Elland Road set for increase to 50,000 capacity

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

What is it like for fans of a team that consistently wins trophies? Does the magic disappear a bit? Obviously supporting Hull we do get a trophy every so often but it is still rare enough that it feels truly special. Is it the same when you're winning something almost every year? 

I suppose as a Leeds fan of the past 20 years I can answer (in a way that Leeds fans before could not!)?

Every trophy has its own story. In the last decade we've won 2011/12 grand finals, but in both those years we also lost two cup finals and had middling league campaigns finishing 5th meaning we had 2 extraordinary playoff campaigns.

2014 we won the cup for the first time with the "golden generation" after a few failures. That was obviously a massive highlight. We then totally dropped the ball in the league following that final. 

2015 was special. We were unplayable at times that year. We recovered from the post cup final drop off at the death and won the club's first treble.

2017 was amazing for 3 reasons. 1, recovering from nearly being relegated in '16 with essentially the same squad. 2, the rivalry with Cas that year. 3, Burrow and McGuire retiring. 

There's the WCC wins too that are special and the 4 final victories in the 2000s. But the above summarise how although it seems like "all the time", each trophy holds a special story that goes with it.

1 hour ago, Chris Taylor said:

It won't impact the Rhinos. 

Utd draw fans from all over Yorkshire. Including supporters of many other RL clubs (not just Rhinos).

Leeds in the prem is very good - i'm no Leeds fan btw.

Very true, I reckon a higher percentage of Cas fans may go to Elland Road than Rhinos fans. 

1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

I suppose as a Leeds fan of the past 20 years I can answer (in a way that Leeds fans before could not!)?

Every trophy has its own story. In the last decade we've won 2011/12 grand finals, but in both those years we also lost two cup finals and had middling league campaigns finishing 5th meaning we had 2 extraordinary playoff campaigns.

2014 we won the cup for the first time with the "golden generation" after a few failures. That was obviously a massive highlight. We then totally dropped the ball in the league following that final. 

2015 was special. We were unplayable at times that year. We recovered from the post cup final drop off at the death and won the club's first treble.

2017 was amazing for 3 reasons. 1, recovering from nearly being relegated in '16 with essentially the same squad. 2, the rivalry with Cas that year. 3, Burrow and McGuire retiring. 

There's the WCC wins too that are special and the 4 final victories in the 2000s. But the above summarise how although it seems like "all the time", each trophy holds a special story that goes with it.

Thanks for that, each having its own story is a really good way of looking at it!

I asked a Wigan fan once what it was like to win a lot of trophies and he said he didn't think they won that many. I'm sure I made it clear I meant the rugby team. 🤔

1 minute ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Thanks for that, each having its own story is a really good way of looking at it!

I asked a Wigan fan once what it was like to win a lot of trophies and he said he didn't think they won that many. I'm sure I made it clear I meant the rugby team. 🤔

Or maybe he couldn't count haha!

In all seriousness, I do think you appreciate things differently and have to look at everything afresh. There's also the difference in expectations which changes the pressures on teams. 

18 hours ago, Mr Plow said:

They didn’t even do anything for the treble apart from the New Zealand game, no parade no nothing. Most successful season in the clubs history and they didn’t do anything. I’ve said before I think they’ve become complacent with all the success

I lived in USA for many years and came back at least once a year and used observe the changes in the city . Part of that time was the demise of Leeds United and the rise of Leeds Rhinos . I noticed that Leeds United fans seemed early middle aged men whereas I saw young families of Rhinos fans children in blue and Amber .I then thought this Rhinos brand is working I was wrong criticizing it . Now its swung back again Leeds United mania has swung back again.  RL will, never rival association football in the city it's not like the 1950s early 60s football is The global game ,but we need to Keep our spot in the Sun .Club shop in town ? Even the football club had to close their shop a few short years ago 

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

As for the Magic Weekend ? I always thought it was about taking the game to a non RL area ? What good would it do taking it to ER ? I cant see hotels ,restaurants  pubs and shops etc doing much more business, most RL fans live on the doorstep anyway .just watch their game or one more then home like they always do when they come to Headingley or a game at ER

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

Archived