Really nice Towns

3 minutes ago, JonM said:

I was looking at doing the Southern Upland Way - 214 miles coast to coast. There's a race which takes place over 4 days. I'd probably do it in a leisurely 10. I was looking at those towns to see if my wife might be persuaded to help out a bit at the start so I didn't have to carry all my stuff for the full distance. Now tempted to do a bit of a holiday in that area anyway. I've always whizzed through the south of Scotland on my way to the Highlands & Islands.

It's a fair few miles to the SUW.  I've not done the whole thing but I've done few sections along the way.

Galloway is a very overlooked area of Scotland.  It includes a very topical landmark - Loch Doon.?

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A few favourites (which I don't think have appeared yet): Aberaeron, Alnmouth, Appleby, Bridgnorth, Filey, King's Lynn (the older bits), Nantwich, Peebles, Penzance-Newlyn, Saltburn, Stamford, Stirling, Stonehaven, Tynemouth, Ulverston.

1 hour ago, Hopping Mad said:

A few favourites (which I don't think have appeared yet): Aberaeron, Alnmouth, Appleby, Bridgnorth, Filey, King's Lynn (the older bits), Nantwich, Peebles, Penzance-Newlyn, Saltburn, Stamford, Stirling, Stonehaven, Tynemouth, Ulverston.

Peebles is nice.  Also Thurso.  And Annan.  And Kirkby Stephen.  And Holywood.

2 hours ago, Hopping Mad said:

The old Hanseatic bit of King's Lynn is lovely. The crowd at Kings Lynn banger or stock car racing track on a Saturday night also looks like something from history.  The North Norfolk coast is generally pretty nice - I like how each place has its own character - Burnham is Chelsea on sea, Wells has a great beach & seals, Cromer has a pier that's actually worth a visit, Sheringham has the best steam trains.

Alnmouth & the whole Northumberland coast is fantastic; amazing how little visited Northumberland is. Not really a town though - you can walk from one end to the other in a couple of minutes.

Stamford often wins those "Best town in England" type awards.

South east of England isn't coming out too well in this thread, is it?

7 minutes ago, JonM said:

Alnmouth & the whole Northumberland coast is fantastic; amazing how little visited Northumberland is. Not really a town though - you can walk from one end to the other in a couple of minutes.

I'm not sure Northumberland is as undiscovered as once it was - as holiday cottage rental rates indicate.

Berwick has its detractors but I've always liked the place.

As for the South East, well, Whitstable has been mentioned. Parts of Rochester are OK, Canterbury is decent, bits of Broadstairs and Deal are pleasant enough, Lewes is a nice little town and Rye is very twee.

50 minutes ago, JonM said:

I've had a couple of holidays up that way, staying at Craster (where the best kippers come from). Lovely part of the world; Lindisfarne, Bamburgh, Alnwick etc.

Alnwick also has a huge SH bookshop in the old station building.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

55 minutes ago, JonM said:

Dump.

And it's too hard to get to.

4 hours ago, Hopping Mad said:

I'm not sure Northumberland is as undiscovered as once it was - as holiday cottage rental rates indicate.

As for the South East, well, Whitstable has been mentioned. Parts of Rochester are OK, Canterbury is decent, bits of Broadstairs and Deal are pleasant enough, Lewes is a nice little town and Rye is very twee.

KENT

WHITSTABLE/CANTERBURY/SEVENOAKS/TUNBRIDGE WELLS/TENTERDEN/BROADSTAIRS/DEAL/SANDWICH/BECKENHAM:) ROCHESTER (Old Town) 

Plenty of nice places to live in Kent and the villages especially my way are fab, I live in one called Chiddingstone and its wonderful ?

Paul

Chiddingstone is really lovely.  Been fishing there and took the kids there many times when they were young.  Hever Castle, Bough Beech.  School houses were Penshurst and Hever, can't remember the others.  Toys Hill too was very nice.

In the blink of an eye it could all be taken away.  Be grateful always.

13 hours ago, JonM said:

A town can only be classed as "lovely" by comparing it to places that aren't. I've never been to most of the south east so can't comment on anything beyond London.

Fortunately, we have enough dumps in the North that can be useful refernce points.

When people slag off Bradford, I naturally assume that they must be referring to the one in Manchester. Now that is a serious dump. I've worked there twice.  A police van drives round all day just to show the locals that they are around and there was a 24-hour solicitors practice around the corner from the police station..

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

8 hours ago, Wolford6 said:

A town can only be classed as "lovely" by comparing it to places that aren't. I've never been to most of the south east so can't comment on anything beyond London.

Fortunately, we have enough dumps in the North that can be useful refernce points.

When people slag off Bradford, I naturally assume that they must be referring to the one in Manchester. Now that is a serious dump. I've worked there twice.  A police van drives round all day just to show the locals that they are around and there was a 24-hour solicitors practice around the corner from the police station..

Bradford on Avon counts as lovely

image.jpeg.b735c94806d5cd830f369f9fa618fc7a.jpeg

Edit, I forgot @Wiltshire Warrior Dragonbeat me to it on the first page of the thread.

22 hours ago, JonM said:

I should hope not. I don't want any of you lah-dee-dah types getting to where the dual carriageway runs out on the A21 and realising that this is where the good stuff is.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

17 hours ago, gingerjon said:

I should hope not. I don't want any of you lah-dee-dah types getting to where the dual carriageway runs out on the A21 and realising that this is where the good stuff is.

Having moved a whole 12 miles from West Hampshire to East Wiltshire I'm now firmly in the Western Counties and I agree with the northern chaps, you South Eastern Lah i dahs with your funny cockney ways are proper (consults Wiltshire Dialect for Dummies) moonied up

25 minutes ago, Shadow said:

Having moved a whole 12 miles from West Hampshire to East Wiltshire I'm now firmly in the Western Counties and I agree with the northern chaps, you South Eastern Lah i dahs with your funny cockney ways are proper (consults Wiltshire Dialect for Dummies) moonied up

What even is a Hampshire?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

12 hours ago, doc said:

More. Pembroke, Lyme Regis, Haworth, Keswick, Silloth, Macclesfield.

I'll go with Lyme Regis, very nice town.

PAJ_5946.jpg

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

8 hours ago, Padge said:

I'll go with Lyme Regis, very nice town.

PAJ_5946.jpg

Load of cobb-lers.

Actually, I agree, Padge, Lyme is lovely, but, having thought of the terrible joke, I just couldn't resist it....but probably should have!

20 minutes ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

Load of cobb-lers.

Actually, I agree, Padge, Lyme is lovely, but, having thought of the terrible joke, I just couldn't resist it....but probably should have!

Speaking of Cobb-lers, here is another one I took earlier.

PAJ_5932.jpg

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

1 minute ago, Padge said:

Speaking of Cobb-lers, here is another one I took earlier.

PAJ_5932.jpg

Are you sure that's The Cobb, Padge?  I can't see Meryl Streep anywhere!

5 minutes ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

Are you sure that's The Cobb, Padge?  I can't see Meryl Streep anywhere!

She's sat in The Royal Standard waiting for a storm.

On 01/07/2020 at 17:38, Hopping Mad said:

I visited Alnwick in about 2002 when it was unknown, and we were really impressed. That has changed a lot since.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Archived