Championship clubs still in deadlock

Instead of assuming that everything will go according to plan, maybe the clubs should just sit back for a while and ponder on what happens if it doesn't.

What is someone tests positive ?  Is he out of the game ?  For how long ?  Two weeks minimum ?  Are the rest of the squad to be in self-isolation ?  Will this just apply to his own team or the team they just played as well ?  In which case, will next week's games be played or just awarded to the opponents  - or are they rearranged ?  Rearranged when ?  What if the players don't opt in ?   Why would they opt in ?  You might be able to social distance in the stadium but you can't do that on the field.  What if not enough players opt in to make up a team ?  Is the game off or do we play with whatever we've got ?  Five against twelve or whatever ?

Most importantly, how can you call this sort of shambles a meaningful competition ?

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

• Replies 760
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Thanks but just for clarity the question is very relevant to the discussion and still stands.

It is I suppose. 

DB's suggestions have been to bypass the vast majority of the Championship altogether (16 team SL for the rest of the year) and the promote 1 club from the results of an unspecified competition, or even by invitation (13 team SL going to 14 the year after).

He's now involved in a "working group" to find restart solutions with the whole championship. Unless that sticks square pegs in round holes regarding the costs particularly, by the 23rd of July the decision will be removed from them for this season.

3 hours ago, SL17 said:

I’ve been keeping the economy of the country going by working everyday as a key worker. You?

Exactly the same, worked through the whole thing, without calling other clubs unlucky enough to not have a sugar daddy "pub teams". Though I have no idea what that has to do with helping RL get back started etc. 

57 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

You are being a touch disingenuous here Harry: just because you want something to happen doesn't make it so.

The SL clubs made it abundantly clear that they could only consider promotion, if they were to consider it at all, from a properly competitive and meaningful competition. What you propose would fall far short of that, and you know it.

I hate to break it to you but you will be playing Championship football again in 2021.

I know the odds are well stacked against P&R resuming this season but as they say "it ain't over till the fat lady sings" so untill it is rubber stamped on the 23rd some of us can still live in hope. 

As for the last sentance, I honestly wouldn't mind that if on field matters dictated so, and ongoing past 2021 that will remain the case as long as P&R is still part of the curriculum, should it change to a lock in for SL clubs or a lock out for the Championship clubs whichever way it is worded, I fancy there will be a void on the terrace in my usual spot.

51 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

Yes

The latest U GOV question is ''If there was a covid vaccine available today would you take it?''

I'm guessing the answer to that is "no" because there'd be very limited supplies, none of which would be available to the public in general.

"I need it so that I can go to a rugby match" would be way down the list of priorities.

7 minutes ago, Griff said:

I'm guessing the answer to that is "no" because there'd be very limited supplies, none of which would be available to the public in general.

"I need it so that I can go to a rugby match" would be way down the list of priorities.

First batch  is 30 million I believe

25 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

First batch  is 30 million I believe

That would be before it has been tested for efficacy and, much more importantly, safety? I will let you join the first group Sweaty whilst I hang back with the faint-hearted.

Good luck.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

12 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

Try to be half full, but watch out for what I stated. All on furlough to get it first

😂

Here's where two positives combine to make a negative.

Yeah, right ...........

5 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

That potentially negates the cost of testing for Leigh, although it doesn't categorically state whether that would apply to the repeat testing that would be necessary or not over the course of any resumed season (presumably it would). However it doesn't provide financial means for the 14 clubs in the Championship to pay wages for their players and other staff or to pay the other associated costs that would come with a restarted campaign in the absence of paying crowds which appears to be the greatest stumbling block to any resumption.

5 minutes ago, wiganermike said:

That potentially negates the cost of testing for Leigh, although it doesn't categorically state whether that would apply to the repeat testing that would be necessary or not over the course of any resumed season (presumably it would). However it doesn't provide financial means for the 14 clubs in the Championship to pay wages for their players and other staff or to pay the other associated costs that would come with a restarted campaign in the absence of paying crowds which appears to be the greatest stumbling block to any resumption.

Let those that wish fight for promotion fight for it, let those that don't rest. TW don't take a share of the pot so a 13 club SL, 14 even better is reasonable

51 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

Let those that wish fight for promotion fight for it, let those that don't rest. TW don't take a share of the pot so a 13 club SL, 14 even better is reasonable

Those that wish to fight for promotion without paying crowds to fund it could amount to just 1 club, as there was not a majority in favour of resuming without crowds at most it would be 6 clubs out of 14. We are also missing the bit of information vital to such a proposition, the RFL approved minimum for what would constitute a competition from which promotion could be awarded. Until told otherwise we must assume it to be the status quo - 14 teams playing each other twice plus playoffs leading to a grand final (MPG).

5 hours ago, SL17 said:

Initiative doesn’t require a sugar daddy. It requires someone to think out of the box and not follow the norm.

Some are, some are not and some just can’t be bothered,

So what amazing thinking out the box things have you done during the lockdown to get Rugby league back playing?

6 hours ago, SL17 said:

Until told otherwise, P&R remain. 

End of.

If clubs cannot afford the competition then who’s fault is that. Hopefully next time around they don’t accept a payment of £300k to keep stum.

No one, no club, knew what was going to happen when they set their 2020 budgets. It's unfair to blame those who rely on gate receipts to take them away.

8 hours ago, wiganermike said:

- 14 teams playing each other twice plus playoffs leading to a grand final (MPG).

Hi Mike, on that respect the re-scheduled SL is 12 teams playing each other twice with play-offs leading to a GF for the 2020 Champion Team, if that is deemed a just and fair competition, then at the other end of the table the team finishing last should be relegated. 

3 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Hi Mike, on that respect the re-scheduled SL is 12 teams playing each other twice with play-offs leading to a GF for the 2020 Champion Team, if that is deemed a just and fair competition, then at the other end of the table the team finishing last should be relegated. 

It is going to be asterisked though isn't it H (my own club looks quite good to win it too). 

17 minutes ago, RigbyLuger said:

No one, no club, knew what was going to happen when they set their 2020 budgets. It's unfair to blame those who rely on gate receipts to take them away.

Thats quite correct Riggers, those Championship teams who consider it unviable to play without gate reciepts let them forfeit their fixtures with no reprimands or reprisals, those who want to play on to a meaningful conclusion let them also do so, win win all round.

2 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

It is going to be asterisked though isn't it H (my own club looks quite good to win it too). 

Yes, most probably so, but please tell me a fairer way in any league system than each team playing each other twice to sort out the best and worst of the division, or put another way those at the top and those at the bottom of the ladder. 

Archived