Bateman quits Canberra at the end of the season

John Bateman and Canberra have announced this will be his last season with the Club.

The Canberra Raiders have confirmed restless English star John Bateman will leave the club at the end of this season.

Bateman has been in the headlines regularly since grand final week last year after he controversially revealed in an interview that he was seeking a pay upgrade and would go elsewhere to get it if he needed to.

Nine months later the saga finally has a resolution with Canberra unprepared to pay him what he believes he is worth.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Allora said:

John Bateman and Canberra have announced this will be his last season with the Club.

The Canberra Raiders have confirmed restless English star John Bateman will leave the club at the end of this season.

Bateman has been in the headlines regularly since grand final week last year after he controversially revealed in an interview that he was seeking a pay upgrade and would go elsewhere to get it if he needed to.

Nine months later the saga finally has a resolution with Canberra unprepared to pay him what he believes he is worth.

He's only going to get a pay upgrade in the NRL, but unless they're going to receive some sort of compensation, I shocked Canberra would release him to a rival club. 

I wonder if its more than just money, and we'll see him back in England next year for family reasons.

For years people have marvelled how John Bateman has played well above his size at second row.

He will miss most, if not all, of this season with a shoulder/collarone injury. The continuing toll on his body must be a big factor in Canberra's decision not to  meet his demands.

As an amateur he was a fullback. He can't play there at the top level but he should tell his next club that he only wants to play loose forward or centre.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

30 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Seems the journalist that Bateman accused of living in fantasy land was correct after all, and it is John himself who tells big Porky's, he should offer an apology.

Nah the journalist said Bateman had asked for a release didn't he? 

The Raiders told him ages ago they couldn't fit him into their salary cap for 2021 and that he was free to speak to other clubs. Both said as much when the journalist was chatting away. Bateman also said at the time that he hadn't spoken to anyone at that point. Now, he obviously has.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Without knowing the detail, it seems that Bateman signed an initial deal stating the terms could be re-negotiated at the end of each year.

Now, after a stand out first season and the Dally M second row of the year award, he wants more. Which if that is how is contract is structured then fair enough.

Have the Raiders actually offered an upgrade as they are stating salary cap limits as a barrier. If they structured a contract in such a way and then haven't offered more, I can see why Bateman would be frustrated. Of course they could be offering an improved deal but he wants more.

A contract with negotiations built in every year is always going to be contentious. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Will be interesting to see where he ends up. I know there was the Wigan rumour but after Lenegan had to put in £500k, are they then going to be able to afford marquee money on Bateman? Think he could, when fully fit, walk into most, if not every, side in the NRL. 

Ricky Stuart has gone off big time about Batemans Manager in today’s media.

Batemans Manager has had his registration  suspended a few weeks ago by the NRL and is appealing it.

10 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

That's not a massive amount of money.

It’s 1.2 million pounds.

Bateman is chasing $800k au or  450k pounds per year in Oz

Bateman is entitled to do as he sees fit , and he’s done well enough to garner admirers , but after what Stuart and Canberra have done for him and how they were upgrading him to a “ very very good “deal  I’m not sure this is a good perception on Bateman and his manager . I’m a bit disappointed he’s leaving but that’s how it is

54 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Will be interesting to see where he ends up. I know there was the Wigan rumour but after Lenegan had to put in £500k, are they then going to be able to afford marquee money on Bateman? Think he could, when fully fit, walk into most, if not every, side in the NRL. 

Leneghan has loaned £500K to pay wages till the furlough money arrives of which he then takes it back.

In rugby terms I just don’t see any logic in him going back to SL . He’s cracked the NRL , he’s a wanted man there and that is where it’s at , end of story . He may have his reasoning , but on the pitch coming here would be a shame and a backward step

5 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Bateman is entitled to do as he sees fit , and he’s done well enough to garner admirers , but after what Stuart and Canberra have done for him and how they were upgrading him to a “ very very good “deal  I’m not sure this is a good perception on Bateman and his manager . I’m a bit disappointed he’s leaving but that’s how it is

Do we know what offer was on the table from the Raiders.

He is currently on $400k and seeking $800k/$850k by all accounts so it would be interesting to see what ball park the Raiders were in on their upgraded offer.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

5 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Do we know what offer was on the table from the Raiders.

He is currently on $400k and seeking $800k/$850k by all accounts so it would be interesting to see what ball park the Raiders were in on their upgraded offer.

All I gleaned was his manager intimating they were ‘ getting closer ‘ to what he wanted when the offer went in , which was seen as a bit disrespectful . They obviously weren’t for budging which is a bit of a shame really 

I hope he and the people whispering in his ear know what they’re  doing as he was on a good thing at Canberra . Good English connection , good coaching from Ricky who really valued them . We’ll see , he’s made his bed 

2 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I hope he and the people whispering in his ear know what they’re  doing as he was on a good thing at Canberra . Good English connection , good coaching from Ricky who really valued them . We’ll see , he’s made his bed 

He still has to fully test his shoulder. 

IMO best advice wouldve been to stay, take what was Canberras final offer.  If his shoulder doesnt hold up - and they are tricky to deal with - he might not be worth much to anyone.

Without sounding like I’m bashing sl, it would be a backward step in his career if he went back there. But I can understand if he wants to be with his family. He’s a good player but I don’t think he’s worth the reported 800k a season he wants, I would say he’s more a 600k/650k player. That alone would make him close to the highest paid Second rower in the NRL. It’d be a shame to see him go if he does go back to super league, hopefully he goes to the dogs because they need all the help they can get right at the moment.

Would have liked to see Bateman stay at the Raiders and help them to another GF appearance. I think its easy to blame the manager, and it seems this fella whose just been suspended fits the mould of your stereotypical players manager, but as Bateman has said, he tells his manager what to do.

From a playing point of view, it always tends to be the clubs lower down the table that have room for such big money players. With Graham leaving St. George, and Tyson Frizell moving on to Newcastle, maybe the Dragons will make a move for him.

Canterbury will also been a name thrown around also, and maybe Wests? Was Bateman at Wigan with McGuire? can't recall.

Personally would like to see him go to a team with a genuine chance of winning a GF. Maybe the Roosters will take a look if Ryan Hall leaves and either of the Morris twins hang up their boots.

Would Melbourne even have cap space with the likes of Vunivalu leaving?

Maybe his options aren't that bad after all.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

Archived