Championship clubs still in deadlock

• Replies 760
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Thanks for that Ginge, not one person has said yet what harm it would do letting each Championship club decide what their own personal circumstances dictate they do, if they don't want to play on they don't they achieve their desire of what they want to do with no penalties against them, if on the other hand some clubs wish to carry on for what would be something meaningful for one of them - promotion - then that is not affecting those other clubs who wish to sit it out at all, is it?

There would be no promotion from such an arrangement Harry. Will a nice shiny trophy do?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

2 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

That's my point Harry - someone will have been disappointed in any case, so no change there. What's the fuss about?

Being given the opportunity to realise the investment the owners have made, you obviously feel Dewsbury are just "an also ran" and should just sit it out, I know it seems a long time ago but Dewsbury were playing very well it was a great game v Widnes.

So if you want to sit it out are you happy to be instrumental in making everyone else do so, when the effect would be negligible to Dewsbury, if so why do you not want those who can to play on?

18 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Without being cruel, there are a lot of  fixtures in the Championship that are anything but meaningful.

People talk about the void in SL being that there are two divisions within one, the chasm in the Championship is twice as wide and far deeper.

I don't think its cruel H, I think its quite a frank assessment that most would agree with. The problem with saying that is that it risks becoming a case of people in glass houses.

When do you envision the 5 or 6 clubs actually restarting Harry? What does that season look like to you

There are still way too many questions. Like the testing, how does it work? I presume players and families would be tested hence where the high figures have come to. How far does that need to be expanded given most players in the Championships work other jobs.

Regards any sort of vote, there is no way the RFL can force teams to abide by any vote in what could actually turn out to be a vote that could put a number of clubs out of business. I can however understand the clubs who may have slightly overspent this season and their frustrations afterall its the best chance of promotion they are going to get if you compare the make up of the division to previous seasons and potential future seasons. Again I can understand why they may have overstretched themselves for the chance of the golden ticket this year.

Ive said before I still think the amateur game will resume before the semi pro game and there will be a good influx of players from the Championships as they go back to grass roots, theres still a lot of players that play for the love of the game. This will be great for the amateur game.

Theres still a lot of questions regarding player contracs which I believe normally run till October? Once clubs are forced to start paying money towards the furrloughed players we may get more clubs showing their hands as that would be an obvious point to either renogotiate with players or to simply release them from their contracts and effectively make them unemployed as there would be no work for them. We are going to see large numbers of players become available as clubs cut their cloth accordingly.

For me Ive seen our game slowly moving back to the amateur game and this has just brought that a whole lot closer as it is clear there is not enough money in the game to support the current structures.

8 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

There would be no promotion from such an arrangement Harry. Will a nice shiny trophy do?

I think that may be the reality that faces the Championship unless it can get up and running asap.

11 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Being given the opportunity to realise the investment the owners have made, you obviously feel Dewsbury are just "an also ran" and should just sit it out, I know it seems a long time ago but Dewsbury were playing very well it was a great game v Widnes.

So if you want to sit it out are you happy to be instrumental in making everyone else do so, when the effect would be negligible to Dewsbury, if so why do you not want those who can to play on?

Don't judge everyone by your own standards Harry. Whilst I am a Dewsbury supporter I am also committed to the best interests of all, not simply my own club.

You should try it - you may even find it enlightening.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

4 minutes ago, the man said:

Would you mind changing the picture under your posts please. I feel very violated by it especially after you got stripped of the 2009 title and we didnt get any winning money instead. ?

6 minutes ago, the man said:

I think that's a pretty good statement by the Barrow chairman.

Everyone would like to get the game restarted, but I guess we need clarity on the cost of testing and on when crowds will be allowed (and under what conditions). No concrete facts on the latter are likely to be forthcoming - that's obviously holding up things like county cricket being able to make any decisions too.

2 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

Don't judge everyone by your own standards Harry. Whilst I am a Dewsbury supporter I am also committed to the best interests of all, not simple my own club.

You should try it - you may even find it enlightening.

You have either forgotten or not read a lot of what I have penned previously about my concern for the game as a whole, but that has nothing whatsoever to do with this extraordinary circumstance of this season we find ourselves in, again if Dewsbury decided to sit it out I would accept that without question, why can you not give your blessing to teams who would wish to carry on, how would it affect Dewsbury and any other club who wishes to abandon the season?

10 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

There are still way too many questions. Like the testing, how does it work? I presume players and families would be tested hence where the high figures have come to. How far does that need to be expanded given most players in the Championships work other jobs.

Regards any sort of vote, there is no way the RFL can force teams to abide by any vote in what could actually turn out to be a vote that could put a number of clubs out of business. I can however understand the clubs who may have slightly overspent this season and their frustrations afterall its the best chance of promotion they are going to get if you compare the make up of the division to previous seasons and potential future seasons. Again I can understand why they may have overstretched themselves for the chance of the golden ticket this year.

Ive said before I still think the amateur game will resume before the semi pro game and there will be a good influx of players from the Championships as they go back to grass roots, theres still a lot of players that play for the love of the game. This will be great for the amateur game.

Theres still a lot of questions regarding player contracs which I believe normally run till October? Once clubs are forced to start paying money towards the furrloughed players we may get more clubs showing their hands as that would be an obvious point to either renogotiate with players or to simply release them from their contracts and effectively make them unemployed as there would be no work for them. We are going to see large numbers of players become available as clubs cut their cloth accordingly.

For me Ive seen our game slowly moving back to the amateur game and this has just brought that a whole lot closer as it is clear there is not enough money in the game to support the current structures.

Fair summary Soxy. Just to be clear how do clubs go about releasing players from fixed-term contracts arbitrarily?

I am aware that many Championship clubs are already actively discussing contracts for next season with players and even signing contraacts now, before any possible return. Add to the mix the loss of the reserves league next season and some people have estimated that there will be a lot of players looking for contracts next season.

3 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

You have either forgotten or not read a lot of what I have penned previously about my concern for the game as a whole, but that has nothing whatsoever to do with this extraordinary circumstance of this season we find ourselves in, again if Dewsbury decided to sit it out I would accept that without question, why can you not give your blessing to teams who would wish to carry on, how would it affect Dewsbury and any other club who wishes to abandon the season?

You don't need my blessing Harry. If a small number of clubs wish to play a truncated competition then that is fine, once a decision had been made that the Championship season was to be abandoned. As I have said before, however, this would be most unlikely to result in promotion to SL.

2 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

At last, a sensible view on the matter.

Agreed. He wants to resume paying in front of fans, not behind closed doors, and is looking for some semblance of a road map that leads to this. Perfectly reasonable in my view.

1 minute ago, Blind side johnny said:

You don't need my blessing Harry. If a small number of clubs wish to play a truncated competition then that is fine, once a decision had been made that the Championship season was to be abandoned. As I have said before, however, this would be most unlikely to result in promotion to SL.

At least it would be a starting point for discussion about promotion, doing nothing is just giving in.

10 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

Fair summary Soxy. Just to be clear how do clubs go about releasing players from fixed-term contracts arbitrarily?

I am aware that many Championship clubs are already actively discussing contracts for next season with players and even signing contraacts now, before any possible return. Add to the mix the loss of the reserves league next season and some people have estimated that there will be a lot of players looking for contracts next season.

Im not sure regarding the contracts as Im just presuming it would be like getting rid of an employee as effectively there is not the work there for them. I guess like making them redundant but obviously that would be problamatic for players that have been at clubs a number of years.

2 minutes ago, POR said:

That seems to be a very well-balanced view.

3 minutes ago, POR said:

"The Club feels it is important that the RFL surveys are collated by the Clubs league status only and not a collaboration of Championship and League One Clubs."

That to me suggests they think there are enough Championship teams wanting to get the season back underway.

1 minute ago, The Blues Ox said:

Im not sure regarding the contracts as Im just presuming it would be like getting rid of an employee as effectively there is not the work there for them. I guess like making them redundant but obviously that would be problamatic for players that have been at clubs a number of years.

I may also be wrong but I believe that most fixed term contracts are effectively payable in full, unless there is agreement between both parties.. This is one of the things that Michael Carter is complaining about where some players have refused salary reductions.

1 minute ago, Blind side johnny said:

I may also be wrong but I believe that most fixed term contracts are effectively payable in full, unless there is agreement between both parties.. This is one of the things that Michael Carter is complaining about where some players have refused salary reductions.

Yeah I guess its going to boil down to how those contracts are written.

Archived