Championship clubs still in deadlock

Should the sport be held hostage by one owner threatening to walk away if not getting his own way, compared to the clubs who would be seriously threatened by playing games behind closed doors, through no fault of their own?

Every club is in this situation thanks to something no-one could have predicted,

• Replies 760
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, stevevalerugby said:

Yes but when central funding gives one team 850k and another 150k the lower teams haven't got a hope.  And i am all for benifactors putting into the club to make it better but surley the RFL wants all clubs to do well especially if the Championship is cut away from funding from Sky and needs to find its own revenue stream.  The closer the teams are in respect of being able to compete the better the product will be.  I watch some football and have found that championship games are far better to watch as the outcome could go either way where as premiership its always 6 clubs and sometimes 1 or 2 will fluke a season. 

Lets get the championship worth watching and get a deal where it is shown preferably on terrestrial tv where we can get the public at large interested.

If they pay , then fine , no money , no RL 

8 hours ago, paulwalker71 said:

Those 7 teams would reduce to 3 or even 2 if fans cannot attend.

It really does come down to that singular question. Can games be played in front of paying fans or do they need to be played behind closed doors?

And that probably reduces to zero if the RFL announces there will be no P&R this year.

12 hours ago, scotchy1 said:

No, as you have just said. You support Leigh RLFC. Not the game. 

Simple question, what do you do different than pay to watch games both at home and how many away games do you get along to also during the course of the season,  you have already informed us on these pages that if you have a season ticket you would be looking for a refund from the club, Hmmmph!

12 hours ago, scotchy1 said:

That isnt Leigh RLFC contributing to the player pool. 

See how you change things, you do have a reputation for doing that, read back dear heart, I said expanding the game into Virgin Territories will not be good for a long period of time to add "new talent" (your words) to the player pool.

Now I don't have to point out to you that this little territory that is Leigh has produced many professional player's and will do so in the future. 

If Canada had just half the number of kids and youth playing the game in 10 to 15 years time that play in the community clubs in Leigh then they would be doing exceptionally well, just saying. 

35 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

We dont grow the pool by taking out the same number of players from the areas we already take them from 

Totally agree, but there has to be a changeover period in this bold new world in Rugby League, I have no doubt if like I have read on these pages that the British game should consist of at least 6 overseas clubs that making way for them there will be casualties over here, it doesn't have to be SL clubs albeit they will most definatley be affected, and not just the professional clubs it would also affect the communities, yes places like Leigh, or Dewsbury or Halifax and a host of other places that nurture the kids along till the bigger clubs take them over.

It is my opinion but you and others may disagree, but we will not see anything positve in player development in any numbers for 40 years in the America's, so albeit your desires are to be applauded the reality is it won't work if you expect your 'new talent' coming from overseas any time soon.

One way it would work is if thousands upon thousands of North Americans and Canadians moved to the M62 corrider, they could intgrate within our structures and schools, be exposed to the game and subsequently participate, a proven model that has already been acheiced in Australia by smaller nations like Tonga, Samoa, Fiji, Cook Islands, trying to reverse that method and expect places that are totally foreign to Rugby League and have a multutude of their own professional sports played in the schools and colleges to prosper and grow is big ask indeed. Perhaps this has already been recognised by Mr Argyle hence aside from his Toronto club he is not getting involved in any grass roots development, you will probably say he doesn't have to, but you are quick to criticise clubs over here who don't have academies, yer the area's still produce.

1 minute ago, RigbyLuger said:

Of any value on a station that matters?

The crumbs from the $uperleague table will be bigger.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

20 hours ago, scotchy1 said:

Super League and the owners of the clubs in it

Ha Ha sorry cant see any of them dipping their hand in their pocket after all they were forced into a reserve league which looks like that will now go to the wall and im sure they will be over the moon.

How do we know what the funding would be after all we dont know yet what next year is going to be after the fallout and i cant see the likes of Leigh, Featherstone, Bradford, Halifax and other clubs being in a development league with their best players taken but with no chance of reaching the promised land of SL.  i would on the other hand like a SL1 and a SL2 with P and R between both divisions with SL2 being funded properly but maybe not on the same amounts of SL1 as i cant see SL teams wanting to share their pot.

22 minutes ago, stevevalerugby said:

i would on the other hand like a SL1 and a SL2 with P and R between both divisions with SL2 being funded properly but maybe not on the same amounts of SL1 as i cant see SL teams wanting to share their pot.

We have that now, It's called Super League and Championship.

2008 RFL Wakefield & District Young Volunteer of the Year

5 hours ago, scotchy1 said:

It would offer them what the reserves league offers them at a lower cost. 

I'd be interested to see your detailed projections on  that.

22 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

It's a simple efficiency saving.

Use WWR as an example. Let's say they partner with, say wigan. These are just e examples the specifics of the clubs dont really matter.

WWR already play, they already have players. Those costs already exist.

Wigan, to run a reserves have had to keep players contracted for longer who they dont expect to make it, and scout train trailers etc who they also dont expect to ever make it. 

So under the suggestion, Wigan only need to retain the ones they are actually investing in, and the costs of staging, officiating, administrating the games are already met. 

So we play and incure the costs of 1 game instead of 2, few players need to be paid, wigan get a high quality game for their reserves, WWR get good quality, free, players and access to Wigans expertise.

They did link.Guess what? Nothing happened.

http://www.llanellionline.news/wigan-warriors-partner-west-wales-raiders/

I think it ended as quickly as it started.Mr Peet left Wigan shortly after the date of the announcement.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

Back on topic I got my latest update from the London Broncos which reads:

Unfortunately at the moment we are no closer to having any sort of clarification on when we will be able to return to training and playing fixtures, either continuing 2020’s fixture list, playing a revised fixture list or simply planning for 2021 knowing that we have played our last game of the year in 2020. The club has a plan for discussing with season ticket holders for each of the above scenarios but until we receive clarification from the Government and in turn the RFL we are still unable to start the process of contacting season ticket holders.

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

1 hour ago, scotchy1 said:

It's a simple efficiency saving.

Use WWR as an example. Let's say they partner with, say wigan. These are just e examples the specifics of the clubs dont really matter.

WWR already play, they already have players. Those costs already exist.

Wigan, to run a reserves have had to keep players contracted for longer who they dont expect to make it, and scout train trailers etc who they also dont expect to ever make it. 

So under the suggestion, Wigan only need to retain the ones they are actually investing in, and the costs of staging, officiating, administrating the games are already met. 

So we play and incure the costs of 1 game instead of 2, few players need to be paid, wigan get a high quality game for their reserves, WWR get good quality, free, players and access to Wigans expertise.

but you work on the Madge that West Wales Raiders would want to do that knowing that they would always be this feeder club.  i have seen what happens when Wigan Warriors partner up with welsh sides and the answer is nothing.  For a start players in South Wales dont want to travel that far west so what makes you think that players would travel from Wigan to West Wales  are they going to travel 2 days a week for training and then again on the weekend for a game or just stroll up on the weekend and take the place of someone who has trained all week and wants to play for West Wales Raiders.  Or do you just move the club to the north lock stock like Hemel Stags did to Dewsbury for all their training and then playing home games in Hemel that really was their death knell and now they are just play in the conference south league.  I cannot see these clubs wanting to become feeder clubs IMO.  I could be wrong but if they wanted to do that then they would be trying to do that anyway. 

12 hours ago, sweaty craiq said:

Scotchy's vision is based upon clubs having no hope, no future, no fans and no point

And angering and alienating thousands of people in the process. 

You’ve also got to ask whether a club that is likely going to be predominantly part-time in a largely part-time league could ever dare to join the top tier? Can you realistically see a club putting together a sound enough business plan to be able to compete with the clubs already in Super League or better one of the existing Super League clubs’ plans if it’s a licensing system?

And if you think the answer is no, where do you go from there if you’re not in the answer is no? History tells you attendances drop off a cliff. The Championship’s average went from 1,874 in 2009 down to 1,199 in 2013, a 36% drop. If your income is falling, again, how do you ever expect to put a sound enough business plan together with less and less income? And where does it stop? If attendances dropped so dramatically in four years how long till clubs are insolvent and teams start dropping? 

This move effectively ends the Challenge Cup, too. The gap between Super League and Championship gets wider and wider, the scorelines likely to get wider and wider and will that entice crowds to turn up to events that they’re not turning up for now?

9 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

If attendances dropped so dramatically in four years how long till clubs are insolvent and teams start dropping? 

Just watch it happen again if a one division licence/franchise is reinstated, along with the fans those who invest in their clubs will most probably also walk, and I for one wouldn't blame them.

8 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

It's that left field it's pretty much exactly what the biggest, most successful Rugby competition has.

What works in other countries won’t necessarily work here, the sporting culture is completely different. 

4 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Yeah, they are successful, we are begging for government loans to pay plays less than delivery drivers. 

Not sure that's a difference we need to keep to placate a few thousand old men at the expense of everything else.

It’s not a few old men. You obviously have no understanding of British sporting culture if you think your plan would work. 

6 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Yeah, they are successful, we are begging for government loans to pay plays less than delivery drivers. 

Not sure that's a difference we need to keep to placate a few thousand old men at the expense of everything else.

Ageist.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

31 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Then why isn't what we are doing, pandering to this 'british sporting culture' working?

Why isnt the British sporting public interested in it at all?

Yes why are we pandering to the fans, they should be completely disregarded when any decisions are made. 

1 hour ago, scotchy1 said:

It's that left field it's pretty much exactly what the biggest, most successful Rugby competition has.

NRL ?

I think it's a bit more of a two way street in Australia.

Archived