Championship clubs still in deadlock

1 hour ago, sweaty craiq said:

Leigh have raised £150k in pledges from sponsors to pay for testing and donated tens of thousands to charities dealing with the most vulnerable, what has your club done

Thats not what I asked.

• Replies 760
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

For entertainment purposes, no. However, if the only difference is the name of the team, e.g Hull KR struggling to deal with the heat becomes Featherstone struggling to deal with the heat, is that really good enough? Shouldn’t we be aiming for real change and a resolution of the issues teams face?

Quite, so should SL be reduced in number or throw a lot if money to those who are most needy.

Just now, Harry Stottle said:

Quite, so should SL be reduced in number or throw a lot if money to those who are most needy.

Super League probably hasn’t got the money to throw anywhere, let’s be honest. Neither has Rugby League as a whole. 

Should Super League be reduced in number? I’m not really sure what that achieves, if I’m honest. If the Super League clubs were to retain all/some/most of the money (which is likely, let’s be honest) from the demoted sides, the gap just gets bigger and bigger and I’m not sure what that achieves. 

8 minutes ago, SL17 said:

I’ve supported my club by sponsoring one player, one member of the coaching staff and the team doctor. I buy a season ticket which I use for a handful of games (due to work commitments) and that’s my way of keeping the game going.

It’s not all about lockdown.

Again, thats not what I asked. You are the one constantly berating people for not doing anything during the lockdown to get the game going again, so what have you done during the lockdown to get the game going again?

I`m going to have to remember to get in touch with Leigh fans when I next have to relocate a pitch, they are amazing at moving the goalposts....

15 minutes ago, dkw said:

I`m going to have to remember to get in touch with Leigh fans when I next have to relocate a pitch, they are amazing at moving the goalposts....

Without fear of contradiction dk, I would advise you to contact the Leeds fan with the Scottish connection he holds a blackbelt 10th dan level in diversion.

The idea of there being a Rugby League club run as a Bar with a game of Rugby League gong on in the background as a way of bringing back specators at Championship / Championship 1 Level just got a little bit closer. Read this article on how spectators may well return to County Cricket

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/29472271/counties-hopeful-fans-return-bob-willis-trophy

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

11 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Hi Mike, on that respect the re-scheduled SL is 12 teams playing each other twice with play-offs leading to a GF for the 2020 Champion Team, if that is deemed a just and fair competition, then at the other end of the table the team finishing last should be relegated. 

Actually Harry I think that it is deemed to be a contractual obligation, otherwise they wouldn't choose to play at all without spectators.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

9 hours ago, sweaty craiq said:

End of 2021 at the earliest according to experts. Clearly they don't read RL forums or they could be better informed.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

1 minute ago, Blind side johnny said:

Actually Harry I think that it is deemed to be a contractual obligation, otherwise they wouldn't choose to play at all without spectators.

Totally agree, not being a football fan, when this present football season finishes how long is the gap before the new season commences? 

Obviously to me that is, if there is no football to screen for a period then Sky will be reliant on Rugby League to fill the screens.

3 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Totally agree, not being a football fan, when this present football season finishes how long is the gap before the new season commences? 

Obviously to me that is, if there is no football to screen for a period then Sky will be reliant on Rugby League to fill the screens.

I believe the soccer season begins in August. As they carry much greater commercial weight than RL we can only hope that they are able to bring sufficient pressure on the government to allow a limited number of spectators into matches. If that succeeds then this would be a most welcome development from a Championship RL point of view.

1 hour ago, Blind side johnny said:

I believe the soccer season begins in August. As they carry much greater commercial weight than RL we can only hope that they are able to bring sufficient pressure on the government to allow a limited number of spectators into matches. If that succeeds then this would be a most welcome development from a Championship RL point of view.

No August start

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/premier-league-clubs-agree-date-22140207

11 hours ago, POR said:

I don't follow the game that closely but thought that EFL fixtures might start earlier.

2 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

I don't follow the game that closely but thought that EFL fixtures might start earlier.

EFL haven't made their minds up yet but have proposed two dates a first possible restart date  is August 29, Should that prove too soon,they  have a back-up date of September 12,  so in reality RL will be very popular with sky all through August 🤣

5 hours ago, weighman said:

No crowds until October at the earliest , that should be it for C & C1 for 2020.  

Players contracts is 1 issue .

There's talk of the parachute payment going to the Championship & L1 if there's no promotion this year. £500K prize money would make some sort of competition worthwhile? It should really go to the GF winners as compensation, but I doubt the clubs would vote for that, they'd want some sort of divvy up?

If fans are allowed in October, could this work? Season runs October to end Dec (allowing some good revenue from Christmas games), no relegation from SL, but Championship and L1 winners promoted, giving 13 team SL for 2021, no one relegated that year either and a 14 team SL for 2022. Before anyone asks about Magic with a 13 team league, don’t hold it in 2021, allowing the league to finish a week earlier for WC preparation. Or am I too simple?

22 minutes ago, kev p said:

as no crowds till october, championship & league 1 clubs must make a decision now, surely! 

It is the RFL Board that will make the decision, they have already had their feedback from the clubs to aid that decision making process. If crowds can't return until October I would expect the best the 25 clubs can hope for is a mini competition(s) for some prize money and to bring in a bit of gate money.

Archived