Restart

clifford

Agreed, it remains to be seen what the attendances are across the game when the season does restart. After this amount of time that's passed some may be a little anxious about attending games. Only time will tell. This could well be disastrous for the club and others will probably be in the same boat. Having said all that, I don't think social distancing will too much of an issue. The crowds were on the slide anyway. 

Whatever happened to the £16 million given to the sport so as  to offset the loss of revenue?

I am also acutely worried about the restart. Our crowds were abysmally poor before the lockdown and those who did suffer the games this season could have found better ways of spending their time and money. I hope I am wrong.

The majority of the league can’t afford the testing to get it going again.

However, 3 or 4 clubs have invested in their squads in the hope of promotion to Super League, and want a restart.

My prediction is the RFL will draw it out so long it’ll be too late to restart, and promotion/relegation will be dropped for this year.

To be honest though, I’m glad it’s not me making the call.

I daresay we are desperate not to restart. We will have significantly fewer overheads than most other clubs in our division and presumably have offset some costs through government assistance and rental negotiations. No doubt all professional clubs are lobbying for a share of the £16 million, but in many cases this will be good money after bad. Oldham may turn out to be relatively less poor after the dust settles.

On 29/06/2020 at 10:54, Bert Street said:

I daresay we are desperate not to restart. We will have significantly fewer overheads than most other clubs in our division and presumably have offset some costs through government assistance and rental negotiations. No doubt all professional clubs are lobbying for a share of the £16 million, but in many cases this will be good money after bad. Oldham may turn out to be relatively less poor after the dust settles.

It's a loan, not free money, and several clubs have already said they will not be applying for any of it.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived