We're BACK!

Effectively a mini Magic Weekend to kick off with the games at 1, 4.15 and 6.30. Sounds good. 

I’d love to see as many games televised as physically possible as there’s likely to be a lull in live sport by then as football will have ended and I’m not sure on any returns for other sports. 

Just now, Mr Plow said:

Wonder what 2021 will look like? 22 rounds again or will they want 29 with midweek games?

Not sure, clearly the intention is to start later than the first weekend of Feb, but other than that who knows. I'd imagine there would be a few midweek games.

I'd doubt the RFL will be too keen on lots of midweek rounds next year with the WC to come so I imagine it would be 23 rounds including MW in 2021.

With the stated full round on 8th/9th I assume that means that those clubs with more than one game to catch up will play them later? They may need an early cup exit to fit those in.

No specific GF date yet seems a little puzzling. Issue with securing a venue?

8 minutes ago, wiganermike said:

I'd doubt the RFL will be too keen on lots of midweek rounds next year with the WC to come so I imagine it would be 23 rounds including MW in 2021.

With the stated full round on 8th/9th I assume that means that those clubs with more than one game to catch up will play them later? They may need an early cup exit to fit those in.

No specific GF date yet seems a little puzzling. Issue with securing a venue?

I reckon they might be waiting on government guidance. If we still cant have crowds in then I highly doubt the GF will be at OT. Probably waiting to see what the situation is before booking anything.

1 minute ago, MZH said:

I reckon they might be waiting on government guidance. If we still cant have crowds in then I highly doubt the GF will be at OT. Probably waiting to see what the situation is before booking anything.

Makes sense. No point spending lots for an empty venue and hard to sell a final at an uncertain venue.

38 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

If they’re pushing back the start of 2021, surely common sense would indicate that we play fewer than the planned 28/29 games ahead of a home World Cup. 

From a rugby perspective it makes sense. From a financial perspective, clubs already had to pay £280k each back to Sky for a shortened season this year, I doubt they can afford to do it again. 

Plus, do we really want to mess Sky around during the contract renegotiation year? World Cup is of course important. New TV deal is even more so. 

Just now, Toby Chopra said:

From a rugby perspective it makes sense. From a financial perspective, clubs already had to pay £280k each back to Sky for a shortened season this year, I doubt they can afford to do it again. 

Plus, do we really want to mess Sky around during the contract renegotiation year? World Cup is of course important. New TV deal is even more so. 

Have a few double headers and the like to fill the quota of televised games. The contract will be x games, not x weeks of games. 

56 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

If they’re pushing back the start of 2021, surely common sense would indicate that we play fewer than the planned 28/29 games ahead of a home World Cup. 

Good luck with that common sense.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

Not sure, clearly the intention is to start later than the first weekend of Feb, but other than that who knows. I'd imagine there would be a few midweek games.

Does it become easier or harder to run a season that starts later if you increase the number of teams in the division? A 14 team division playing 26 rounds becomes quite desirable.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Archived