GB Tour 1988

Looking through the tour itinerary, Garry Schofield, Andy Platt and Mike Gregory all captained the team in Hanley's absence so no clue there either.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

I was thinking about this the other day, it was the first test that I had been to and we were behind the goal posts at the Paddington end. Three things stick in my memory , the atmosphere was electric, everytime Hanley got the ball you thought something was going to happen, he was a hell of a player and best of all a scrum erupted into a brawl and I remember  Aussie fullback Gary Jack actually running past the brawl 50 metres  upfield to get it on with the Pommy fullback. Only in Rugby League.

27 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I agree he was better at 13 but he played a fair bit at 6 from memory 

Aye, but predominantly put there along with Andy Farrell by so called knowledgeable GB coaches who wanted to tighten up the defence when guy's like Tommy Martyn and Lee Briers should have lead the offence.

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

Aye, but predominantly put there along with Andy Farrell by so called knowledgeable GB coaches who wanted to tighten up the defence when guy's like Tommy Martyn and Lee Briers should have lead the offence.

That interview with Briers the other day was interesting. If he'd have had a decent work ethic to fitness what could he have been. Wonder if the fact he was relatively lazy fitness wise was the reason he didn't feature much internationally 

50 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

That interview with Briers the other day was interesting. If he'd have had a decent work ethic to fitness what could he have been. Wonder if the fact he was relatively lazy fitness wise was the reason he didn't feature much internationally 

That and Bobby Goulding, Sean Long and Paul Deacon.

5 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Great player though and as sent off said respected by his team mates, the last really international class No 6 GB/England had.

Tony Myler is the last no6 for me

This thread has just inspired me to go and watch the highlights of the 3rd test in '88 for about the 1000th time.

But something I never noticed before is that after Phil Ford scores Great Britain's second try the legendary Jack Gibson in commentary says "I credit Eric… what's his name, Hanley!"

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

44 minutes ago, Gooleboy said:

Sculthorpe was a top Loose Forward, not a Stand Off, same as Farrell and Sinfield. One of the reasons we couldn't beat the Australians was not playing a natural Stand Off.

We even had Phil Clarke picked at Stand Off in a test against Australia too.

17 hours ago, Damien said:

We even had Phil Clarke picked at Stand Off in a test against Australia too.

Yep an Ashes decider ? With Ellery Hanley himself (only 33 and still playing) sat in the stands coaching. 

2 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Yep an Ashes decider ? With Ellery Hanley himself (only 33 and still playing) sat in the stands coaching. 

I've watched the 1994 (especially 1st) tests a few times and when I see Hanley and Meninga walking out at Wembley (Hanley in a suit this time), it reminds me of 1990 when they did the same but both as captains.

I assume Hanley had retired from international duty by 1994, or was it that he just didn't want to pick himself?

5 minutes ago, 17 stone giant said:

I've watched the 1994 (especially 1st) tests a few times and when I see Hanley and Meninga walking out at Wembley (Hanley in a suit this time), it reminds me of 1990 when they did the same but both as captains.

I assume Hanley had retired from international duty by 1994, or was it that he just didn't want to pick himself?

I get the not picking himself at Wembley as we had a few options and Jonathan Davies at full back. By the third test we had injuries and were running out of options.  Coach Hanley had an opportunity for a real Roy of the Rovers moment there that would have potentially immortalised him. He is still a legend of course but that could have been a legacy defining day. He was still killing it for Leeds at the time, even if it was mostly at 13.

2 minutes ago, Scubby said:

I get the not picking himself at Wembley as we had a few options and Jonathan Davies at full back. By the third test we had injuries and were running out of options.  Coach Hanley had an opportunity for a real Roy of the Rovers moment there that would have potentially immortalised him. He is still a legend of course but that could have been a legacy defining day. He was still killing it for Leeds at the time, even if it was mostly at 13.

What about the World Cup in 1995? Did he not put his name forward to play, or was he not selected? I can't remember who the England coach was for that tournament.

Archived