Really nice Towns

The only thing wrong with Hebden Bridge is the single-lane road to it from Halifax ... you are guaranteed to be following a bus or JCB for at least 2 miles of the journey. The town is pub heaven and the food in the Trades Club is the business. Good bands there as well. I saw Wilko Johnson play a dynamite set a few years ago.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Wolford6 said:

The only thing wrong with Hebden Bridge is the single-lane road to it from Halifax ... you are guaranteed to be following a bus or JCB for at least 2 miles of the journey. The town is pub heaven and the food in the Trades Club is the business. Good bands there as well. I saw Wilko Johnson play a dynamite set a few years ago.

Plus it has roadworks on it as a permanent fixture. ?

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

On 25/06/2020 at 19:50, JohnM said:

Holmfirth. (resident for 8 years), Holmbury St Mary (in digs there for 4 years on and off), Louth, Ely.

I'm doing some work in Holmfirth at the moment. I also went to a fascinating presentation by Doug Scott at the Picturedrome a few years ago.

My old boss was a fell and cross-country runner for Holmfirth Harriers. He has a mug (coaster?) confirming that he has run a four minute mile.

He achieved this feat when he was in his forties. It's a run down a sheer hill slope round there. You go flat out and it's so steep that you're too scared to stop!

We've been drawing up a list of places to possibly move to (no point staying in expensive, crowded Cambridge if I don't need to work, other than friends). It's funny how much that list overlaps with suggestions in this thread.

2 hours ago, Wolford6 said:

My old boss was a fell and cross-country runner for Holmfirth Harriers. He has a mug (coaster?) confirming that he has run a four minute mile.

More people have been up Everest than have run a mile in under four minutes on the track. I'm always amazed at how fast fell runners can go down steep slopes (to be fair, I'm also impressed at how quick they go up them too.)

2 hours ago, JonM said:

More people have been up Everest than have run a mile in under four minutes on the track. I'm always amazed at how fast fell runners can go down steep slopes (to be fair, I'm also impressed at how quick they go up them too.)

Plus for fell running you have to be totally fearless and not afraid of getting hurt running downhill (or any other part of the race really)

I'm getting better at it (don't run true fell races that often) but I don't have the balls to go full on downhill

Some of the fell runners took up marathons in the 80's to test themselves - and some posted very good times. Kenny Stuart won his debut marathon (Glasgow) in 2 hrs 14

On 25/06/2020 at 16:49, gingerjon said:

I mean, yes, the endemic murdering is a problem but I tend to just view that as a seaside quirk.

We had a similar issue in Oxford. On the other hand, it has very nice pubs.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

On 25/06/2020 at 19:50, JohnM said:

Holmfirth. (resident for 8 years), Holmbury St Mary (in digs there for 4 years on and off), Louth, Ely.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

7 hours ago, JonM said:

We've been drawing up a list of places to possibly move to (no point staying in expensive, crowded Cambridge if I don't need to work, other than friends). It's funny how much that list overlaps with suggestions in this thread.

If I lived in Cambridge I wouldn't move Jon! 

We are regulars for family days out... Great fun at Wimpole too

31 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

St. Albans is a beautiful place in parts. I love Roman history and not many better places in England for it

You could go to Caerleon to walk around  the amphitheatre and have a look in the Roman garrison museum for free. There are no entry fees for museums etc in Wales.

Man, Myth and Magic: Looking For King Arthur's Camelot ...

11 minutes ago, Wolford6 said:

You could go to Caerleon to walk around  the amphitheatre and have a look in the Roman garrison museum for free. There are no entry fees for museums etc in Wales.

Man, Myth and Magic: Looking For King Arthur's Camelot ...

Second the recommendation for Caerleon. It’s an amazing place.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

St. Albans is a beautiful place in parts. I love Roman history and not many better places in England for it

Like every town, there are nice areas and not so nice areas.

In St Albans case, compared to a lot of other towns,  their nice areas are very, very nice and their not so nice areas are still pretty good.

From Bill Bryson's Notes from a Small Island

Such is Wigan's perennially poor reputation that I was truly astounded to find it has a handsome and well-maintained town centre. The shops seemed prosperous and busy and there were lots of public benches to sit on for the many people unable to take an active part in all the economic activity around them. Some talented architect had managed to incorporate a new shopping arcade into the existing fabric of the buildings in a simple but deceptively clever and effective way by making the glass canopy of the entrance match the line of the gables of the surrounding structures. The result was an entrance that was bright and modern but pleasantly harmonious - precisely the sort of thing I've been going on about for all these many pages - and I was delighted to think that if this sort of thing is going to happen just once in Britain that it should be in poor beleaguered Wigan.

To celebrate, I went off to have a cup of tea and a sticky bun at a place indoors called the Corinthia Coffee Lounge, which boasted, among its many other advertised features, a 'Georgian Potato Oven'. I asked the girl at the counter what that was and she looked at me as if I were very strange.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

I quite liked Pocklington, a place I had never heard of and never been to that my wife decided would be a nice place to spend New Year.

Some nice friendly little drinking establishments, friendly folk (weird for Yorkshire).

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

3 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Done the tour at Oxford which is a lot of fun

When my mum was in her early dementia years I used to take her out for a drive to places, stop for a coffe and back home again.  Went to Oxford one day and while looking for a place to park she said "oh we don't want to stop here look the buildings are all old and falling down.  They need to pull it all down and start again!".  Yes mother ?.  Turned around and took her back to Thame which apparently was much more acceptable ?

In the blink of an eye it could all be taken away.  Be grateful always.

14 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Can i suggest in better years keeping an eye on https://research.reading.ac.uk/silchester/ just south of Reading in the countryside is an abandoned Roman town (Calleva Atrebatum/Silchester) the uni gets it's archeology students to do their fieldcraft there and every summer they have a couple of saturdays when they have open days, you can have Q&A's with the professors as they run walking tours around the site explaining what you can see. We used to take the kids every year (they have la little plot of soil seeded with bits of pot and tile for the children to dig in) as for over a decade they were digging the dsame town block/Insula taking down through the roman occupation to Neolithic - the best finds form the site (as plundered by the Victorians) are in Reading Museum including the Eagle which inspired "Eagle of the Ninth" https://www.readingmuseum.org.uk/your-visit/permanent-galleries/silchester-gallery

The walls are extant for most of the town circumference standing a good 20' high but surrounding fields and able to be walked by public footpath - there is also an amphitheatre, although that was rather mucked around with by the Victorians. Last year they were redigging the bath house complex which apparently was still a standing 2 story ruin as late as the 11th century (there is a woodcut of it)

Bath house excavation - building to right is a the public toilet, top end is uphill and had a cistern that they could raise a wooden flap and let a few hundred gallons of water collected from the spring uphill of that flush the drains through into the ditch in the wooded area which then runs under the town wallDJI_0178.jpg

12 hours ago, heartofGold said:

When my mum was in her early dementia years I used to take her out for a drive to places, stop for a coffe and back home again.  Went to Oxford one day and while looking for a place to park she said "oh we don't want to stop here look the buildings are all old and falling down.  They need to pull it all down and start again!".  Yes mother ?.  Turned around and took her back to Thame which apparently was much more acceptable ?

Ha ha.... Slum clearance of Trinity college! 

Up until the 60s I think all colleges/buildings were black with spot and apparently the whole town had a very different feel. I assume they sandblast the buildings now

Archived