Championship clubs still in deadlock

1 hour ago, POR said:

Featherstone Rovers Chairman Mark Campbell

It is disappointing then to read the statement from the RFL regarding the testing costs for each club would be in the region of £5,000 per week. I am confused and concerned as to where they have estimated these figures from, as we have researched our own costs which aren’t close to this figure.

Is that from a dodgy website in deepest Uzbekhistan ?

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

• Replies 760
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

See above Tommy, if any club can negotiate its own terms, don't knock it.

Thats fair enough. Be nice if they shared that with the rest of the competition they want to restart. This can't be an individual thing.

1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

Thats fair enough. Be nice if they shared that with the rest of the competition they want to restart. This can't be an individual thing.

No but it could be oversubscribed, may be a case of getting in first, as far as I know or have been informed around these parts there is a test facility at Haydock Park race course, positioned between Wigan, Saints, Warrington and Leigh.

2 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Featherstone have bought testing equipment, I know this for a fact. 

Have they engaged people who know how to use it ?

Just now, Harry Stottle said:

No but it could be oversubscribed, may be a case of getting in first, as far as I know or have been informed around these parts there is a test facility at Haydock Park race course, positioned between Wigan, Saints, Warrington and Leigh.

There's facilities all over. Some are private such as the one Super League are using - hence the cost. The Haydock park one you mention is one of the NHS drive-thru centres. Like I said in my original comment these are of course significantly cheaper but come with the questions over whether its right to use this for a professional competition.

3 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

You'd imagine it would need trained people to deliver the tests for insurance purposes.

5 minutes ago, Griff said:

Have they engaged people who know how to use it ?

I say testing equipment but it’s not the tests themselves, they’ve bought the temperature gun things. 

4 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

I say testing equipment but it’s not the tests themselves, they’ve bought the temperature gun things. 

Temperature guns aren't major testing equipment though are they. They're preliminary stuff (which all clubs in all sports have bought) but the actual testing (ie swabs) are what actually matters.

4 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Temperature guns aren't major testing equipment though are they. They're preliminary stuff (which all clubs in all sports have bought) but the actual testing (ie swabs) are what actually matters.

All clubs in all sports have bought, have they? 

5 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

All clubs in all sports have bought, have they? 

From what I've seen of the ones that have restarted, yes - it seems to be a must have preliminary test. Tend to be used before games and as players drive into the training ground - rhinos posted photos using them today.

21 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

So they haven't bought testing equipment at all, then.

34 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

These temperature guns were mostly used for babies and cost pennies.  They are not an accurate measure and would not be deemed professional ‘testing equipment’.

Just now, Lowdesert said:

These temperature guns were mostly used for babies and cost pennies.  They are not an accurate measure and would not be deemed professional ‘testing equipment’.

They’ve been used quite extensively across Europe from what I’ve seen and even in Australia, where NRL players have used them. They also don’t cost pennies. 

2 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Well, yes, they have. 

A few cheap thermometers won't tell you if you have Covid-19.

Don't believe everything you're told.  Be selective.

Just now, Hela Wigmen said:

They’ve been used quite extensively across Europe from what I’ve seen and even in Australia, where NRL players have used them. They also don’t cost pennies. 

They're not a covid test though are they.

52 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

There's facilities all over. Some are private such as the one Super League are using - hence the cost. The Haydock park one you mention is one of the NHS drive-thru centres. Like I said in my original comment these are of course significantly cheaper but come with the questions over whether its right to use this for a professional competition.

Why not use SPARE capacity at the testing centres.I pass one in Sheffield and at times very few cars are queing to use the facility.One centre packed up mid afternoon because of the lack of people booked in.

2 minutes ago, sentoffagain2 said:

Why not use SPARE capacity at the testing centres.I pass one in Sheffield and at times very few cars are queing to use the facility.One centre packed up mid afternoon because of the lack of people booked in.

That can't be relied upon though can it. If Kirklees gets a spike (which if you read some reports it has) then the local NHS testing facility will be much busier - as a professional competition the Championship should really be sorting out its own testing.

17 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

That can't be relied upon though can it. If Kirklees gets a spike (which if you read some reports it has) then the local NHS testing facility will be much busier - as a professional competition the Championship should really be sorting out its own testing.

If there is a significant 'spike' then its game over. Facts are all local testing points have spare capacity, so to do a localised deal whereby x times per week y people get tested isn't hard and I am sure the Government will want to support the BLUE WALL of RL heartlands

6 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

If there is a significant 'spike' then its game over. Facts are all local testing points have spare capacity, so to do a localised deal whereby x times per week y people get tested isn't hard and I am sure the Government will want to support the BLUE WALL of RL heartlands

Its not game over if you're independently testing as all other professional sporting organisations have done. 

If the Championship want to do it on the cheap, then they're at the mercy of the consequences of that decision.

31 minutes ago, sentoffagain2 said:

Why not use SPARE capacity at the testing centres.I pass one in Sheffield and at times very few cars are queuing to use the facility.One centre packed up mid afternoon because of the lack of people booked in.

Are they testing centres - or sample collecting centres ?

1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

Its not game over if you're independently testing as all other professional sporting organisations have done. 

If the Championship want to do it on the cheap, then they're at the mercy of the consequences of that decision.

If it's done on the cheap, the players won't play and then you've no game.

Archived