Championship clubs still in deadlock

• Replies 760
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Liverpool Rover said:

If fans were pandered to we would be having a 37 team Super League.

If fans were pandered to we would no longer have a professional rugby league.

I feel that clubs outside Super League will end up in a catch 22 situation as if funding dries up as a result of a new TV deal then it is going to need something drastic for Championship and League 1 to continue but anything drastic will make fans of clubs in those divisions walk away.

32 minutes ago, Liverpool Rover said:

I feel that clubs outside Super League will end up in a catch 22 situation as if funding dries up as a result of a new TV deal then it is going to need something drastic for Championship and League 1 to continue but anything drastic will make fans of clubs in those divisions walk away.

Impending doom in the lower leagues has been predicted for years now. Prior to licensing, during licensing and now with a promotion and relegation structure, impending doom predicted too. I bet lower league programmes from 94-96 were full of it too. Dare I say it, whatever happens next, I’m sure the lower league fans and the programme columnists will be predicting doom, too. 

50 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

The status quo, some lower league clubs are fighting for, not only isnt working but is also incredibly precarious. 

Made even more so by the Coronavirus lockdown, I should imagine.

3 hours ago, scotchy1 said:

It's that left field it's pretty much exactly what the biggest, most successful Rugby competition has.

Its not GB our way is to penalise those not good enough for the division they play in by demotion, and rewarding those who are better than those in the division they play in with promotion.

Most sports and pastimes in this country if they have multiple divisions operate this system, Rugby League should be no different whether amateur or professional.

1 hour ago, scotchy1 said:

It isnt working. It regularly causes clubs to go bust, barely any pro clubs in our game bother with youth development. Its killing the game at the moment. 

It has gotten so bad, that we are seeing arguments that some clubs should either kill themselves to play, or opt out of the competition, also a small minority of clubs desperate for an unsustainable promotion can play for it. 

The game, since 2013, has completely eaten itself in an argument about one small, relatively insignificant part of its existence. It has been a complete car-crash that has almost killed many clubs. The worst thing about it is nobody cares and nobody is watching. 

The RFL don't allow teams  like FEV to  run youth development 

17 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

What do you mean clubs like fev.

Championship clubs can run academies 

I mean FEV a heartlands championship club

now  tell me which championship clubs can run an academy

1 minute ago, scotchy1 said:

Bradford. 

bradford were a super league club running an academy  when they got relegated  an academy who still gets   funding from the rfl so they are allowed to keep their academy 

12 minutes ago, POR said:

bradford were a super league club running an academy  when they got relegated  an academy who still gets   funding from the rfl so they are allowed to keep their academy 

I thought that Newscastle ran one.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

1 minute ago, Blind side johnny said:

I thought that Newscastle ran one.

Just now, Tommygilf said:

And London 

that#s true but only because of location the rfl think its too far to ask the young players in london and newcastle to travel to super league clubs to train 

11 minutes ago, Chris Taylor said:

Any team can run an academy, most teams just don't because of the finances. Aka, they'd spend it all on the first team and not think about the long term future of the club / game.

if that's  true why were FEV turned down when they applied to run one on the daryl powell era 

37 minutes ago, Chris Taylor said:

That ended 7 years ago, but explain why they were turned down.

yes that's true we applied in 2011 when we were flying in the championship

the same reason they were fold to disband their u16's and academy while I was coaching the teams at the time

basically down to funding rfl felt that championship clubs could not compete against super league teams who were going to get and still get funding from the rfl and young players would benefit from being in a super league environment rather than the championship

I have been told that those rules still apply

funny thing at the time because rfl were not funding reserves so FEV told they could still run reserves which is ironic this year told to disband reserves for new league because they don't run an academy 🤣

2 hours ago, scotchy1 said:

What do you mean clubs like fev.

Championship clubs can run academies 

Some Championship clubs could NOT run reserve sides even though they had them for years.

https://www.totalrl.com/keighley-heartbroken-by-reserve-grade-rejection/

Sheffield Eagles were not allowed to continue their Academy a few years ago.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

14 minutes ago, POR said:

yes that's true we applied in 2011 when we were flying in the championship

the same reason they were fold to disband their u16's and academy while I was coaching the teams at the time

basically down to funding rfl felt that championship clubs could not compete against super league teams who were going to get and still get funding from the rfl and young players would benefit from being in a super league environment rather than the championship

I have been told that those rules still apply

funny thing at the time because rfl were not funding reserves so FEV told they could still run reserves which is ironic this year told to disband reserves for new league because they don't run an academy 🤣

Bottom line is POR , the RFL know there isn't enough quality for more than the current number of heartland academies , so they don't actually want the lower tier clubs taking players out of the community game , Scotchy knows this , but continues to use academies as a way to ' kick ' the lower tier heartland clubs who show ambition 

6 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Bottom line is POR , the RFL know there isn't enough quality for more than the current number of heartland academies , so they don't actually want the lower tier clubs taking players out of the community game , Scotchy knows this , but continues to use academies as a way to ' kick ' the lower tier heartland clubs who show ambition 

that's true GR but the funny thing this year as has happened every year 12  of the FEV lions u16's have all signed for super league clubs but if FEV had an academy they would have all signed for FEV with their mates who haven't made super league the fear is those who haven't been signed have no where to go and may walk away from the game which is sad

12 hours ago, scotchy1 said:

They wouldnt always be a feeder club, the intention would be to build them to the level they enter SL 1 and a new expansion area takes their place in SL2.

It wouldnt be a matter of taking someones place, more 1 larger squad with 2 teams picked out of it.

So unless the likes of Featherstone, Halifax, Bradford agree to become feeder clubs they can’t join Superleague but WWR, Coventry and say London scholars if they become feeder clubs can join SL1 and then another side becomes a feeder club. At what point does this stop how many SL1 and SL2 sides will there be.

10 hours ago, Angelic Cynic said:

Some Championship clubs could NOT run reserve sides even though they had them for years.

https://www.totalrl.com/keighley-heartbroken-by-reserve-grade-rejection/

Sheffield Eagles were not allowed to continue their Academy a few years ago.

And quite rightly so ask Scotchy he will tell you it is not part if the plan to have any clubs below SL developing players, those clubs should be feeders to SL clubs that is the forward looking strategy.

57 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Reserves, not academy 

I understand that - but if the RFL end one, or the other - either Academy status or Reserves sides - then,with the player pathway,it is futile continuing with the other.

In the Sheffield Eagles case,the Academy was unable to continue - so the reserves side was dropped.

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/sheffield-eagles-was-my-life-says-devastated-teen-reserve-side-axed-65136

It will possibly change all over again post Covid19 and the financial constraints.

I was kinda hoping all the brains department would be planning the way ahead for all clubs post 2021,but it seems getting the sport played again has become the one and only priority....and a World Cup.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

38 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

A club like Fev can run an academy, as clubs like Fev do.

What they couldnt do is run an academy as they used to. The RFL categorized the academies and to qualify for the Cat 1 funding you have to reach a certain standard. You have to apply to reach that standard and you are evaluated. 

You don't have to be an SL club to gain that standard, Bradford, Widnes, London and Newcastle have it. You just have to apply. 

And you don't have to be an expansion club. Though it will break some of our resident Leigh fans hearts to admit the truth, that they could run an academy if they invested in that instead of Promotion, it is still the truth https://www.totalrl.com/beaumont-reveals-long-term-plans-reserve-academy-rugby-leigh/

what a load of rubbish FEV applied and were turned down for the reasons I stated but you just ignore them they applied well before categories for academy's came in which started six years ago 

catagories are 

1 outstanding

2 good

3 requires attention 

4 weak

from the    the four teams you mentioned only widnes have been and still  are cat 1  the other 3 have never been cat 1 london and newcatle are both good so cat 2 don't  know about bradford now but in 2017/18 they were cat 3 

Archived