 13:35, Robin Evans said:

Biggar is lovely. I've also thoroughly enjoyed Llangollen, Ludlow, penrith, louth, beverley, and plenty more. 

Britain does have many counter-balances to Rovrum and luton.......

Edit. Malaig was one of the most spectacular visits ever.... for a whole host of reason. Great drive there in brilliant sunshine on an ice cold day in February. Fabulous fish restaurant. Very welcoming locals. Great music in the pub. Nice working town tucked away on the coast amongst a stunning backdrop.... free range wild haggis there too!!

Did you go into the market at Louth  Robin, the stall that made their own sausages was the most popular stall/shop in town. Sadly no longer there.

4 hours ago, Futtocks said:

I've been to Barnard Castle twice, but it was a while back, and I remember very little apart from the Bowes Museum and the stunning swan automaton.

There also used to be an amazing, huge second-hand bookshop in an old mill on the Tees, but technically it might have been on the other side of the river and hence, technically, in Startforth.  When I first knew this locality, the Tees was the boundary between Durham and the North Riding, whereas nowadays all of Teesdale is in Durham...at least for local government purposes!

I always thought that the silver swan automaton would have been the obvious backdrop against which my amateur, early music group could have sung Orlando Gibbons' brilliant and moving madrigal, The Silver Swan, but sadly we never got to perform there.

Skipton is a brilliant town, so is Abergavenny. Both have terrific markets and pubs and both are set in fantasic areas of countryside.

I love going to both but I'd rather live in Bradford because it's a bit more rock'n'roll.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

love the market in bury,and the farmers markets brill in skipton and a nice drive out too,do like a wander round whitby and a run up to saltburn pier is super.ossett is a real nice place on a friday,and my all time bestist is barnsley cos its ace,upstairs cafes with dinners made by old colliery womenand school dinner ladys.and another good little place to wander round is halifax town center/market,

Archived