Alternative careers of players

On 27/06/2020 at 19:37, WSRD said:

Peter Smethurst of Swinton & others was a window cleaner whilst still playing and the bought a butchers shop in Roe Green Worsley.

He had to be carefull chopping the meat because he only had one eye.Not a bad player in his day for Leigh and Swinton centre  and graduated to second row.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 29/06/2020 at 22:56, The Rocket said:

Mike Eden  Manly and  Roosters fullback in the eighties is a practising solicitor in Wagga. South Sydney had a doctor who played hooker in the eighties.  Dr Nathan Gibbs.

He was a second rower. The hooker was Ken stewart who was an accountant.

Cronulla had a doctor who was doctor for the Wallabies for a number of years, Martin Raftery. Also ex Australian captain, 1979-80, George Peponis was also a doctor.

Not forgetting the great Eddie Rombo, of course, who played RL for Leeds, Dewsbudy and Fev whilst studying for a law degree at Leeds University. He returned to Kenya to become an eminent lawyer, a coach of the Kenya RU 7's and is now the manager of the Kenya RL side.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

On 30/06/2020 at 23:23, Blithbury Wire said:

I remember a few years ago when one of my daughters had a hospital appointment in North London. The anaesthetist asked her which football team she supported. She replied we don't follow football, we follow rugby league. To which he replied, which team do you support? She said Warrington and he said "I got my nose broken playing your team!" He referenced Les Boyd and Les Davidson. I didn't get his name, but he told us he played hooker for Halifax.

There is a Doctor in the town I live and he coaches some of the local junior teams, story goes he played in England , I don`t know any details but his surname is Wesley and it must have between 20 to 30 years ago. By the way I think he may be a pediatrician.

On 27/06/2020 at 19:40, Damien said:

Ged Bryne was a window cleaner too.

Ged always insisted in the program notes that he was a Visual Technician.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Steve Hampson was a drayman when he signed for Wigan after playing he became a personal trainer his best known client being Darren Clarke, he's also a big pal of Lee Westwood who goes to Wigan games with him occasionally.

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

In the Wigan area we have 3 new pubs to visit post lockdown,  all three are real/craft ale pubs that are spread around at Orrell, Ashton and WIgan Town Centre. Unfortunately 2 have said they are not re-opening at all.

I was at St.Judes rugby club yesterday, just before they opened, to do a little job for them. I declined the offer of a pint of Boddingtons as I want my first pint in licensed premises following lockdown to be a really good pint of real ale. This probably won't happen until tomorrow after work.

Got reports last night of trouble at a couple of pubs around town, quite a few have skipped the weekend and will be opening through the week.

2 hours ago, Padge said:

In the Wigan area we have 3 new pubs to visit post lockdown,  all three are real/craft ale pubs that are spread around at Orrell, Ashton and WIgan Town Centre. Unfortunately 2 have said they are not re-opening at all.

I was at St.Judes rugby club yesterday, just before they opened, to do a little job for them. I declined the offer of a pint of Boddingtons as I want my first pint in licensed premises following lockdown to be a really good pint of real ale. This probably won't happen until tomorrow after work.

Got reports last night of trouble at a couple of pubs around town, quite a few have skipped the weekend and will be opening through the week.

Is this your alternative career, Padge?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

1 hour ago, Blind side johnny said:

Is this your alternative career, Padge?

Yeah I'm going to have a career of posting on the wrong thread to create chaos. 😂

Archived