Michael Carter / Wakefield

1 minute ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Carter actually uses an Internet Fans Forum?

OH Yes ?

He loves to go on there and play the big I am, his specialities are killing any rumours about players coming or leaving, ridiculing anyone who has an opinion and his extra special trick is threatening legal action against anyone who writes stuff he doesn’t like.

He goes by the name of Daddycool, ? ? 

He completely misses the point abut forums being a place where fans can gather and gossip, dream and speculate, much the same as they do in a pub or in the crowd at a match.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, OMEGA said:

OH Yes ?

He loves to go on there and play the big I am, his specialities are killing any rumours about players coming or leaving, ridiculing anyone who has an opinion and his extra special trick is threatening legal action against anyone who writes stuff he doesn’t like.

He completely misses the point abut forums being a place where fans can gather and gossip, dream and speculate, much the same as they do in a pub or in the crowd at a match.

Those of us with no axe to grind welcome his informative contributions.

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

If I understand correctly,  the club offered him a new deal, and he rejected it? If the club don't value him as high as he, or his advisors think, what's the story? This must happen at every club, with numerous players.

As mentioned on this thread, Ryan Hampshire was in a similar situation last year. Shouldn't the agents get more blame?

2 hours ago, Wollo Wollo Wayoo said:

Those of us with no axe to grind welcome his informative contributions.

Those who know him better understand that the image he presents to you and the reality are very different.

6 minutes ago, OMEGA said:

Those who know him better understand that the image he presents to you and the reality are very different.

Yeah, whatever. ?

Wakefield Trinity RLFC

1 minute ago, Wollo Wollo Wayoo said:

Yeah, whatever. ?

You can believe what you want, I really don’t care!

Like you I’m an avid Wakefield Trinity fan and the club will always come first but I won’t  slavishly tow the party line when I know different.

you can only act on what you see and hear so I don’t blame you for not believing, he’s good at presenting himself as something he’s not.

15 hours ago, dboy said:

If he's worth what he thinks he is, someone will take him.

If not, they won't.

It's a fair market and he's entitled to take his chance.

The market may judge him to be a better Hermes driver than he is (may become), a winger.

BTW - You'd have to pay me a lot more than £16k for me to even watch RU, let alone play it.

You are missing the point; whether that is deliberate or accidental is unclear.

Another club might decide that he is worth, say, £5k more than Wakefield are prepared to offer but would baulk at the prospect of paying a £41k fee to do so. In that case the player cannot sign for anyone other than Wakefield who, in his opinion, aren't offering enough. Retain and transfer has a very murky history.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

11 hours ago, OMEGA said:

You can believe what you want, I really don’t care!

Like you I’m an avid Wakefield Trinity fan and the club will always come first but I won’t  slavishly tow the party line when I know different.

you can only act on what you see and hear so I don’t blame you for not believing, he’s good at presenting himself as something he’s not.

I think this is a fair comment. 

I completely get why Carter's stock is high amongst Wakefield fans, particuarly given the history that the club has had with past owners. It makes complete sense that he is held in high regard. I've said previously on this thread, the man is clearly a very good accountant and there is a lot to be said for good accountants. If you want a man to come into a club and cut costs to the bone, then there are few better. 

But the impression that many Trin fans give you is that he is a flawless individual who cannot be critiqued, whose positions on key issues facing the sport is inherently right and whose way of working is the only one that is right for Wakefield and the sport at large. 

But when you look at his comments in the press and on social media, there is an awful lot to be critical of. 

His comments about the future growth of the sport are unambitious and regressive. His views on marketing and product development are out-dated and costly. His comments about issues such as the salary cap and the attitude he seems to show to his players (two examples that come to mind are his tweet in response to the player's union campaign and, as mentioned earlier, his going public in effectively saying that "your insubordination will be punished" to players who didn't - and possibly couldn't afford to  - take a pay cut), show a lack of respect and empathy for already under-paid playing talent who should presumably be happy with their lot. 

There is a lot to rightfully and fairly critique and the fact that Carter seems to take exception to such scrutiny really does speak volumes. 

2 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

You are missing the point; whether that is deliberate or accidental is unclear.

Another club might decide that he is worth, say, £5k more than Wakefield are prepared to offer but would baulk at the prospect of paying a £41k fee to do so. In that case the player cannot sign for anyone other than Wakefield who, in his opinion, aren't offering enough. Retain and transfer has a very murky history.

I'm not missing that point at all - it's a rule that applies to every club in the RFL and it was put there to ensure the "big" clubs coming in and taking players whom other clubs had developed, paid proper compensation.

It's not Wakefield being "bad" - it's the rule.

10 minutes ago, dboy said:

I'm not missing that point at all - it's a rule that applies to every club in the RFL and it was put there to ensure the "big" clubs coming in and taking players whom other clubs had developed, paid proper compensation.

It's not Wakefield being "bad" - it's the rule.

The rule should be only for players still in contract though surely? If a club doesn't tie a young player down to a long deal thats their responsibility.

If you're out of contract this does seem all very pre-Bosman era thinking.

14 minutes ago, dboy said:

It's not Wakefield being "bad"

Nobody is saying it is.

What they are saying is that it is a rule that hampers a player's ability to test his value on a free and open market. The rule actively puts Kershaw at a disadvantage when compared to other players in the market and arguably gives undue leverage to his existing club. 

It is a rule that has good intentions but is very much working against the player. 

Maybe if players were paid more and treated better then such a rule wouldn't be needed? If a player is only on 16k its not right that they are held to ransom and locked into that.

If such a rule is really needed to protect against big clubs stealing players then perhaps it should only apply if the said player is getting paid a minimum amount, say 25k and/or the compensation is in proportion to the last year of a players contract. If that is 16k then the compensation cant be more than that or half that.

2 hours ago, whatmichaelsays said:

But the impression that many Trin fans give you is that he is a flawless individual who cannot be critiqued, whose positions on key issues facing the sport is inherently right and whose way of working is the only one that is right for Wakefield and the sport at large. 

Yeah, we’ve all got shrines to him in the old coal house as well. 

Come on mate, by presenting Wakey fans as idiots who are enslaved by a cult leader you’re able to win your argument just by saying ‘he’s not flawless and he can be critiqued’. Poor. 

39 minutes ago, Curly perm said:

Yeah, we’ve all got shrines to him in the old coal house as well. 

Come on mate, by presenting Wakey fans as idiots who are enslaved by a cult leader you’re able to win your argument just by saying ‘he’s not flawless and he can be critiqued’. Poor. 

I'm going on my experience with some sections of the Wakefield support (admittedly more so on the other forum than on here). I never suggested that Wakefield fans were idiots (that's your inference).

At worst, I've implied that a section of them might be looking at Carter through red, white and blue tinted spectacles. 

59 minutes ago, RigbyLuger said:

Have the RLPA said anything against this £40k fee?

I'd be surprised if it held up in court. A rule cooked up by businesses in an industry that restricts an out-of-contract  individual's freedom to sign a new contract is just asking to be struck down. 

8 hours ago, RigbyLuger said:

Have the RLPA said anything against this £40k fee?

Has any other club shown the slightest bit of tentative interest to his agent?

Wakefield Trinity RLFC

1 hour ago, Wollo Wollo Wayoo said:

Has any other club shown the slightest bit of tentative interest to his agent?

That's why this is such a non-story. Fringe player in "not earning loads of money" 

Look at Tom Johnstone, how many times have the club been happy to renew his deal since he broke through. You can't throw money at everyone, can you?

50 minutes ago, OMEGA said:

Super League’s restart in August could be under threat because of player unrest over continued pay cuts

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/53314482

It seems all isn’t as well as we’d hope

Which are the two other clubs that have sorted the pay situation then? Warrington have given a date for training to restart but I’m not sure if that means they have their house in order, based on what Cooper is raising (unless he’s referring to other clubs only).

The thing is, the future can’t be certain until we’ve let the second wave of the virus build and have found a manageable ‘acceptable’ hospitalisation rate. This could be a while away, so whatever clubs agree to now may have to change anyway. If a club only makes 50% of it’s normal revenue for the next 18-24 months we won’t see full rate salaries being maintained.

Pretty much the only thing apart from Hull being sorted is that Warrington aren't sorted.

As a negotiating strategy to encourage players to take pay cuts, signing one of the world's best players on presumably not peanuts isn't a great one.

3 hours ago, Cheshire Setter said:

Which are the two other clubs that have sorted the pay situation then?

Wakey and Cas?

Wakefield Trinity RLFC

1 hour ago, M j M said:

As a negotiating strategy to encourage players to take pay cuts, signing one of the world's best players on presumably not peanuts isn't a great one.

I suppose their argument is that by 2021 when Inglis arrives revenue and pay will be back to normal. I’m not convinced although I obviously hope so. In fact if COVID 19 is more than just a nuisance by the start of next season I wouldn’t expect Inglis to even bother coming over... COVID is a risk everywhere but try selling that risk to your other half in a wet and miserable part of the world (compared to your sunny beachfront paradise).

On 30/06/2020 at 20:42, OMEGA said:

OH Yes ?

I ain't a Wakefield follower but I have not seen anything written by Mr Carter on RlFans That I would find fault with.

Some followers of the sport really enjoy reading the truth from a club owner, and information straight from the horse's mouth.

It may be that the loan,or part of it,becomes a grant - https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/players-union-boss-calls-ban-22324343

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

Archived