Championship clubs still in deadlock

12 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

This is the important part, the championship belongs to the clubs collectively, not individually. 

No definitive format had yet been set to take a vote of any kind, assumingly it is up to Mr Rimmer to either just tell the Championship clubs what he considers the appropriate action for the rest of the season, take a majority wins vote or let each club decide their own preference as to play on or not.

And don't go on about constitutions, these are extraordinary times and in extraordinary times extraordinary measures are taken, unless you can point me to the clause which states "What to do in the event of a pandemic"

• Replies 760
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Why am I trying to appease them all? That's right, I'm not. And nor should the RFL.

If the majority vote to restart then we restart. If the majority vote not to restart then we don't.

And you did manage to avoid saying what the magic number in your fantasy is? If only Leigh vote to restart do they finish top of the competition and get promotion?

You know very well that not only Leigh would want to restart, c'mon Ginge you have more brains than making proposals such as that.

11 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Well i was talking ethically rather than practically. Practically, the championship belongs to the RFL and they can decide. 

The RFL board, not council, make the decision on P+R.

SL is slightly difference because it can keep all 12 currently in, in if it so wishes. 

So any vote by the championship is purely advisory and the power rests entirely with Rimmer and the board. 

Yes.

17 minutes ago, Ackroman said:

I would start the season in September with a break after Boxing day until March and then finish in and around May/June with promotion for season 2022. 

Why the winter break Akro? The player's and fan's will have had a 5 month furlough by September, then you propose at least another two months off after Boxing day, play for 3 months then presumably have 7 months of till the start of 2022.

Your idea has some ground for me but I would play it through to a conclusion about March time, then has happened with the winter to summer transition in '95, a shortened format could be devised to take us back into a regular fixture list in 2022.

If crowds are allowed back come September everyone wins.

19 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

You know very well that not only Leigh would want to restart, c'mon Ginge you have more brains than making proposals such as that.

How many then? How many to make it reasonable? Two, three ...?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

12 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Not sure it'd be that close; 8-4 against a Championship restart I'd imagine.

I'm not so sure it really is up in the air how Bradford, Widnes, Sheffield, York etc would vote aside from the 4 that you'd put in the certainties category. Either way I wouldn't push for a vote until I was certain I would win - which clearly isn't the case now.

Just now, Harry Stottle said:

I consider there would be a minimum of 5.

That's less than half the League H? Which would make voting that through a bit tricky as presumably someone (possibly 2 teams if it goes to a 51% system) would have to vote to restart but not actually restart themselves?

26 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

3 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I'm not so sure it really is up in the air how Bradford, Widnes, Sheffield, York etc would vote aside from the 4 that you'd put in the certainties category. 

Harry, who do you know that definitely wants to restart. Leigh and Featherstone are definite, I assume. Has any other club actually said that they wish to re-start?

Bradford keep getting put in these lists, but they have already said they are against restarting

Just now, paulwalker71 said:

Harry, who do you know that definitely wants to restart. Leigh and Featherstone are definite, I assume. Has any other club actually said that they wish to re-start?

Bradford keep getting put in these lists, but they have already said they are against restarting

Leigh, Fev, then I suppose London and Toulouse are in there. The situation for the rest would clear up again if the situation on crowds was clearer.

Also, https://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/sport/18532354.bradford-bulls-drawing-player-budget-2021-season/. This article would suggest the Bulls are wanting to resume training next month. That's not the attitude of the null and void brigade really?

7 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

That's less than half the League H? Which would make voting that through a bit tricky as presumably someone (possibly 2 teams if it goes to a 51% system) would have to vote to restart but not actually restart themselves?

Read back Tommy, my proposal is not a binary vote.

2 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Read back Tommy, my proposal is not a binary vote.

I appreciate that your splitting between continue and not. But it seems from the clubs official statements that this is an all in all out kind of deal. So even the clubs that voted to void would still vote on whether the others could continue a "championship" season.

4 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

You bored Harry ? ?

No not really Gubby, multitasking watching the NRL and writing on here.

You and I never thought we would see RL again this year, but now that has been dismissed with the SL decision of hostilities recommencing in August, I would prefer those in the Championship who wish to play on to compete for promotion are allowed to do so, maybe attendances are allowed in or after September, those who decide to sit it out will rue that decision then, and I won't be turning up to watch friendlies any more.

6 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I appreciate that your splitting between continue and not. But it seems from the clubs official statements that this is an all in all out kind of deal. So even the clubs that voted to void would still vote on whether the others could continue a "championship" season.

Do you consider that to be a fair conclusion, those who want to sit it out can do so without affecting anything else.

16 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Because non of those ' events ' had started , non of them last 6 months and all of them require huge amounts of International travel , not forgetting the hundreds if not millions of fans involved in watching them , will that do ?

Jeez - let's be honest, Divs 2 and 3 had barely started.  Nobody had played more than five games.  Some fewer.  Rochdale and Sholars had played one game.

It's not Mastermind.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

1 hour ago, Ackroman said:

I would start the season in September with a break after Boxing day until March and then finish in and around May/June with promotion for season 2022. 

A three part season ?  Is that attractive to anyone ?

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

9 minutes ago, Griff said:

A three part season ?  Is that attractive to anyone ?

I don't think so. I don't see any real problem with continuing into the winter though, or with cutting this season down to a smaller number of games e.g. play each other team once rather than twice. 

I have some sympathy with Harry's position here. Those clubs being funded by benefactors want to get the season on. The clubs that depend on people turning up to watch understandably can't afford to play until spectators are allowed in. I don't have any strong objection to those clubs whose owners can afford it having their own competition this year, leaving the other clubs alive to fight another day. The wartime emergency leagues or the shortened 1995 transition to summer season give us a precedent.

I guess if SL says no promotion/ relegation, do those clubs still want to go ahead? How many clubs do you need for a credible competition - I would think 4 is probably too few?

33 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Do you consider that to be a fair conclusion, those who want to sit it out can do so without affecting anything else.

I think thats totally fine, but on whether those matches actually can contribute to anything meaningful due to the number of teams involved I have doubts.

1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

I think thats totally fine, but on whether those matches actually can contribute to anything meaningful due to the number of teams involved I have doubts.

Without being cruel, there are a lot of  fixtures in the Championship that are anything but meaningful.

People talk about the void in SL being that there are two divisions within one, the chasm in the Championship is twice as wide and far deeper.

1 hour ago, paulwalker71 said:

No I don't Paul, but I wouldn't mind learning of the definitive number.

13 hours ago, Steve Slater said:

According to the latest release about Super League returning in August, it is anticipated that crowds will be allowed back in September.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/53196901?fbclid=IwAR15EFRBYJd6Kcww05XvW-GaEN2l9jlaZyVvL8jmW7gVtnlLhi_CtN4kJMg

Most Championship clubs would be able to fit everyone in, even with social distancing, and testing costs might be lower by then, especially if the saliva test being trialled in Southampton proves successful? Players wouldn't have to come off furlough altogether  for pre-season training, it would be just like going in to work a few hours a week, so they could go part-time furlough.

These two major enablers might never happen, but it would be letting the rugby starved fans down to call everything off without waiting to see whether the lockdown ease doesn't have repercussions? Some clubs, however, just want to squeeze every last penny out of the tax payer via the furlough scheme while not giving anything back to the sponsors and season ticket holders..

If we get a second wave this coming winter it could even wreck hopes for 2021, so why not get some rugby in while we can?

Which are these clubs Steve - name and shame? I haven't heard anyone seriously suggest this previously so I assume that you must have some evidence.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

2 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

If the whole season had not been interrupted only one would still have been rewarded that's not rocket science Johnny, and good luck to whoever gained promotion.

That's my point Harry - someone will have been disappointed in any case, so no change there. What's the fuss about?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Archived