Championship clubs still in deadlock

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

• Replies 760
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Fully understand both sides of the argument , not criticising either side 

Yep. Completely different agendas which are justifiable from the individual clubs' viewpoints but ultimately contradictory.
I don't envy the RFL in making a call on this and truly hope that there won't be any clubs threatening legal action because of the outcome.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Some clubs want to play because they've laid out big time in a quest for promotion, while those that haven't probably wouldn't get the income to make ends meet, and those that feel they may be fighting to avoid relegation won't want to play at all costs. Why not just have a mini league for those that want to play on? Assuming it would only be promotion candidates it could prove attractive for pay-per-view in the interim before crowds are allowed back? The only bugbear would be what to do about relegation from the Championship if League 1 played on with qualification for promotion?

25 minutes ago, Steve Slater said:

Some clubs want to play because they've laid out big time in a quest for promotion, while those that haven't probably wouldn't get the income to make ends meet, and those that feel they may be fighting to avoid relegation won't want to play at all costs. Why not just have a mini league for those that want to play on? Assuming it would only be promotion candidates it could prove attractive for pay-per-view in the interim before crowds are allowed back? The only bugbear would be what to do about relegation from the Championship if League 1 played on with qualification for promotion?

A mini league with promotion ?

Pub teams with no ambition, dependent on TV money and getting things done on the cheap bt amateur volunteers. All of which is fantastic until pitted against ambition.

Cast the Luddites adrift into a world they understand and find a home for the ones who want to grow and have a fan base to support it

3 minutes ago, Robthegasman said:

An absolute farce and joke.

And then clubs wonder why the game is on its ass when they cannot make a decision.

I doubt it is something that is simple , not really the RFLs fault we've had a pandemic 

I’d love the game, Super League, Championship and League One, to have an administrator(s) with a bit of backbone and enough power to listen to all arguments across all levels and make a decision. What we have now is everyone, understandably voting with self-interest. 

1 minute ago, GUBRATS said:

So why play to lose money ?

To me, the integrity of the lower leagues is gone if we do this.

I understand the positions of certain clubs and the ‘frustration’ that they may not play and possibly be in with a chance of the play-off’s (which given the strength of the Championship isn’t black and white) but it’s just not the Championship and I’m not in favour of a side earning promotion over what is likely to be a very, very short season (Leigh, Newcastle and Fev are the loudest at the minute) and maybe another 2-3 more but even at its lengthiest, you could be looking at as few as 10 “league” games and another game or two to earn promotion, while you could then see relegation enforced on a Super League team who are going to play 22 games in 14 weeks.

I know you could scrap relegation but let’s be honest, that’s highly unlikely. Thirteen teams sees Magic Weekend scrapped, unless you can convince the Australians to come over and play the World Club Championship as part of the Magic Weekend but that requires a load of work and I’m not sure it would be agreed by the Australians to come in May or to get a Premier League Football Club to let us play seven games on their pitch as it starts to come to the business end of the football season in February/March time. A fourteen team league is even unlikelier unless two Championship teams are going to play next season with no television money, which then ruins the integrity of Super League, IMO (yes, I know Toronto but that’s no better). 

I also don’t feel comfortable with the possibility of Newcastle playing in this either and jumping up a league without earning it on the field first. 

1 hour ago, sweaty craiq said:

Pub teams with no ambition, dependent on TV money and getting things done on the cheap bt amateur volunteers. All of which is fantastic until pitted against ambition.

Cast the Luddites adrift into a world they understand and find a home for the ones who want to grow and have a fan base to support it

So how would you deal with that then?

The fact is that the vast majority of clubs in both the Championship and Championship 1 divisions simply cannot afford to resume the season due to the costs that they have to face. And with no gate money.

And any sensible chairman in this position would not risk his club financially in order to play again.

Now whilst the language used by a poster here is very brutal,it does show the inequality of rugby league outside of Super League.

But how do you deal with that?Do you say kick them out immediately if they cannot afford to play?

Do you withdraw their central funding?

Have we arrived at the watershed moment a year early because of this situation?

Where do we therefore go from here?

The problem most of the lower tiers have is they have no fans, poor facilities, no sponsors and await the fuse blowing on the life support. Thats why there is no interest in tv coverage, especially if the “potentials” are removed. Widnes Bradford and Leigh have shown they can pull a gate, Newcastle and Fev are up for it and we must expand the sport. The solution is obvious to anyone who understands how to grow a business

I'd suggest letting those that want to play, all in one division , and those that don't want to don't. 

In 2021, the Championship is made up of those that played in 2020, plus the highest ranked of the remaining teams based on 2019 positions. The rest make up league 1.

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

10 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Yes and relegation also.

As I posted above:

To me, the integrity of the lower leagues is gone if we do this.

I understand the positions of certain clubs and the ‘frustration’ that they may not play and possibly be in with a chance of the play-off’s (which given the strength of the Championship isn’t black and white) but it’s just not the Championship and I’m not in favour of a side earning promotion over what is likely to be a very, very short season (Leigh, Newcastle and Fev are the loudest at the minute) and maybe another 2-3 more but even at its lengthiest, you could be looking at as few as 10 “league” games and another game or two to earn promotion, while you could then see relegation enforced on a Super League team who are going to play 22 games in 14 weeks.

I know you could scrap relegation but let’s be honest, that’s highly unlikely. Thirteen teams sees Magic Weekend scrapped, unless you can convince the Australians to come over and play the World Club Championship as part of the Magic Weekend but that requires a load of work and I’m not sure it would be agreed by the Australians to come in May or to get a Premier League Football Club to let us play seven games on their pitch as it starts to come to the business end of the football season in February/March time. A fourteen team league is even unlikelier unless two Championship teams are going to play next season with no television money, which then ruins the integrity of Super League, IMO (yes, I know Toronto but that’s no better). 

I also don’t feel comfortable with the possibility of Newcastle playing in this either and jumping up a league without earning it on the field first.

Archived