Robins bid for loan money

• 2 months later...

6 minutes ago, Manx RL said:

Which other clubs have applied?

I posted this yesterday. remember these 3 saying they were applying a while back but not checked to see if any others have said one way or the other.

At least 3 clubs have said they would be applying/have applied: https://www.totalrl.com/tigers-confirm-loan-application/ https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/neil-hudgell-hull-kr-statement-4281472 https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/leeds-rhinos-queue-slice-governments-rl-bailout-2841290

49 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

I posted this yesterday. remember these 3 saying they were applying a while back but not checked to see if any others have said one way or the other.

At least 3 clubs have said they would be applying/have applied: https://www.totalrl.com/tigers-confirm-loan-application/ https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/neil-hudgell-hull-kr-statement-4281472 https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/leeds-rhinos-queue-slice-governments-rl-bailout-2841290

I said at the beginning the bigger you are the harder you fall even accounting for the TV and furlough money,  it will affect those moreso with their own Stadiums as opposed to those in rented accommodation, letting paying fans back in would/could have been a lifeline but if as the government is indicating it could last 6 months that could tip some clubs over the edge, if this thing gets worse and lasts longer than 6 months the consequences could be devastating to the structure as we know it.

From the article: https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/neil-hudgell-hull-kr-statement-4281472

Hudgell warned that Rovers are facing a long fight for survival but assured supporters that he and his fellow directors are committed to the cause and remain upbeat about a brighter future for the club.

He's off in December, not as committed as you may believe.

2008 RFL Wakefield & District Young Volunteer of the Year

19 minutes ago, Chris Taylor said:

He's off in December, not as committed as you may believe.

I can categorically assure you that Mr Hudgell is going nowhere until a suitable new owner is in place. In his own words 'I am not going to leave the club in the lurch'.

And why would he? He's a lifelong fan and the only significant debt the club has is to Neil Hudgell himself.

On 28/06/2020 at 20:34, Total Rugby League said:

Hull Kingston Rovers have applied for a part of the government’s £16 million loan. League Express understands the Robins have begun the process of gaining...

View the full article

SL club needs bail out money because they can't afford to pay its players. Yet these clubs are going to vote on the readmission of a fellow SL club who struggled to pay its players during the same difficult season. Tricky and a conflict of interest.

5 minutes ago, Scubby said:

SL club needs bail out money because they can't afford to pay its players. Yet these clubs are going to vote on the readmission of a fellow SL club who struggled to pay its players during the same difficult season. Tricky and a conflict of interest.

Clubs cannot use the loan to pay salaries (or at least directly).

1 hour ago, Scubby said:

This is the major issue here, regardless of what the loan money is used for there are SL teams (because I think there are more than HKR who plan to access loan money) who need the loan money but at the same time will decide not only the fate of TWP, but the actual size of SL, given that if they reject TWP they will then have to decide whether they stay at 11 or go back to 12, and if they do go back to 12, how they decide who the 12th club will be, given that there’s no competition to decide who would move up.

I could be totally wrong here but it just feels like SL and the RFL are moving further and further apart.

11 hours ago, Oldbear said:

This is the major issue here, regardless of what the loan money is used for there are SL teams (because I think there are more than HKR who plan to access loan money) who need the loan money but at the same time will decide not only the fate of TWP, but the actual size of SL, given that if they reject TWP they will then have to decide whether they stay at 11 or go back to 12, and if they do go back to 12, how they decide who the 12th club will be, given that there’s no competition to decide who would move up.

I could be totally wrong here but it just feels like SL and the RFL are moving further and further apart.

I think they've already indicated there will be a bidding process if SL turn TWP down and decide to go for 12 in 2021, but I think 11 clubs next year and 10 clubs for 2022 has become more likely in the last few days. It's a Turkeys voting for Christmas scenario at the moment and will remain so until the new Sky contract details emerge.

29 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

I think they've already indicated there will be a bidding process if SL turn TWP down and decide to go for 12 in 2021, but I think 11 clubs next year and 10 clubs for 2022 has become more likely in the last few days. It's a Turkeys voting for Christmas scenario at the moment and will remain so until the new Sky contract details emerge.

11 next year seems quite possible, but I can't see how we get to 10 in 2022, regardless of the size of the next TV deal. SL clubs can't unilaterally ditch 1-up 1-down as that's agreed long term by the RFL, so unless SL clubs voluntarily agree to relegate 2 of themselves, then I reckon we're at least at 11 in 2022, probably 12.

13 hours ago, Oldbear said:

If it's decided that they will go for a 12th team it will have to be a team that adds value to the TV contract, as the clubs wont want their TV money reduced

My spider senses tell me the bidding for the 12th team should TW be rejected (which will be down to funding distribution) will have the caveat of NO SL funding in 2021 - the question will then be was there a parachute agreed for 2020 relegation and will that club get the top Championship money. On that basis I can see Derek going for it as he will tip in the £1m with caveats due to limited time to recruit for SL eg non fed and cap for 2021.

On 27/09/2020 at 10:11, The Future is League said:

If it's decided that they will go for a 12th team it will have to be a team that adds value to the TV contract, as the clubs wont want their TV money reduced

Which club would that be ? IYO ?

6 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

While Hull kr are without an owner/backer for 2021 they shouldn’t receive any of the loan money. There’s no point using the loan money on them only for Hudgell to walk away.

Good point, but if he is prepared to officially guarantee repayment in a set time, then I see no problem.

Archived