Victorian Engineering Structures

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, Robin Evans said:

I.know of 4 I think.

Barnsley main no4 (above), the national mining museum at caphouse. There's one near Haydock.(Astley shaft??) and I believe one left in Wales....

Oh aye.... Pleasley may still stand.... that was the last steam driven winding gear in britain

The headgear at Hatfield Main & Clipstone Colliery are is still standing 

Hatfield Main

pit hatfield main.jpg

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

I do like to watch all the programmes that are on at the moment about the canals and railways. The engineering, ingenuity and can do spirit on display is staggering. The landscape is literally littered with feats of engineering that boggle the mind, especially when you bare in mind the lack of modern machinery. We really did lead the world but are now very much left behind.

I.know of 4 I think.

Barnsley main no4 (above), the national mining museum at caphouse. There's one near Haydock.(Astley shaft??) and I believe one left in Wales....

Oh aye.... Pleasley may still stand.... that was the last steam driven winding gear in britain

The Haig Pit one overlooking one of the pitches Kells play on is still standing (first photo). There's also an one at the former Florence iron ore mine on the outskirts of Egremont.

Haig Mining Museum, Whitehaven, Cumbria © Ralph Rawlinson cc-by-sa ...

Florence Mine © Copyright Peter Eckersley and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

9 minutes ago, Damien said:

I do like to watch all the programmes that are on at the moment about the canals and railways. The engineering, ingenuity and can do spirit on display is staggering. The landscape is literally littered with feats of engineering that boggle the mind, especially when you bare in mind the lack of modern machinery. We really did lead the world but are now very much left behind.

When they were explaining how the Burnley embankment of the Leeds Liverpool was all built by hand !!

I.know of 4 I think.

Pleasley closed in 1983, Donisthorpe Colliery  was still using steam when it close in 1990.

11 minutes ago, SSoutherner said:

When they were explaining how the Burnley embankment of the Leeds Liverpool was all built by hand !!

Yeah its staggering. I watched one of the great railway journey type ones the other day, about the Alps, and they were talking to an engineer who was building a new tunnel to replace the existing one. He basically said after all these years the time to build the two tunnels would still be about the same. The difference is that instead of 2000 men involved there was now just 70 and it was far less dangerous with no/few fatalities.

There is a proposal to reopen the sealed-off Queensbury Railway Tunnel as a cycling and walking link between Bradford and Halifax. Predictably, the council is, at best, lukewarm about the proposal.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

8 minutes ago, Wolford6 said:

There is a proposal to reopen the sealed-off Queensbury Railway Tunnel as a cycling and walking link between Bradford and Halifax. Predictably, the council is, at best, lukewarm about the proposal.

Is there an old railway tunnel between Huddersfield and Manchester that's sealed ?

8 minutes ago, Wolford6 said:

I thought the council are pro but want money from Highways England as they are the ones planning on spending nearly the same amount on pouring in concrete and sealing it ( i think the numbers are something like £5m to seal safely or £6.5m to restore and  open as cycle route

59 minutes ago, Cumbrian Fanatic said:

The Haig Pit one overlooking one of the pitches Kells play on is still standing (first photo). There's also an one at the former Florence iron ore mine on the outskirts of Egremont.

Haig Mining Museum, Whitehaven, Cumbria © Ralph Rawlinson cc-by-sa ...

Florence Mine © Copyright Peter Eckersley and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence

I've seen the iron ore mine. I didn't realise the one at haig was still there.

The one at barnsley is now grade 2 listed.

14 minutes ago, Marauder said:

Is there an old railway tunnel between Huddersfield and Manchester that's sealed ?

You might be thinking of Woodhead tunnel between Sheffield and Manchester. It was closed to rail traffic several years ago.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

2 minutes ago, SSoutherner said:

I thought the council are pro but want money from Highways England as they are the ones planning on spending nearly the same amount on pouring in concrete and sealing it ( i think the numbers are something like £5m to seal safely or £6.5m to restore and  open as cycle route

The (Labour-run) council are now "for" the scheme  now because people have mounted a campaign and a petition signed by 10,000 people to open the tunnel.  Also, because the Consevative Group on the council has backed the proposal.

[In 2016 in the local newspaper]        A Bradford Council spokesman said: “We are continuing to investigate the options around the future of Queensbury Tunnel. However the tunnel is owned by Highways England and would need a considerable investment of funding to see it re-opened and maintained in the future.”

If you look at the "Supporters" page on the Queensbury Tunnel website, there are no Bradford Councillors on it.

http://www.queensburytunnel.org.uk/supporters/index.shtml

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

19 minutes ago, Ullman said:

You might be thinking of Woodhead tunnel between Sheffield and Manchester. It was closed to rail traffic several years ago.

I finished mining in 1993 and there was talk then of driving a tunnel, towards Manchester, for some reason I thought it was from Huddersfield.

8 minutes ago, Marauder said:

I finished mining in 1993 and there was talk then of driving a tunnel, towards Manchester, for some reason I thought it was from Huddersfield.

The centralised washers at woolley grimey and South kirby cost zillions and only washed coal for a few years. Hardly a good return on the capital outlay.

Similarly the barnsley main refurb.... the colliery closed in 66 and reopened 85 as it took over access the coal barrow colliery was mining. It closed 6 years later.

19 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

The centralised washers at woolley grimey and South kirby cost zillions and only washed coal for a few years. Hardly a good return on the capital outlay.

Similarly the barnsley main refurb.... the colliery closed in 66 and reopened 85 as it took over access the coal barrow colliery was mining. It closed 6 years later.

Thorne in theory had a straight run to the North sea with the Barnsley seam gaining thickness all the way.

7 minutes ago, Marauder said:

Thorne in theory had a straight run to the North sea with the Barnsley seam gaining thickness all the way.

It would have been at least 6ft by Thorne anyway wouldn't it??

My last job in the coal board was at the pfbc project at grimey..... clean coal tech.... the last bit of that project cost 22m..... for just the last two years

20 hours ago, Robin Evans said:

Not many of these left.....

I worked here.... I was the finance gadgy in a previous existence 

Barnsley-Main.jpg

Without knowing quite where that is, my Grandad was a draughtsman who designed quite a few of the pit head structures around the Yorkshire area. 

Edit: not in the victorian era, obviously! 

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

2 minutes ago, gazza77 said:

Without knowing quite where that is, my Grandad was a draughtsman who designed quite a few of the pit head structures around the Yorkshire area. 

Edit: not in the victorian era, obviously! 

Barnsley main no4 shaft Gaz....

No2 shaft was refurbished in the 80s.... perhaps he might have been involved in that?

Just now, Robin Evans said:

Barnsley main no4 shaft Gaz....

I have no way of knowing what he worked on, but subject to age it's quite possible he had at least some input into it. He started with the coal board straight out of Whitwood tech in the early 40s and retired as Chief Draughtsman around 1984.

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

Archived