Alternative careers of players

1 hour ago, iangidds said:

Is Stuart Evans the worst cross code player ?

Saints under Murphy had some terrible signings from RU back then. Mike Carrington on the wing at about the same time was a passenger in pretty much every game he played. 

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, WSRD said:

Peter Smethurst of Swinton & others was a window cleaner whilst still playing and the bought a butchers shop in Roe Green Worsley.

I recall Peter Norburn was a master window cleaner. 

20 minutes ago, Robthegasman said:

One of the Swinton Lions players is a Nurse.

Nathan Graham is an NHS worker as well; he's been on Covid duty.

https://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/sport/18453977.ex-bradford-star-keighley-coach-bri-covid-19-ward/

John Hamer was a policeman ... I think it included a stint in the armed response unit

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

30 minutes ago, JonM said:

Saints under Murphy had some terrible signings from RU back then. Mike Carrington on the wing at about the same time was a passenger in pretty much every game he played. 

I remember Murphy saying that Rugby League clubs should sign Will Carling and Jeremy Guscott before union turned honest. Carling might have made it at club level, but Guscott wouldn't have survived a season.

16 hours ago, JonM said:

As a kid, I was always amused that Leigh's star man in their 1981/82 first division win, John Woods, was a rat-catcher.

Ian Lucas, the Wigan prop/antique dealer was another unusual one.

Jon Wells runs a B&B in Harrogate.

Any idea which one?  Could be fun to stay there when I get back to those parts on holiday.

12 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

No, but in a similar vein Cory Paterson (ex Salford, Leigh, Toronto) has a coffee shop in Astley near Leigh.

Amazing; Astley must have come up a bit in the world, which is good news.  I cannot imagine its having a coffee shop when I lived there!

4 minutes ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

Any idea which one?  Could be fun to stay there when I get back to those parts on holiday.

Google says that he's sold it on and now owns a gym in Harrogate (I guess a reasonable number of current and ex- RL players own gyms these days.)

19 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Past or present

I know Brian Noble was a policeman when the game was semi-pro? 

Isn't there a current Halifax player who makes cakes in his shop? 

Anyone got any other good ones? 

A large proportion of the '82 Aussie tourists seemed to be "Garbologists" ("Garbo's" in Oz speak).

If I recall correctly Ian Bishop left Warrington and retired because he had secured a well-paid job as a fork-lift driver in Australia.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Steve Brierley of Carlisle who checked my ticket whilst working as a guard on the Carlisle-Newcastle train in the early 90s.

My celeb spotting has never been great, really.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

10 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Does this still happen? 

Buckets are still very commonplace in Halifax, I hear.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

2 hours ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

Amazing; Astley must have come up a bit in the world, which is good news.  I cannot imagine its having a coffee shop when I lived there!

Ignore the estate at Princes Ave and they fancy themselves as a bit of an extension to Worsley I think. 

2 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Ignore the estate at Princes Ave and they fancy themselves as a bit of an extension to Worsley I think. 

Mind you, I was there from 1963 to 1965, so things have had time to change!

18 hours ago, JonM said:

And Leeds & Hull winger Wilf Rosenberg was known as the Flying Dentist (for obvious reasons), as well as being one of two rugby league players in the International Jewish Sports Hall of Fame.

Who is the other, JonM?

18 hours ago, POR said:

Back in the day all of FEV worked darn pit with me  ?️

Recently rewatched the 1983 CC Final which Featherstone played in. Commentary said that 10 of the lads worked in the pit. I don't know if that was a bit of "oop Norf" romanticism or if it was true.

19 hours ago, JonM said:

Mal Meninga was in the Police too, of course (and Wayne Bennett was a police constable).

Glenn Lazarus became a senator after his RL career.

Also, ex ref - Bill Harrigan was a police marksman I believe 

Archived