Watershed?

I note that the Championship and Championship 1 clubs have not yet made a decision on whether or not to resume this season.

And it seems that for various reasons some clubs want to resume as they have promotion on their mind and others simply cannot afford to resume without the gate money etc etc.

We all know what is coming come the end of 2021 with the probability of no central funding for clubs outside the Super League as the divisions currently stand.

My question is bearing in mind what we are seeing now and what is likely to come,have we reached the watershed moment a year earlier than we anticipated?

10 minutes ago, Robthegasman said:

I note that the Championship and Championship 1 clubs have not yet made a decision on whether or not to resume this season.

And it seems that for various reasons some clubs want to resume as they have promotion on their mind and others simply cannot afford to resume without the gate money etc etc.

We all know what is coming come the end of 2021 with the probability of no central funding for clubs outside the Super League as the divisions currently stand.

My question is bearing in mind what we are seeing now and what is likely to come,have we reached the watershed moment a year earlier than we anticipated?

Is it the time of the month for you to post baseless banal posts about predicting impending doom again already? 

23 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

It’s a fork in the road moment.

I think licensing may come back to Super League and the ‘RFL Championship’ could go its own way. The clues are there. 

Never heard the phrase Fork in the Road moment.

I don’t think you are going to be too far off the truth there. I think licensing will return to the Super League.I am not sure how many clubs that division will end up being. I personally think it will be 8 or 10 a Super League Elite Division.

I think there will probably be an RFL Championship.I would not be surprised if it is franchised/licenced.

A lot I think will depend on what money there is for a TV deal.

I do think the days of 37 clubs are numbered.

I have just renewed my licence for the year. I heard that the 8 franchise teams are Hunslet, Hull KR, Wakefield, Toronto, Catalans, Hull FC, Huddersfield and  Reykjavik Ravens that's all that's allowed with a 25 year TV deal with Icelandic TV Channel RUV1. 

However on a serious note Icelandic TV channel is real and a second note yes we will seem some teams struggle both pre new TV and after TV deal however its like anything you have to adapt to the changing times no doubt Super League will go with Sky sports as their exclusive TV provider and if franchising comes in and York aren't included will that stop me going watching them no because I am a fan of York. Other serious options to explore apart from adverts on a YouTube/Ourleague app are a streaming service, Amazon Prime streams regular Tennis and has some soccer matches. There are over 6 million subscribers to that service (not saying everyone would watch obviously) however if you could get a deal on their channels they have a RFL channel would be a add on I would definitely watch. 

5 hours ago, SL17 said:

Yet you think the sport carries 8 to 10 elite Super League clubs.

Name them.

OK I think the Super League”Elite”division will be(and I think licenced/franchised)

Wigan

Warrington

St Helens

Leeds

Hull FC

Catalans

Toronto 

Toulouse

London(As no doubt SL will want a team in the capital)

Huddersfield(Being the birthplace of rugby league)

I could of course be completely wrong with those clubs I have suggested but I do feel that a franchising and licence system is coming.
And I am absolutely certain that the first three  clubs I have mentioned even though they are all close to one another,they are in very strong rugby league territory and are fairly strong financially.

9 hours ago, Robthegasman said:

OK I think the Super League”Elite”division will be(and I think licenced/franchised)

Wigan

Warrington

St Helens

Leeds

Hull FC

Catalans

Toronto 

Toulouse

London(As no doubt SL will want a team in the capital)

Huddersfield(Being the birthplace of rugby league)

I could of course be completely wrong with those clubs I have suggested but I do feel that a franchising and licence system is coming.
And I am absolutely certain that the first three  clubs I have mentioned even though they are all close to one another,they are in very strong rugby league territory and are fairly strong financially.

I’d hate to see a closed shop SL and the end of P&R, but if it did happen as you suggest with ten teams the first five would be shoe in, six and seven fairly obvious candidates but I don’t know why you’d have London or Toulouse in other than because they’re big places, and Huddersfield while a candidate aren’t as big as Cas or Bradford, or even HKR or Widnes. 

42 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I’d have to see a closed shop SL and the end of P&R, but if it did happen as you suggest with ten teams the first five would be shoe in, six and seven fairly obvious candidates but I don’t know why you’d have London or Toulouse in other than because they’re big places, and Huddersfield while a candidate aren’t as big as Cas or Bradford, or even HKR or Widnes. 

The reason why I suggest that they would(personally not saying they should)is purely down to geography and the size of London especially.

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

I’d have to see a closed shop SL and the end of P&R, but if it did happen as you suggest with ten teams the first five would be shoe in, six and seven fairly obvious candidates but I don’t know why you’d have London or Toulouse in other than because they’re big places, and Huddersfield while a candidate aren’t as big as Cas or Bradford, or even HKR or Widnes. 

Some still think the day will come when London will be getting 10 - 20k attendances.

4 hours ago, Gooleboy said:

Some still think the day will come when London will be getting 10 - 20k attendances.

We used to get 10k attendances. Not at Ealing we wouldn't in future though.

There is plenty of interest for a successful London RL team. Just need to finally get that "successful" part right.

5 hours ago, Eddie said:

I’d hate to see a closed shop SL and the end of P&R, but if it did happen as you suggest with ten teams the first five would be shoe in, six and seven fairly obvious candidates but I don’t know why you’d have London or Toulouse in other than because they’re big places, and Huddersfield while a candidate aren’t as big as Cas or Bradford, or even HKR or Widnes. 

Toulouse have agreed to play at the union stadium and have proved they can draw big crowds. They also expand the player pool.

London have a big backer look good commercially and expand the player pool. Attendance isn't an issue if someone guarantees SC max.

Huddersfield is the odd one out and Bradford is a bigger club but are not stable. 

Hull KR would be a strong candidate as they have a financial backer and have the big derby rivalry which is a big draw to the game.

I can see a 14 team league with Toronto, Catalan and Toulouse. And I bet with a potential funding drop there will be a few angry that the income from the French games and bargaining chip for sky to pick up the feed has gone due to greed. Elstone needs to realise it's not soccer and does not have anyone over a barrel in regards to TV rights.

2 minutes ago, yipyee said:

Toulouse have agreed to play at the union stadium and have proved they can draw big crowds. They also expand the player pool.

What big crowds? They get about 2,000, they’re no bigger than Halifax or York. 

8 minutes ago, Eddie said:

What big crowds? They get about 2,000, they’re no bigger than Halifax or York. 

2000 in the championship at a small stadium outside of town.. not bad that and over 6000 when they played Toronto at the big stadium.

IMO they should have been in over Paris and then before Catalan but the powers that be knew Catalan could only grow to a certain size.

Catalan are one of the most profitable and sustainable clubs in the league and no one ever has them marked down as such.

Archived