If the game is to continue in the lower tiers then further investment is required.

Simply waiting for the next payout isn’t  an answer.

Clarification on the next TV deal needs to include the lower tiers along with broadcasting.

I hope SKY have learnt a lesson from this and proceed with a different view In the future. 

The same being under the authority of SL Clubs.

If you want the game to survive, then step out of the wardrobe,

• Confused 3

I thought the Championship clubs were looking at their own broadcasting deals, based on how popular they are? Those cheerleaders have gone very quiet on those, even before the pandemic.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

If Sky see value in the lower tiers they will invest in them. As they rarely show a game from them I think we know what the answer is.

• Like 1

We go around this topic every few days it seems.

I think we all know by now that Nigel Wood bundled the Champ and League 1 in with the Sky deal so that it helped cement his base of support among the non-SL clubs. There never was any 'value' to the TV rights for the lower leagues. I'm sure Scotchy will be along momentarily to remind us of that!

That's one of the reasons that SL felt the need to negotiate their own TV - and we've moved on now. Wood is out. Elstone is in. 

Hence talk from Rimmer and others about negotiating a TV deal for the Championship and L1. Let's see if anything comes from it. I don't think it will happen personally - especially now, in a post-COVID world where even the TV companies are going to need to make savings.

• Like 1

Leigh games in the mid 8's drew better figures than many SL games btw

I wouldn't pay tuppence for TV rights to watch 2 pub teams on a sloping pitch with long grass and weeds coming through. You will get 1 big game per week between 6 or so sides if P&R is alive, let Sky choose the game and the home club gets 100k for hosting it on the proviso they get at least 5000 in, playing Sunday 3-4pm.

8 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

I wouldn't pay tuppence for TV rights to watch 2 pub teams on a sloping pitch with long grass and weeds coming through. You will get 1 big game per week between 6 or so sides if P&R is alive, let Sky choose the game and the home club gets 100k for hosting it on the proviso they get at least 5000 in, playing Sunday 3-4pm.

Where does the 100k for 1 game come from?

48 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I can’t see Sky being keen on showing West Wales v Coventry. 

That's not necessarily true. They've always shown plenty of interest for 11-a-side :kolobok_ph34r:

11 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

You want Sky to pay 100k and the production costs for something that will compete for audience share with their flagship Super Sunday? 

Utterly deluded. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, SL17 said:

If the game is to continue in the lower tiers then further investment is required.

Simply waiting for the next payout isn’t  an answer.

Clarification on the next TV deal needs to include the lower tiers along with broadcasting.

I hope SKY have learnt a lesson from this and proceed with a different view In the future. 

The same being under the authority of SL Clubs.

If you want the game to survive, then step out of the wardrobe,

For Sky to invest in lower league RL, there has to be a return in it for them. 

Championship RL simply doesn't deliver a return for Sky. If it did, they'd utilise the rights that they hold. 

• Like 1

I can only compare to Australia, but I would suggest you need circa 100k live viewers per match to warrant a broadcaster spending money to cover a few matches per week. It’s not just the cost in obtaining the rights, it’s the expense of actually filming. How many would watch fev v bradford?

if you’re only getting 10k live viewers, you’re better off doing a semi-pro job with 2 cameras and broadcast on youtube and make money through advertising. It should only cost a couple k per match. More value for sponsors too. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

Why would Sky pay anyone £100K for a game that they already have the rights to show if they wanted to do so?

The Sky payment you already got - and spent on building your 'promotion-ready squad' - is what you got so that Say could show your games if they wanted to. You ain't getting a penny piece more!

Complete fantasy...

• Like 1

Bigest problem with SKY is thta it is now owned by CNBC and has no more involvement with Ruper Murdoch. This will affect league for there are no aussies with an emotional attachment to Rugby League involved in decision making. CNBC having a wholly different agenda.

Believe it or not it bolis down to does the buyer like you and waht your bring to the party or not. If the byer has no background in the game that could be a problem.

• Like 2

?

The dominant ideas in society are always and everywhere the ideas of the ruling class. And always and everywhere they portray us as stupid, untrustworthy with bad motives. Show us respect sir. We gave you everything progressive there is. We gave you democracy. We demand some too.

Eddie Demsey RMT

There were 17.4m people who voted to leave the European Union.

"Any attempt to try to cast their vote aside, as if they didn’t mean it or didn’t understand the consequences, whereas everybody else did, is a bit of a slur on the individuals who took the time to vote, many of them for the first time

Ian Lavery - Labour party chair  - 29th March 2019

1 hour ago, JohnM said:

can you be more precise about "investment"?

He means donations.

• Haha 1

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

2 minutes ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

Bigest problem with SKY is thta it is now owned by CNBC and has no more involvement with Ruper Murdoch. This will affect league for there are no aussies with an emotional attachment to Rugby League involved in decision making. CNBC having a wholly different agenda.

Believe it or not it bolis down to does the buyer like you and waht your bring to the party or not. If the byer has no background in the game that could be a problem.

You think sky will now drop league because the new owner maybe doesnt like the sport? So they won't look at the payback from their investment, or future projections, they will just ask John in finances if he likes rugby league? 

1 hour ago, dkw said:

You think sky will now drop league because the new owner maybe doesnt like the sport? So they won't look at the payback from their investment, or future projections, they will just ask John in finances if he likes rugby league? 

That's how it works, silly! ?????

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

Sky is owned by Comcast, Comcast also owns NBC Universal which CNBC (TV Channel) comes under. Comcast is the new daddy with no real understanding of RL, unlike the old daddy, News. (Murdochs) 

1 hour ago, Griff said:

He means donations.

thought so.

• Like 1

Four legs good - two legs bad

1 hour ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

The forum has previously decided that it does not like or trust Rupert Murdoch. So the fact he has gone is to be celebrated is it not?

Four legs good - two legs bad

5 minutes ago, JohnM said:

The forum has previously decided that it does not like or trust Rupert Murdoch. So the fact he has gone is to be celebrated is it not?

Damned with them, damned without them. (The Murdoch's) which Will be the more damning? 

2 hours ago, whatmichaelsays said:

You want Sky to pay 100k and the production costs for something that will compete for audience share with their flagship Super Sunday? 

Utterly deluded. 

I presume you are using the word compete in the loosest possible sense.

It's all about the Kick off time on Sunday, obviously doesn't work for us or Sky to have us against Super Sunday, 6.15pm seems to be a decent slot, RL fans can get home from watching at the stadium and watch the TV game, giving a good boost to ratings, plus it avoids Super Sunday. Win win. Spanish football after the RL. 

5 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

It's all about the Kick off time on Sunday, obviously doesn't work for us or Sky to have us against Super Sunday, 6.15pm seems to be a decent slot, RL fans can get home from watching at the stadium and watch the TV game, giving a good boost to ratings, plus it avoids Super Sunday. Win win. Spanish football after the RL. 

If Sky wanted that they'd have done it already.

• Like 1