Championship clubs still in deadlock

3 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

I think a lot of weight will be taken off this decision now with the expected cancellation of P/R.

The impetus to restart ASAP will be gone and we'll see teams go for a september/October/November set of fixtures with crowds.

You think so ?

Suddenly we're interfering with 2021 as well.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

• Replies 760
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 06/07/2020 at 12:51, Tommygilf said:

November doesn't interfere with 2021 hence why the SL clubs have gone for it.

It interferes with pre-season schedules.

44 minutes ago, Griff said:

The RFL said that the 2021 season wasn't going to start until mid-February to allow some breathing space, so it can be done.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

18 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

The RFL said that the 2021 season wasn't going to start until mid-February to allow some breathing space, so it can be done.

But what's the attraction ?

19 hours ago, Griff said:

As BSJ said there's supposedly going to be a delayed start of Super League in 2021 to accommodate for the lengthened 2020 campaign. Everything essentially shifts a few weeks and I expect the "time off" players normally get to be reduced significantly based on the 4 month mid season break.

Its not the end of the world for pre-season to be affected this year, there will still be around 3 months between most team's end of season 2020 and 2021 season opener.

1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

As BSJ said there's supposedly going to be a delayed start of Super League in 2021 to accommodate for the lengthened 2020 campaign. Everything essentially shifts a few weeks and I expect the "time off" players normally get to be reduced significantly based on the 4 month mid season break.

Its not the end of the world for pre-season to be affected this year, there will still be around 3 months between most team's end of season 2020 and 2021 season opener.

As I said to Johnny, what's the attraction of a half-assed competition ?

3 hours ago, Griff said:

But what's the attraction ?

You said that it would interfere with pre-season schedules, hence my response. Nowhere did I claim that it would, or wouldn't be attractive.

One point at a time please Griff.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

16 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

do we cancel the WC? or play it without England as same fixtures in shorter season equates to burned out squad

Just a thought instead of a post season tournament in nov have it as a pre season tournament in january

1 hour ago, POR said:

Just a thought instead of a post season tournament in nov have it as a pre season tournament in january

Or just play a truncated SL tournament finishing before the players contracts end , no Championship or L1 matches , but start the 2021 season on boxing Day allowing the season to be stretched out reducing player fatigue before the WC

The Governmentn is due to bring out guidance on the reopening of sports stadia this month. They are under pressure friom the FA , The EPL, RFU and England and Wales Cricket board to allow some spectators in before the end of August (EPL dueb to begin again on 11th September for 2020-21).

Surrey CCC have got a way around this through opening the bar at The Oval to allow patrons to watch the  Test match in the club bar. which raises the prospect of say London Broncos opening Trailfinders not as a sporting venue but as a Bar with a game of Rugby League going on in the background. If Trailfinders holds 5,000 then 10% of capacity would be 500 so social distancing would be achievable as it would in all of the championship / League 1 clubs.

As with Bojo declaring a cricket ball a "vecor of disease" it is ridiculous that you can go to the pub but you cannot go to a sporting venue - Especialy as its likely to be restricted to members only for the majority of the rest of 2020.

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

9 hours ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

If Trailfinders holds 5,000 then 10% of capacity would be 500 so social distancing would be achievable as it would in all of the championship / League 1 clubs.

What are the capacities of the following stadia?

Sheffield

Oldham

North Wales

West Wales

I have only seen these grounds on TV/online and they all look really small, I would imagine that 10% of capacity could limit these teams to crowds of less than 200, could these teams be really hurt by that restriction, especially as once you have crowds you need stewards and stadium staff.

51 minutes ago, Oldbear said:

What are the capacities of the following stadia?

Sheffield

Oldham

North Wales

West Wales

I have only seen these grounds on TV/online and they all look really small, I would imagine that 10% of capacity could limit these teams to crowds of less than 200, could these teams be really hurt by that restriction, especially as once you have crowds you need stewards and stadium staff.

Olympic Legacy Park, Sheffield, 2k 

Bower Fold, Stalybridge, 6.5k 

Queensway Stadium, Wrexham, 8.2k 

Stebonheath Park, Llanelli, 3.7k 

10 minutes ago, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

No way is the capacity of the Queensway stadium 8.5k, I'd reckon it's around 2000.

You wouldn't think so. But it has an extremely large standing perimeter, several sections of which have embankment for standing spectator depth. 

Sheffield would probably decamp to the Keepmoat because of the building works, increasing capacity to 15,231. 

Should be sufficient, I would've thought.

On 08/07/2020 at 12:27, Griff said:

As I said to Johnny, what's the attraction of a half-assed competition ?

Whats the attraction?  Im lost.  Are we not passionate on here or not?  Id watch Dewsbury if they were playing in the toy town lego cup.  I love rugby and I love my team. Its as simple as that.

43 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

What building works?

Ground was apparently broken in January... god knows what has happened since though, and for once neither the club or council can be blamed for any delay, which makes a change.

1 hour ago, RP London said:

Ground was apparently broken in January... god knows what has happened since though, and for once neither the club or council can be blamed for any delay, which makes a change.

I was being a touch... I remember that but I don't think anything has happened since that spade was stuck in the ground. The last statement I saw from Sheffield (a few weeks ago) was that work hadn't started and they were in discussions regarding the urgency of progress. There's also a rumour that one of the developers has pulled out of the project. 

1 hour ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

I was being a touch... I remember that but I don't think anything has happened since that spade was stuck in the ground. The last statement I saw from Sheffield (a few weeks ago) was that work hadn't started and they were in discussions regarding the urgency of progress. There's also a rumour that one of the developers has pulled out of the project. 

the last time i was there (feb), or across the road to be precise, there seemed to be a bit going on but that isnt to say they were doing much work. 

I have not heard that rumour though about someone pulling out. The weather at the beginning of the year and then Covid is not going to have helped a whole lot to be fair but equally it has been known to get stuck on personality issues since the very start.

Archived