Sign in to follow this  
Dunbar

50 points conceded in season by eventual champions

An interesting point made by the commentators in today's Manly vs. Sharks game.

No team in Australian history have conceded 50 points in a game in the regular season and then gone on to be champions.

Two questions.

Has this happened over here?

What is the highest score conceded during the season by a team that have gone on to win the competition?

This would take a fair bit of research so I am relying on the sound memories of forum members!

Leeds lost at Castleford 66-10 during the 2017 regular season then beat the same team 24-6 in the Grand Final.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, M j M said:

Leeds lost at Castleford 66-10 during the 2017 regular season then beat the same team 24-6 in the Grand Final.

I was there for one of those...

3 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Did Wigan win a few years ago when they got thrashed by Wakefield?

Yes, a 62-0 hammering followed by Shaun Wane's bizarre let them book their coaches to London comment.

Old Faithful we never lose at Wembley

4 hours ago, Wigan Riversider said:

Didn't Leigh score 50 against Wigan on general election night 2017❓

They did score 50 against us that season but we didn't end that season as Champions. Leeds did, beating Cas at OT after previously losing 66-10 to them in a league game as was previously posted by Mjm.

Knew Saints would be involved in here under Millward but I hadn’t had time to check. 

Round 7 2002 - Bradford L 54-22. 

Beat Bradford 19-18 in the final. 

1 minute ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Knew Saints would be involved in here under Millward but I hadn’t had time to check. 

Round 7 2002 - Bradford L 54-22. 

Beat Bradford 19-18 in the final. 

Was that the game when Brian Noble said something like "we trained all week to play Tarzan but Jane turned up instead" after Saints rested a lot of players?

39 minutes ago, wiganermike said:

Was that the game when Brian Noble said something like "we trained all week to play Tarzan but Jane turned up instead" after Saints rested a lot of players?

Possibly. This defeat was a week before the Cup Final defeat to Wigan in Edinburgh. There was also the now infamous other incident between Bradford and Saints when we sent a team of kids to Odsal in 2004 after a 21-21 draw on Good Friday with Wigan, that Long and Gleeson bet on. 

9 hours ago, wiganermike said:

They did score 50 against us that season but we didn't end that season as Champions. Leeds did, beating Cas at OT after previously losing 66-10 to them in a league game as was previously posted by Mjm.

I remember being amused that Leigh were rewarded with a holiday for the result over Wigan and at the end of the season they were relegated after losing against Catalans in the million pound game.