Elland Road set for increase to 50,000 capacity

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.leeds-live.co.uk/sport/leeds-united/elland-road-expansion-leeds-kinnear-17102591.amp

Once they are confirmed for promotion to the premier league Leeds Utd will have the funds to develop one side of the ground and increase the capacity. 

To my mind this will be the first time in the modern era where the West Yorkshire heartlands has a decent sized stadium for large events. Can only be a good thing for RL. 

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, The Daddy said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.leeds-live.co.uk/sport/leeds-united/elland-road-expansion-leeds-kinnear-17102591.amp

Once they are confirmed for promotion to the premier league Leeds Utd will have the funds to develop one side of the ground and increase the capacity. 

To my mind this will be the first time in the modern era where the West Yorkshire heartlands has a decent sized stadium for large events. Can only be a good thing for RL. 

As much as I’ve enjoyed Leeds’ fruitless attempts to get back into the top flight, agreed it would be good to have an alternative to Old Trafford and Anfield for the big RL games. 

16 minutes ago, Eddie said:

As much as I’ve enjoyed Leeds’ fruitless attempts to get back into the top flight, agreed it would be good to have an alternative to Old Trafford and Anfield for the big RL games. 

Assuming LUFC would be happy to host RL games., they certainly won't need the money if in the EPL . I'm not sure if it's the current owners or previous ones, but they did object to their ground used for Yawnion, for WC games I think.

1 minute ago, HawkMan said:

Assuming LUFC would be happy to host RL games., they certainly won't need the money if in the EPL . I'm not sure if it's the current owners or previous ones, but they did object to their ground used for Yawnion, for WC games I think.

LUFC have had a positive relationship with RL over the SL era, and the current owners have a particularly good relationship.

3 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

LUFC have had a positive relationship with RL over the SL era, and the current owners have a particularly good relationship.

That's good, perhaps Elland Road for CC Final,  as Wembley seems to be losing its lustre.

Just now, HawkMan said:

That's good, perhaps Elland Road for CC Final,  as Wembley seems to be losing its lustre.

I don't see it as ideal for that but it should become the default option for England games in the North (London getting the Southern ones) as Leeds and London are the places we consistently get the best international crowds.

Its also hosting the non England semi final at the world cup next year. Perhaps it could be a place for Challenge Cup semi finals or other such games due to its central location in the country. 

39 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

Not sure I've ever heard a PL football team say "no thanks, we've got plenty" to the chance of more money. 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

14 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

I've said it before, a revamped elland road would be perfect as RL's home. 

The RFL should be knocking on the door of 10 downing street and putting a 'northern powerhouse, levelling up, buzzword, cliche, buzzword' bid in for a government backed loan to buy in to it and put on 10 events per year.

Not as the sole base, still the CC final and an England international in London and the GF at Old Trafford, magic weekend somewhere else.

But you can have a home for the WCC, CC semis, England internationals, Lower league finals day, then create some more events, 9s weekend, first game of the season as replay of GF, 

Do LUFC own Elland Rd ? If they do it's a bit presumptuous to think they'll be okay with hosting 10 events a year. After 16 years trying to get back to the PL won't they be wanting their pitch in pristine condition to help them stay up. Two or three events maybe, but 10 seems excessive from LUFC's perspective. I've seen a bit of Bielsa's Leeds, they're not exactly Barca's tiki taka but do like to play on the ground.

8 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Hopefully they'll create a stand which can accommodate people who are larger than midgets to sit down in

This

It's all very well extending the capacity, but I always find it an extremely unpleasant experience to sit through games there due to the chronic lack of legroom. It's just down the road from me, but I'm 6 feet 4 inches tall and I'm only going to go if I really must for that reason alone....

Radrizzini the man who owns the club his company owns Leeds United who play there rent free. It will be interesting if the club is taken over by QSI if they will also buy ER too or if Radz stays on as shareholder and keeps the stadium . Anyway surely this thread should be AOB 

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

35 minutes ago, fieldofclothofgold said:

Radrizzini the man who owns the club his company owns Leeds United who play there rent free. It will be interesting if the club is taken over by QSI if they will also buy ER too or if Radz stays on as shareholder and keeps the stadium . Anyway surely this thread should be AOB 

To be fair, it is a discussion about whether a redeveloped Elland Road would be of benefit to rugby league when it comes to staging big games.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

2 hours ago, HawkMan said:

Even premier league clubs want and look to make more money. We don’t use Old Trafford, Anfield and St James Park out of the goodness of those clubs hearts, they rent out their stadiums for the money. 

2 minutes ago, M j M said:

It's another decent option for larger test matches but I wouldn't suddenly be flooding it with Rugby League events.

Yeah as an aside I'd have looked at Elland Road and the Olympic stadium as grounds to part buy into to guarantee games but not commit to fully owning

27 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Be funny as when they get relegated next year ?

Well they haven't been promoted yet and everything is hypothetical 

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

Archived