Michael Carter / Wakefield

12 minutes ago, OMEGA said:

Mike Carter getting a bit vexed on the other forum because he’s had a little bit of scrutiny.

Some people are questioning whether it’s sunlight shining out of his backside or just the back door security light which he’s setting off himself by regularly jumping up & down in front of it.

He’s worried the facade might be slipping

What other forum Omega, please point me in the right direction.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Scubby said:

I said that is his model in a nutshell. It is currently going a bit #### up because SL are punishing Wakefield for not investing in facilities. If he is spending £1m or £1.4m it really doesn't matter. Like it or not, Wakefield are just Oldham, York, Batley or Rochdale with SL central funding. 

I was born in Wakefield I have no axe to grind. The stadium looks little different from the one I played schools finals on over 30 years ago. The changing room facilities were #### then too.

Yet we’ve  won a lot more trophies than them clubs added together.

We are the famous Wakefield Trinity 

Love this club love this City

Up the Trin 

31 minutes ago, WakefieldCityLoyal said:

Up the Trin 

Have you? I think Oldham and Batley have 5 Championships and 6 Challenge Cups between them. I may be wrong of course.

1 hour ago, WakefieldCityLoyal said:

Up the Trin 

Those trophies were won long before Super League was ever considered.Or Sky paid out money. 

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

39 minutes ago, Angelic Cynic said:

Those trophies were won long before Super League was ever considered.Or Sky paid out money. 

So does that make them even less important? I would say they were much more difficult to win because of the length of the season incorporating Autumn, Winter, & Spring and the number of matches played often closely together and incorporating a often physically taxing job. A true test of endurance.

1 hour ago, Scubby said:

Have you? I think Oldham and Batley have 5 Championships and 6 Challenge Cups between them. I may be wrong of course.

Oldham on their own have an honours record pretty much identical to Wakefield's (23 v 24 'major' trophies, League 4 v 2, CC 3 v 5, County League 7 v 7 and County Cup 9 v 10)

8 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Oh yes I am very aware of that site, "it don't impress me much".

To be fair this site is mainly just the West Yorkshire mafia slapping each other on the back, how dare anybody suggest that Cas and Wakey are dead beat clubs dragging the sport down to a semi-professional level. They are traditional clubs playing out of traditional stadiums we don’t want any of that 20th century rubbish here. 

9 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Oldham on their own have an honours record pretty much identical to Wakefield's (23 v 24 'major' trophies, League 4 v 2, CC 3 v 5, County League 7 v 7 and County Cup 9 v 10)

I think you've missed Wakefield's other four Yorkshire Cup wins in 1879, 1880, 1883 & 1887 ? 

5 hours ago, Bostik Bailey said:

To be fair this site is mainly just the West Yorkshire mafia slapping each other on the back, how dare anybody suggest that Cas and Wakey are dead beat clubs dragging the sport down to a semi-professional level. They are traditional clubs playing out of traditional stadiums we don’t want any of that 20th century rubbish here. 

What have other clubs done that Cas & Wakey have not done?

(apart from, by luck, being in the right place at the right time/having a local soccer team/supportive local authority/sugar daddy?)

What advantage do you think Cas & Wakey have gained by not having a new/redeveloped stadium?

Who should replace Cas & Wakey in the top flight?

2 hours ago, Wholly Trinity said:

(apart from, by luck, being in the right place at the right time/having a local soccer team/supportive local authority/sugar daddy?)

What advantage do you think Cas & Wakey have gained by not having a new/redeveloped stadium?

Who should replace Cas & Wakey in the top flight?

In some ways a club like St Helens are just Castleford with a rich backer. It's pretty grotesque for fans of theirs (or any club) to think they have some sort of moral superiority over other clubs and other fans when they've just struck it lucky.

39 minutes ago, M j M said:

In some ways a club like St Helens are just Castleford with a rich backer. It's pretty grotesque for fans of theirs (or any club) to think they have some sort of moral superiority over other clubs and other fans when they've just struck it lucky.

In my opinion we have 3 genuine big clubs in British RL Leeds, Wigan and Hull FC.  You have the rest with some clubs who have more potential than others but for some bad luck, bad management, lack of a money man or in some cases a mixture of all 3 there’s not much difference between the other SL clubs + Halifax Leigh Oldham Bradford Fev Widnes.

1 hour ago, WakefieldCityLoyal said:

In my opinion we have 3 genuine big clubs in British RL Leeds, Wigan and Hull FC.  You have the rest with some clubs who have more potential than others but for some bad luck, bad management, lack of a money man or in some cases a mixture of all 3 there’s not much difference between the other SL clubs + Halifax Leigh Oldham Bradford Fev Widnes.

I gave you a like Wakey, which I will not take away, but 2 of your 3 'genuine' big clubs Wigan and Hull FC are just rent paying tennants at the grounds they play at, should a genuine big club fall into that category?

4 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

I gave you a like Wakey, which I will not take away, but 2 of your 3 'genuine' big clubs Wigan and Hull FC are just rent paying tennants at the grounds they play at, should a genuine big club fall into that category?

The 3rd one in that list also 'rents' a significant portion of its stadium... 

13 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

The 3rd one in that list also 'rents' a significant portion of its stadium... 

It doesn't really. The club leases its land to a company who leases it to the council who lease it back to the club. Financing vehicles are interesting and this one achieved all sorts of aims for Yorkshire and the council but... substance over form.

10 minutes ago, M j M said:

It doesn't really. The club leases its land to a company who leases it to the council who lease it back to the club. Financing vehicles are interesting and this one achieved all sorts of aims for Yorkshire and the council but... substance over form.

The Council documents regarding the'deal' would suggest otherwise and they (nor YCC) do not own the 'buildings' 

5 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

The Council documents regarding the'deal' would suggest otherwise and they (nor YCC) do not own the 'buildings' 

Exactly, that's the point of the legal form of the arrangement.

But substance over form again.... At the end of the deal the clubs own the land and the clubs own the buildings. And during the course of it they can make "overpayments" on their "rents" which shorterns the term of the arrangement. It's effectively a mortgage.

5 hours ago, Wholly Trinity said:

One of them (not saying who) has consistently lied and decieved the RFL about ground development plans for what seems like an eternity.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

2 hours ago, WakefieldCityLoyal said:

I think there is a lot to be said about this.

I have seen the likes of Oldham and Halifax in the top flight and if they were in Super League for the last 2 decades with Sky money like Salford, Warrington, Castleford and Wakefield then they would be just as strong, if not stronger. Warrington are a club transformed with Moran and the new stadium, and fair play to them, the more clubs like that the better. However if Oldham had got something like that and Warrington were still having money troubles at Wilderspool would it just be a role reversal? I think so. If Halifax had the backing and management that Huddersfield have got would they have vastly greater attendances than Huddersfield now? Probably.

I remember a few times defending Sheffield Eagles from the Rugby will never work in Sheffield type attacks. In the 90s for a time Sheffield had very similar attendances to Warrington and Castleford, without the benefit of very close local rivals too and playing at an athletics stadium out of town. A lot of clubs were averaging pretty similar crowds, some have grown and some have practically died a death as they have fallen out of the top flight, lost grounds etc. People always talk about Bradford being a big club but for the majority of my life Bradford have been far from one, with poor crowds and money troubles, bar a blip of a decade or so where everything fell into place. 

A quirk of fate saw teams succeed or not at the time of Super League. If that had happened a decade or so before then things would have been greatly different. As much as I don't like a lot of the stuff that Hudgell says I have great respect for what he has done at Hull KR. Against all odds he has built a strong club, with a decent stadium and strong crowds when they could have easily gone the way of other clubs that were left out of Super League.

3 hours ago, WakefieldCityLoyal said:

Is that Hull F.C who have never won the right to be in Super League but did it by merging with Gateshead and are not always the best side in the City of Hull.

10 minutes ago, Damien said:

I think there is a lot to be said about this.

I have seen the likes of Oldham and Halifax in the top flight and if they were in Super League for the last 2 decades with Sky money like Salford, Warrington, Castleford and Wakefield then they would be just as strong, if not stronger. Warrington are a club transformed with Moran and the new stadium, and fair play to them, the more clubs like that the better. However if Oldham had got something like that and Warrington were still having money troubles at Wilderspool would it just be a role reversal? I think so. If Halifax had the backing and management that Huddersfield have got would they have vastly greater attendances than Huddersfield now? Probably.

I remember a few times defending Sheffield Eagles from the Rugby will never work in Sheffield type attacks. In the 90s for a time Sheffield had very similar attendances to Warrington and Castleford, without the benefit of very close local rivals too and playing at an athletics stadium out of town. A lot of clubs were averaging pretty similar crowds, some have grown and some have practically died a death as they have fallen out of the top flight, lost grounds etc. People always talk about Bradford being a big club but for the majority of my life Bradford have been far from one, with poor crowds and money troubles, bar a blip of a decade or so where everything fell into place. 

A quirk of fate saw teams succeed or not at the time of Super League. If that had happened a decade or so before then things would have been greatly different. As much as I don't like a lot of the stuff that Hudgell says I have great respect for what he has done at Hull KR. Against all odds he has built a strong club, with a decent stadium and strong crowds when they could have easily gone the way of other clubs that were left out of Super League.

HKR do not have a decent stadium at all.  Barring the new north stand and conference centre, the existing 'best stand' is slowly falling into disrepair, the east stand is the same and south end is an open terrace which, bizarrely, has conifer trees planted as a windbreak.  

8 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

HKR do not have a decent stadium at all.  Barring the new north stand and conference centre, the existing 'best stand' is slowly falling into disrepair, the east stand is the same and south end is an open terrace which, bizarrely, has conifer trees planted as a windbreak.  

Ok, it depends on your definition of decent and its not really the point of the post anyhow. They get all revenue from it, have improved it and its still better than some Super League clubs who haven't either been gifted a new stadium from the local council or had great help from a benefactor. They have done very well as a club in my opinion from where they were. 

2 minutes ago, Damien said:

Ok, it depends on your definition of decent and its not really the point of the post anyhow. They get all revenue from it, have improved it and its still better than some Super League clubs who haven't either been gifted a new stadium from the local council or had great help from a benefactor. They have done very well as a club in my opinion from where they were. 

Its not a definition but based on my knowledge of construction.  I'm not sure they get all the money from it either as a big portion of income comes from the Training Centre under the new stand.  That was part of the deal  for the Council.

Both Hull clubs are struggling as are most.

1 hour ago, Blind side johnny said:

One of them (not saying who) has consistently lied and decieved the RFL about ground development plans for what seems like an eternity.

Can you be more specific?  

Lied & deceived? - strong words. Do you have any evidence at all for such an accusation? 

Assuming you're implications are towards Wakefield, can you point out any specific moment in time where the stadium plans were not true?

Building a stadium for an RL club without a big money backer, opportunistic developer, piggybacking a soccer team or even a supportive local authority is nigh on impossible.

Every plan over the last 40 years has been genuine at the time, but has failed for a variety of reasons. Even central government intervention failed in the one before last. 

So, I call fake news - unless you have some specific evidence to back up your allegation. 

Archived