Bateman quits Canberra at the end of the season

1 minute ago, Allora said:

It was reported in the Canberra Times in March this year that..

Jarrod Croker is poised to become a Canberra Raider for life after agreeing to what will be a record-breaking contract extension on the eve of the NRL 

Reckon that makes sense then mate - if the deal is say A$2 - 2.5m overall but over 5 years then that's between 400 - 500k per season which would put him lower than the others. 

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Complaining about paying a transfer fee for a player on a 2 year contract leaving after those 2 years is the height of stupidity. 

Yeah its almost like NRL clubs are that unfamiliar with players transfering and transfer fees that they aren't sure how they actually work!

2 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

I understood Bateman was on 580 and Whitehead 600k. Dunbar has quoted 400k - but whatever it was, is not what is being offered now, which is alleged on here to be 750k.   I dont think anyone is on 800k at Canberra.  Wighton, i think is on 750k

My comment though was based on what you accept to be comfortable and happy.  Big money with unhappiness does not take the unhappiness away and will ultimately result in poor performance long term. 

Yeah sure I think that's what this Fox segment was pointing out - if JB did get 800k then you'd probably have some pretty upset blokes in Wighton/Papalii etc when you consider what they've brought to the team past few years. 

Agree with your second para also - I get it's a short career in relative terms but you see so many move for big money and then it just doesn't work out. Shannon Boyd springs to mind. 

34 minutes ago, Damien said:

Yeah its almost like NRL clubs are that unfamiliar with players transfering and transfer fees that they aren't sure how they actually work!

Doesn't come across as very professional does it? 

1 hour ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Reckon that makes sense then mate - if the deal is say A$2 - 2.5m overall but over 5 years then that's between 400 - 500k per season which would put him lower than the others. 

He has been valued as a $600k per year player.

Don't Canberra get a concession on the Salary Cap as he is a Canberra developed player and has stayed with the one Club so he is only rated as $400k on the Cap?

That would be attractive for Canberra.

Where are you Copa

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

Shame, and that from me, a Wigan fan. 

It would have been great to see him to continue for more years there to survive and thrive in the tough and competitive world of NRL and if he then yearned  for life back in Superleague,  he'd be able to bring that experience to bear over here. 

As it is,  he'll now be in effect playing in a less intense comp with loads of naysayers claiming that he's over rated etc etc. 

Of course, as a Wigan fan, I want him to do well, a worthy successor to O'Loughlin, but I think also its a case of "look what you could have won" 

The worlds a small place. Nothing to say he won't go back to the NRL at some point, despite a 4 year deal. Whose to say he doesn't have certain clauses in this contract.

Great for Wigan and SL, but personally would have liked to see him stay and perform in the NRL.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

Yeah, agree with others, it’s a shame he’s not playing in the best competition after taking it by storm last year. But he’s got a young daughter and if Wigan are offering him marquee money to be in England, then it’s understandable. Great for Super League. 

23 minutes ago, muckymunksy said:

Great to see him back but how they affording is wage? 

Do you mean how are they affording it in a cash flow/P&L perspective or how are they affording it within the salary cap?

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

39 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Shame, and that from me, a Wigan fan. 

It would have been great to see him to continue for more years there to survive and thrive in the tough and competitive world of NRL and if he then yearned  for life back in Superleague,  he'd be able to bring that experience to bear over here. 

As it is,  he'll now be in effect playing in a less intense comp with loads of naysayers claiming that he's over rated etc etc. 

Of course, as a Wigan fan, I want him to do well, a worthy successor to O'Loughlin, but I think also its a case of "look what you could have won" 

Nonsense 

On 02/07/2020 at 10:37, hunsletgreenandgold said:

He did get an upgrade mate yeah - end of last season. Reckon they wanted to tie him down before they had a Bateman situation! 

Also, @Allora the length of Croker's deal might explain why he's not in the top earners - more money but spread over more years? Would make sense at his age to get a deal like that maybe. 

image.thumb.png.1e11a713ea2cc933ac8c2224acdb2a24.png

Curtis Scott to 2023 😄 

Can’t comment on his personal circumstances , he’s entitled to his reasoning , but purely from a playing perspective that’s a bit disappointing when he’s gone there and cracked it so spectacularly . Could have really pushed himself on from that and been up there among the best exports if he’d carried that on 

Good on the lad. He's gone over there, effectively said NRL, completed it mate and is now coming to his home country on a bumper deal that he could never have earned had he stayed. Plus he's close to his family and young daughter, mates etc. And just maybe he doesn't think Oz is all it's cracked up to be (Wigan > Canberra)

Archived