Really nice Towns

1 hour ago, SSoutherner said:

Can i suggest in better years keeping an eye on https://research.reading.ac.uk/silchester/ just south of Reading in the countryside is an abandoned Roman town (Calleva Atrebatum/Silchester) the uni gets it's archeology students to do their fieldcraft there and every summer they have a couple of saturdays when they have open days, you can have Q&A's with the professors as they run walking tours around the site explaining what you can see. We used to take the kids every year (they have la little plot of soil seeded with bits of pot and tile for the children to dig in) as for over a decade they were digging the dsame town block/Insula taking down through the roman occupation to Neolithic - the best finds form the site (as plundered by the Victorians) are in Reading Museum including the Eagle which inspired "Eagle of the Ninth" https://www.readingmuseum.org.uk/your-visit/permanent-galleries/silchester-gallery

The walls are extant for most of the town circumference standing a good 20' high but surrounding fields and able to be walked by public footpath - there is also an amphitheatre, although that was rather mucked around with by the Victorians. Last year they were redigging the bath house complex which apparently was still a standing 2 story ruin as late as the 11th century (there is a woodcut of it)

Bath house excavation - building to right is a the public toilet, top end is uphill and had a cistern that they could raise a wooden flap and let a few hundred gallons of water collected from the spring uphill of that flush the drains through into the ditch in the wooded area which then runs under the town wallDJI_0178.jpg

Nice one, will definitely put that in tje plan for summer

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, Wolford6 said:

You could go to Caerleon to walk around  the amphitheatre and have a look in the Roman garrison museum for free. There are no entry fees for museums etc in Wales.

Man, Myth and Magic: Looking For King Arthur's Camelot ...

Caerleon is a fantastic place. Good call.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

On 26/06/2020 at 22:11, Wolford6 said:

The only thing wrong with Hebden Bridge is the single-lane road to it from Halifax ... you are guaranteed to be following a bus or JCB for at least 2 miles of the journey. The town is pub heaven and the food in the Trades Club is the business. Good bands there as well. I saw Wilko Johnson play a dynamite set a few years ago.

do what Michael Portillo did, go on the train.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

18 minutes ago, Trojan said:

do what Michael Portillo did, go on the train.

We do quite often but the last train back is at 11pm. Yesterday, I agreed with a mate from Manchester to meet up there when the pubs re-open.

A good few years ago, the first time  my friends and I went on the train from Bradford, we got to the station just as the train was about to leave. The ticket office said we could pay on the train. We knew about the 11pm curfew so were debating whether to get single or return tickets. The guard selling the tickets said that a single fare was £2 and a return was £2.20. We risked the 20p. ?

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

4 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Nice one, will definitely put that in tje plan for summer

They run a FB page as well which gives updates on what they are up to digging wise

When happening the organised open days are worth the visit (free as well with just a donation bucket)

Have seen some great talks there over the years from Lindsey Davies talking about how she researches before writing the Falco series to an experimental archaeologist (Dr Sim ?) who was an ex sheffield steelworker making replica roman era weapons on an open air forge (inc human powered bellows) and demonstrating a Falx on a fake shoulder of ballistic jelly covered in legionary armour

52 minutes ago, SSoutherner said:

They run a FB page as well which gives updates on what they are up to digging wise

When happening the organised open days are worth the visit (free as well with just a donation bucket)

Have seen some great talks there over the years from Lindsey Davies talking about how she researches before writing the Falco series to an experimental archaeologist (Dr Sim ?) who was an ex sheffield steelworker making replica roman era weapons on an open air forge (inc human powered bellows) and demonstrating a Falx on a fake shoulder of ballistic jelly covered in legionary armour

Love it. Spoke to the missus earlier and def booking it in. Reading is just within our reach for a day excursion 

4 hours ago, Trojan said:

Tadcaster. Three breweries! Cab't be bad!

One of the breweries is John Smiths though; enough to put any town on probation.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

9 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Love it. Spoke to the missus earlier and def booking it in. Reading is just within our reach for a day excursion 

Warning - the parking is just a dusty chalky car park and there is pretty much zero on site food drink wth just portaloos - so plan where you will go local for lunch. If not going on an official open day you can park by the church which is closer to the amphitheatre but it's car park is rammed on open days (only takes about 8-10 cars)

Oh and if going to Reading for the museum parking is horrendously expensive

7 minutes ago, SSoutherner said:

Warning - the parking is just a dusty chalky car park and there is pretty much zero on site food drink wth just portaloos - so plan where you will go local for lunch. If not going on an official open day you can park by the church which is closer to the amphitheatre but it's car park is rammed on open days (only takes about 8-10 cars)

Oh and if going to Reading for the museum parking is horrendously expensive

Cheers, we always bring a picnic for our days out.... I guess spending so much time amongst RL northerners has made me tight ?

5 hours ago, Trojan said:

Tadcaster. Three breweries! Cab't be bad!

Tadcaster should be really nice, but unfortunately it's an antediluvian hellhole full of racists and really belongs in the other thread.

4 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Cheers, we always bring a picnic for our days out.... I guess spending so much time amongst RL northerners has made me tight ?

PS as it is just south of M4 J11 you could likely find a Swindon St George or Reading Raiders match to watch as well  

On 27/06/2020 at 20:57, Padge said:

I quite liked Pocklington, a place I had never heard of and never been to that my wife decided would be a nice place to spend New Year.

Some nice friendly little drinking establishments, friendly folk (weird for Yorkshire).

That's because it's in the East Riding. You've clearly being going to the wrong parts of Yorkshire (Leeds perhaps?).

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

5 hours ago, Futtocks said:

One of the breweries is John Smiths though; enough to put any town on probation.

Or Heineken UK as it is now. It really is brewing on an industrial scale. The site seems as big as the whole town.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

18 minutes ago, Griff said:

Castle Douglas

Newton Stewart

I've been planning some long distance runs, and yesterday was actually looking at places to stay in those two towns (probably not going to be this year though).  What makes them "really nice" towns?

On Sunday, June 28, 2020 at 15:47, Robin Evans said:

Indeed. Horrible stuff

I can't drink Sam Smith's bitter either but some of the bottled beers are good.

On 28/06/2020 at 15:47, Robin Evans said:

Indeed. Horrible stuff

Probably costs about 10p per pint to produce and that is much than what its worth!

1 hour ago, JonM said:

I've been planning some long distance runs, and yesterday was actually looking at places to stay in those two towns (probably not going to be this year though).  What makes them "really nice" towns?

Jeez - it's about 500 miles - that's a helluva run!

Castle Douglas has a long high street with a fair few independent shops - noted for its food.

Newton Stewart's not quite so big but has nice walks along the river.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

12 minutes ago, Griff said:

Jeez - it's about 500 miles - that's a helluva run!

I was looking at doing the Southern Upland Way - 214 miles coast to coast. There's a race which takes place over 4 days. I'd probably do it in a leisurely 10. I was looking at those towns to see if my wife might be persuaded to help out a bit at the start so I didn't have to carry all my stuff for the full distance. Now tempted to do a bit of a holiday in that area anyway. I've always whizzed through the south of Scotland on my way to the Highlands & Islands.

Archived