Alternative careers of players

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, The Future is League said:

I find it disappointing that so few players don't go on to careers as Accountants and Solicitors. Look our well some people do world wide from backgrounds in Accountancy and the law.

Good point

Former Kangaroo John Grant went on to head IT company DATA3 for 20 years. DATA3 has revenue of over $1 billion.

After that he moved on to being the executive director and chairman of FirstWave Cloud Technology.

He’s also a former ARL commissioner 

On 27/06/2020 at 22:07, The Future is League said:

I find it disappointing that so few players don't go on to careers as Accountants and Solicitors. Look our well some people do world wide from backgrounds in Accountancy and the law.

Martin Aspinwall has just retired from Barrow and has a job in a local accountants, they helped him through his training while he played for us over the past 3 seasons.

Brett McDermott worked locally as a coalman for his dad's coal business, and still does, for those of you who watch MMA you can see Brett 'The Spartan' on Youtube,  just last year he picked up a world title and a few quid.

If you are old enough to remember Eddie Szymala, another local hero, worked as a nursery nurse. ?

On 27/06/2020 at 22:07, The Future is League said:

Ryan Hall is qualifying as an accountant I think? 

5 minutes ago, DavidM said:

He’d be more use to the Roosters doing that 

After that missed tackle on the wing I felt so sorry for him. Out of his depth and low on confidence. I say missed tackle - he was so out of position it could hardly count as a missed tackle 

Might sound bizarre but his hit ups in the middle when he's taking some work on look better than his wing work

He's also big enough to be a second rower.... Food for thought 

1 minute ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Might sound bizarre but his hit ups in the middle when he's taking some work on look better than his wing work

A lot of the time this is basically all he’s doing 

1 hour ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

What wing work?  He is playing on the wing outside Manu and Crighton and I honestly can't remember him receiving a pass from his center since he arrived in the NRL. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

On 28/06/2020 at 07:07, The Future is League said:

Mike Eden  Manly and  Roosters fullback in the eighties is a practising solicitor in Wagga. South Sydney had a doctor who played hooker in the eighties.  Dr Nathan Gibbs.

9 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

What wing work?  He is playing on the wing outside Manu and Crighton and I honestly can't remember him receiving a pass from his center since he arrived in the NRL. 

I agree but his defence on the wing has not been good

When he channels the middle though makes good metres 

10 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I agree but his defence on the wing has not been good

When he channels the middle though makes good metres 

Agree on both these points.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Brian Carney Presents GAA Sports on SKY as well as RL. We shall never know if he completed his legal studies his reason for leaving Gold Coast Titans or whether it was cover for joining Munster RU.

Jon Wells, entrepreneur extraordinaire, Is legally qualified and has his own linked in entry

https://uk.linkedin.com/in/jon-wells-0600b221

Before returning to his Native New Zealand around 2010,  Graeme West was a Taxi Driver in Wigan

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

5 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Ryan Hall is qualifying as an accountant I think? 

4 hours ago, The Rocket said:

Mike Eden  Manly and  Roosters fullback in the eighties is a practising solicitor in Wagga. South Sydney had a doctor who played hooker in the eighties.  Dr Nathan Gibbs.

7 hours ago, SJD said:

Martin Aspinwall has just retired from Barrow and has a job in a local accountants, they helped him through his training while he played for us over the past 3 seasons.

Brett McDermott worked locally as a coalman for his dad's coal business, and still does, for those of you who watch MMA you can see Brett 'The Spartan' on Youtube,  just last year he picked up a world title and a few quid.

If you are old enough to remember Eddie Szymala, another local hero, worked as a nursery nurse. ?

It would be nice if we had more ex players as accountants and Solicitors as have appear to have influence on many things in many walks of life.

ADY SPENCER London Broncos Vice President of a Chemical company in Texas

IAIN HIGGINS London Broncos Solicitor 

BOTH Ex Cambridge RL blues 

Ady played over 50 matches for London Broncos 

Super guys as well (Iain also played for Hunslet as a lawyer in Leeds) 

Paul

3 hours ago, The Future is League said:

Who remembers mad prop Danny Gardner for Wigan ?     An accountant by trade …….

Or that other prop for Saints  Adam Fogerty        now a Hollywood actor ?

It would be nice if we had more ex players as accountants and Solicitors as have appear to have influence on many things in many walks of life.

Geoff Toovey Manly and Australian halfback is an accountant. Jason King Manly prop forward was at university studying law when he debuted for Manly some years ago. Does some work for the NRL now.

I remember a few years ago when one of my daughters had a hospital appointment in North London. The anaesthetist asked her which football team she supported. She replied we don't follow football, we follow rugby league. To which he replied, which team do you support? She said Warrington and he said "I got my nose broken playing your team!" He referenced Les Boyd and Les Davidson. I didn't get his name, but he told us he played hooker for Halifax.

The Greatest Game -

Archived