Championship clubs still in deadlock

9 hours ago, Wolford6 said:

Yorkshire clubs want to play, but only if fans are allowed in. 

https://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/sport/18549917.yorkshire-clubs-join-bradford-bulls-call-start/

Sounds like a fudge to placate the fans, whilst knowing that the government is unlikely to approve this ... at least in the short term.

It sounds to me like a perfectly reasonable and open statement of fact and intent. Where is the fudge? The government havent been asked to approve anything but will be expected to issue the appropriate guidelines to all sports in due course.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

• Replies 760
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, SL17 said:

So your own club wants to resume? 

Possibly behind closed doors for four weeks?  2 Homes and 2 Aways without crowds. 

So for the sake of 4 games you would still bin the season?

Did you read the report on the link or just quote me selectively on purpose

The Bulls have been clear.

They do NOT want to resume behind closed doors at all.

They DO want to resume for some sort of shortened competition IF (and ONLY IF) crowds are allowed

It couldn't be clearer

We are now at the end of June.

Half or just over half the fixtures have been lost.

13,14,15 or 16 games have gone.

I have said it for a bit that the shutters should be brought down now.And because of costs etc.

And in my opinion it is time the RFL told the clubs make a decision one way or another within 72 hours...or we will make the decision for you.

It is time this saga is brought to an end.One way or another.

Enough is enough.

3 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

You mean the top two layers of football, of course, not those to whom playing behind closed doors would have been finacial suicide?

This was guidance specifically to the non leagues from National League down to the Isthmian/Southern/Northern Premier. They will be removing county and league cups to ensure a full league season if they can start with crowds in September. They will not be starting without crowds and if they have to start later will revise the season further.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, Robthegasman said:

We are now at the end of June.

Half or just over half the fixtures have been lost.

13,14,15 or 16 games have gone.

I have said it for a bit that the shutters should be brought down now.And because of costs etc.

And in my opinion it is time the RFL told the clubs make a decision one way or another within 72 hours...or we will make the decision for you.

It is time this saga is brought to an end.One way or another.

Enough is enough.

HA HA HA You've not been listening have you

Featherstone Rovers Chairman Mark Campbell my frustrations at the lack of desire from the RFL to get our season back underway and running again.

"It has been three months since we asked the governing body as to what they deemed to be a meaningful season, 

6 minutes ago, POR said:

HA HA HA You've not been listening have you

Featherstone Rovers Chairman Mark Campbell my frustrations at the lack of desire from the RFL to get our season back underway and running again.

"It has been three months since we asked the governing body as to what they deemed to be a meaningful season, 

If I am honest that one is news to me.

Not being a Featherstone fan I would not have known that one.

1 minute ago, Robthegasman said:

If I am honest that one is news to me.

Not being a Featherstone fan I would not have known that one.

To be fair Rob, that quote has been mentioned around this site before. The point being made, I think, is that making decisions is not the strong point at the RFL (to put it mildly...)

They could have made a decision a while ago it's obvious they don't want promotion and relegation so they should have made it clear. What's point playing behind closed doors in the Championship especially with nothing to play for. 

6 hours ago, paulwalker71 said:

To be fair Rob, that quote has been mentioned around this site before. The point being made, I think, is that making decisions is not the strong point at the RFL (to put it mildly...)

I have not seen too much on that one though I have seen posters suggest that.

To me it seems as if we have a situation where a hot potato is being thrown around the room like the Chuckle Brothers would do whilst saying”To you to me” so on and so forth because no one is prepared to take leadership.I think it is pathetic and it shows this sport in an appalling light as you have a not fit for purpose Governing body and clubs who only think of themselves and not the game.

As for the Chuckle Brothers come to think of it they would have done a better job.

5 hours ago, SL17 said:

Yes I read the report. Which validates what you said weeks ago. If I quote you, then yes I’m replying specifically to you.

If you can’t afford to start behind closed doors for 4 weeks/ 4 games. 2 away and 2 at Dewsbury then let’s all bow down to Bradford.

The monotony of clubs holding out to see if fans can return and when, is what’s holding the game back.

3 months/100 days of lockdown and the best you can come up with is a link clarifying your clubs situation.

Which we all knew three months ago.

There is no guarantee that crowds will come back within a couple of months, though clubs are hoping that they can, look at what is happening in Leicester. So it may not be a matter of playing just 4 games without before they return.

Those clubs that are "holding out to see if fans can return" are doing so as to do otherwise would put their future at even greater risk. Weighed against restarting without crowds and risking the likely extinction of multiple clubs, waiting until such time as it is certain that crowds can attend is the eminently more sensible strategy. What you claim is "holding the game back" is where in reality you mean that it is denying Leigh a promotion push. As I have said to another poster previously I understand your frustration and passion for your club but risking the future of 10 or more clubs just to give 3 or 4 clubs a shot at fighting for 1 promotion spot just isn't worth it. Of those promotion chasers after a restart without crowds then the likelihood is that the ones that miss out will be among those collapsing once all that investment doesn't get them a £1.5 million lifesaver. It has happened before without such disruption to the season.

Whenever a season could restart for clubs below SL with or without crowds it would still have to end by a date that did not cause it to impact on the 2021 season at that level so that in itself will limit the number of fixtures that could take place. While the owners of Leigh and Fev currently want to maintain their hopes of promotion, if it came to it that they could only play for example a ten game competition that could provide gate money, prize money and a trophy but not promotion they would be daft to turn it down (and the much needed income that would come with it) out of spite because it didn't have a SL place up for grabs at the end of it.

14 hours ago, gingerjon said:

This was guidance specifically to the non leagues from National League down to the Isthmian/Southern/Northern Premier. They will be removing county and league cups to ensure a full league season if they can start with crowds in September. They will not be starting without crowds and if they have to start later will revise the season further.

And Leagues 1 & 2?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

13 hours ago, paulwalker71 said:

That is a little simplistic Paul, with respect. If the RFL arbitrarily define a "meaningful season" they leave themselves open to dismissal by SL who could then argue more strongly for no P&R. The RFL are trying to keep the P&R door open so thay have to retain their negotiating position with SL in order to do so. Many Chairmen of clubs (including SL ones) seem to believe that they should be privy to everything that is going on all of the time, yet would see nothing wrong with broadcasting this in the media whenever they feel like it.

12 hours ago, MADREDNIGE said:

They could have made a decision a while ago it's obvious they don't want promotion and relegation so they should have made it clear. What's point playing behind closed doors in the Championship especially with nothing to play for. 

Is it?

If it was as obvious as you say what is holding them back from from making it clear?

I still think the decision has yet to be made, whichever way that the powers that be decide what would be the best option if it was their sole directive some clubs would be lets say non to pleased.

The RFL if that is the they you are referring to are in a very delicate situation here, "damnend if they do, and damned if they don't" by whichever fence the individual clubs sit on, that is why I have maintained all along that each club should be given the opportunity to decide themselves if they want to play on or not.

Now the crunch part, being that it would be near impossible for some clubs to even contemplate playing without the income of the paying fan's, whilst for others who have invested in an opportunity to be promoted are seemingly happy to further invest and commit themselves to playing on with no extra income, so when should that decision "hold or fold" be taken? 

There is no gaurentee whatsoever that at any point up to what SL is deeming to be the season's conclusion including the play offs and GF as the end of November that the paying public will be allowed to enter the grounds, so what do the Championship and League 1 clubs do just all sit it out in the hope that if at some point speccies are allowed in and then play as many games as they can get in be it a series of friendlies or for the "Resumption Sheild" or allow those who are willing to take the gamble then the RFL formulates a 'meaningful' competition vor those clubs to award promotion to the winner, but obviously that would have to be agreed with SL before hand, to make it worthwhile.

I am with you 100% there is no point at all playing behind closed doors with nothing to play for, if at all and when spectator's are allowed in those clubs who decided to sit out, can arrange games, and those who took the gamble could benefit from some good attendances, then everyone is pacified.

SL has changed it's format to conclude the season as it was meant to be, with a league ladder culminating with a play-off series and a GF, they have reduced the number of games that the clubs are playing, extraordinary measures for extraordinary times, it can also be done in the Championship if the will us there.

So maybe just maybe Nige, They may be contemplating along these lines to let the clubs make their own decision and could be in discussion with SL to make it a possibility.

Just saying.

2 hours ago, wiganermike said:

There is no guarantee that crowds will come back within a couple of months, though clubs are hoping that they can, look at what is happening in Leicester. So it may not be a matter of playing just 4 games without before they return.

Those clubs that are "holding out to see if fans can return" are doing so as to do otherwise would put their future at even greater risk. Weighed against restarting without crowds and risking the likely extinction of multiple clubs, waiting until such time as it is certain that crowds can attend is the eminently more sensible strategy. What you claim is "holding the game back" is where in reality you mean that it is denying Leigh a promotion push. As I have said to another poster previously I understand your frustration and passion for your club but risking the future of 10 or more clubs just to give 3 or 4 clubs a shot at fighting for 1 promotion spot just isn't worth it. Of those promotion chasers after a restart without crowds then the likelihood is that the ones that miss out will be among those collapsing once all that investment doesn't get them a £1.5 million lifesaver. It has happened before without such disruption to the season.

Whenever a season could restart for clubs below SL with or without crowds it would still have to end by a date that did not cause it to impact on the 2021 season at that level so that in itself will limit the number of fixtures that could take place. While the owners of Leigh and Fev currently want to maintain their hopes of promotion, if it came to it that they could only play for example a ten game competition that could provide gate money, prize money and a trophy but not promotion they would be daft to turn it down (and the much needed income that would come with it) out of spite because it didn't have a SL place up for grabs at the end of it.

To be fair WM you've not been watching have you has previously been posted 

Featherstone Rovers Chairman Mark Campbell I proposed at start date in October and expressed a solution of each club playing one another only once this season,

1 hour ago, Henson Park Old Firm said:

Super League's preference for keeping Toronto in the league next season from a purely financial perspective is obvious even without them stating it.

6th July is going to be a big crunch meeting. The problems are obvious, those in the minority that are determined to restart need to come up with the solution.

30 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Super League's preference for keeping Toronto in the league next season from a purely financial perspective is obvious even without them stating it.

6th July is going to be a big crunch meeting. The problems are obvious, those in the minority that are determined to restart need to come up with the solution.

What if Leigh, Fev, et al said "We'll cover all your costs if you play ?"

As opposed to "we know it'll cost you a lot to play but we need to get one of us promoted because we've spent a lot on wages this year."

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

Just now, Griff said:

What if Leigh, Fev, et al said "We'll cover all your costs if you play ?"

As opposed to "we know it'll cost you a lot to play but we need to get one of us promoted because we've spent a lot on wages this year."

I think there is something in financial bargaining. Next years central funding could be a discussion point considering the team finishing second gets around 850k and the teams at the bottom closer to 150k. 

6 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I think there is something in financial bargaining. Next years central funding could be a discussion point considering the team finishing second gets around 850k and the teams at the bottom closer to 150k. 

It was posted tongue in cheek but, nevertheless, it's the crux of the current debate.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

15 minutes ago, Griff said:

It was posted tongue in cheek but, nevertheless, it's the crux of the current debate.

Its a better line than "grow a pair and come play with us" which seems to have been the mantra coming out of a certain part of the Wigan borough

I think the last couple of posts are bang on the money so to speak.  Distribution of funds definitely needs to be more equal especially after this break in play because of the pandemic.  how are teams receiving 150k ever going to compete against teams receiving the 850k and thats before the benefactors pump hundreds of thousands in as well.  Needs to be a fairer playing field as a question do the superleague clubs have the same funding or is that reliant on where they finish.

42 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Its a better line than "grow a pair and come play with us" which seems to have been the mantra coming out of a certain part of the Wigan borough

Careful Tommy, I don't catagorize all you West Yorkshire folk as being of the same mindset.

1 minute ago, Harry Stottle said:

Careful Tommy, I don't catagorize all you West Yorkshire folk as being of the same mindset.

I don't think its an unfounded categorization Harry, I've seen on several social media pages including this very thread a certain amount of vitriol coming from some Leigh fans. Of course its not all of them.

23 minutes ago, stevevalerugby said:

I think the last couple of posts are bang on the money so to speak.  Distribution of funds definitely needs to be more equal especially after this break in play because of the pandemic.  how are teams receiving 150k ever going to compete against teams receiving the 850k and thats before the benefactors pump hundreds of thousands in as well.  Needs to be a fairer playing field as a question do the superleague clubs have the same funding or is that reliant on where they finish.

There are some factors to take into consideration Steve, firstly for some clubs in SL who use the funding specifically to keep going each season those being the ones who do not utilise the funding they receive to spend up to the cap level, indeed even campaigning for a cap reduction receive all types of criticism because they are not generating enough profit or even have a benefactor putting enough in.

Conversely in the Championship if it was a straight equal funding across the board would that not be detrimental to those benefactors who do pump money into their clubs to try to achieve the better prizes.

2 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

I think that your figures are at least a season out of date. These applied to the says of the 8's surely. The distribution is much flatter now I believe.

Archived