Make the corner flags in touch again

Absurd. The corner flag cut down the field space in a way that does not exist anywhere else on the ground. It is an artificial obstacle. It was a great rule change that allowed athletes to flourish.

It does show how great some of the try machines of yesteryear like Boston, Van Vollenhoven and Offiah were as with this rule they would likely have 10% more tries over their career.

2 minutes ago, Number 16 said:

Watching the NRL each week all these leaping tries in the corner are now getting plain boring. Put the flags back in touch and bring back skill to wing play.

You make a fair point, although I always thought it unfair to make the the flag in touch when in fact the player's feet might well be in play.  It just makes it easier for the touch judge to adjudicate. 

One of the best rule changes for me . Anywhere else along the touchline you can dive to keep a ball in , shouldn’t be any different for the try line just coz there’s a flag . The anomaly maybe is if a kick hits it then it’s dead . Those tries are some of the best pieces of athletism in all sports anywhere . Incredible 

I’d rather see new rules to limit the number of tries scored from crossfield kicks!

Make tries scored from a kick worth 3pts with no conversion attempt. It would become another layer of tactical scoring like the drop goal. It would encourage keeping the ball in hand and more inventive play.

I know the argument about it being a difficult skill which deserves the reward of a normal try but too many sets end in crossfield kicks, most unsuccessfully.

Making the flag in play is one of the best rule changes in a long long time, some of the tries are spectacular and people I know who don't follow league think the athleticism of them is amazing. It makes the game far more exciting. As has already been said, why should that one little bit of the touchline be any different from the rest? 

1 hour ago, Number 16 said:

Watching the NRL each week all these leaping tries in the corner are now getting plain boring. Put the flags back in touch and bring back skill to wing play.

The flying Superman tries are a massive marketing tool.

25 minutes ago, Damien said:

The exact same skill in wing play is still there, with an whole new range of skills required. Wingers these days are vastly more skilled and have a far broader skillset than those in any other era.

No, no, no, with the corner flag not in play player's now have the opportunity that was not there previously to broaden that skill set, all these athletic twist in the air with a double salchow attached didn't happen overnight when the rule was introduced, it has been developed. Just think what could they be doing now in how it would have further developed if it had been introduced say 40 years or more ago.

The skill has to be enjoyed and applauded and I wouldn't get rid of it.

2 hours ago, Number 16 said:

What particular skill would we bring back that we have lost?

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Just now, DavidM said:

They jump around balancing balls on their noses and eat fish threw at them from the trainers 

I thought he meant they honk horns as part of the try celebration. 

4 minutes ago, dkw said:

I thought he meant they honk horns as part of the try celebration. 

Who knows . They perform yes but to most fans they’re just performing amazing skills at high speed 

2 hours ago, Number 16 said:

I was wondering today if we have ever witnessed such spectacular tries in the games history, so am bemused as to why we should stop those.  

There is a reasonable argument that we fiddle with the laws too much. And I also think that there is an argument that while individual changes may be positive, the cumulative effect is less so.

But I have to say, I can see nothing negative about this change. The sport has lost nothing but has added an extra dimension of skill and athleticism being displayed. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

3 hours ago, Number 16 said:

bring back skill to wing play.

Skill in wing play has never gone , corner flags or no corner flags . Did you see Sami’s finish yesterday . Fantastic skill

2 hours ago, Dunbar said:

What particular skill would we bring back that we have lost?

Hooking, Feeding and Contesting scrums, ball playing props and creative loose forwards, I know they are bringing it back for the 13's in Aussie instead of playing 3 middles and doesn't it make for a better game.

Regarding contested scrums considering how quickly the forwards tire these days and have to be replaced 16 interchanges would be required, just saying.

Archived