Victorian Engineering Structures

The Millau Viaduct is without doubt a breathtaking structure.  But 80 miles to the north, just off the same road is in my opinion an equally magnificent structure.  Designed by Eiffel, (he of the tower) and erected between 1881 and 1884 is the impressive  Viaduc Garabit.  Built in the middle of nowhere over the Lot Gorge, with a lattice structure to allow for the strong winds that blow in that area (it's windfarm cenrtal)

Garabit.jpg

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a demonstration of engineering principles, this beats a Powerpoint slideshow any day.

C6E8cxvWcAA2TDI.jpg

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

If you like your Victorian engineering then "The Architecture the Railways Built" on the Yesterday TV channel is well worth catching up on. 

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

22 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Not many of these left.....

I worked here.... I was the finance gadgy in a previous existence 

Barnsley-Main.jpg

There's something truly evocative about pit winding gear.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

1 minute ago, DavidM said:

Them Victorians knew how to build stuff did them Victorians 

Aye, they did an' all.

13 minutes ago, Ullman said:

There's something truly evocative about pit winding gear.

I.know of 4 I think.

Barnsley main no4 (above), the national mining museum at caphouse. There's one near Haydock.(Astley shaft??) and I believe one left in Wales....

Oh aye.... Pleasley may still stand.... that was the last steam driven winding gear in britain

8 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

I.know of 4 I think.

Barnsley main no4 (above), the national mining museum at caphouse. There's one near Haydock.(Langton shift??) and I believe one left in Wales....

Oh aye.... Pleasley may still stand.... that was the last steam driven winding gear in britain

I'm sure Hatfield Main was still standing the last time we went past on the train. 

1 hour ago, Trojan said:

The Millau Viaduct is without doubt a breathtaking structure.  But 80 miles to the north, just off the same road is in my opinion an equally magnificent structure.  Designed by Eiffel, (he of the tower) and erected between 1881 and 1884 is the impressive  Viaduc Garabit.  Built in the middle of nowhere over the Lot Gorge, with a lattice structure to allow for the strong winds that blow in that area (it's windfarm cenrtal)

Garabit.jpg

Beautiful and definitely worthy of a visit.

But I think the French would say it was a product of the Belle Époque rather than the Victorian era ?

The Babbage engine.

Babbage_Difference_Engine_(the_power-sup

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

The Victorians built the first internet.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

13 hours ago, DavidM said:

Bazalgette’s sewer network

In an interesting twist of history his Great-great grandson is Peter Bazalgette the TV producer responsible for Big Brother no Deal or no deal, so from disposing of industrial quantities of excrement to producing it in four generations 

Another good TV series on currently is "building britains canals", until i watched that i had never realised crofton pumping station at the highest point of the kennett & avon is the oldest working steam beam engine in the world still in it's original location. It is a genuine Boulton & Watt installed in 1812

20 minutes ago, SSoutherner said:

Another good TV series on currently is "building britains canals", until i watched that i had never realised crofton pumping station at the highest point of the kennett & avon is the oldest working steam beam engine in the world still in it's original location. It is a genuine Boulton & Watt installed in 1812

Visited it on a school trip in the late 70's/early 80's. Walked past it on quite a few occasions since when walking along the canal. A nice walk. ?

download.jpeg

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

The Zig Zag Railway west of Sydney. Unfortunately none of the photos really show the zig and the zag very well... it went forward down one section, reversed down the next section etc until it got to the bottom.. it’s closed now but I went on a steam train down it before it closed.

21D3E2A3-F7A2-4983-8242-87F8F5B8A8D9.jpeg

685C9127-1D50-4908-B575-06C07BABA7F2.jpeg

Archived